eeColor Processor - CalMAN - 3D LUTs - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 113Likes

post #931 of 942 Old 06-05-2016, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
@bcj

You may have over done your pre GS settings.
Try and avoid using Green for Low RGB white balance.

Wanted to try out JimP sugestion about using the sub controls in CM for the K10-A setup.
Ran a 9261 point profile and a 21 point GS, using autocal. Both GS and 3DLUT were uploaded to the beta Lumagen Pro 4444.

I have used CM 3DLUT with a Lumagen mini from when CM first came out with 3DLUT. For the last few years I have been using the eecolor and ArgyllCMS or Lightspace.

Anyway from what I seen this new CM does a very nice job for 3DLUT's.
The Charts may not be as preety as I can make them, but what I have seen is very good.

ss
Good to hear that it worked well for you.

Did you notice how the image stayed sharp?

Spectracal has sure done a nice job with Calman's 3D LUTs program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 942 Old 06-06-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
For the Low 2pt control, the only adjustment made was -1 for Green.
5% IRE control was never touched (all values at 0), and 10% and 15% both have Green @ -4
Yes the low range from 0 to 25 IRE is hard to get right.
Here are my settings I used in the last Chart I posted using CM.
In the service menu I opened up White balance, Warm.
High RGB. HR 189, HG 174, HB 124
Low RGB LR 68, LG 68, LB 68.
Warm 2, Wide Gamut, Gamma 2.2 or 2.4, Contrast 77, OLED light 42, Brightness 49.
The only setting I changed in the Gray scale settings is Blue high -5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Good to hear that it worked well for you.

Did you notice how the image stayed sharp?

Spectracal has sure done a nice job with Calman's 3D LUTs program.
Yes the PQ stayed sharp, the only issue I can see is some excess ringing. However that is a fairly rare happening.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
Setup dispcalGUI, 2nd link settings for 65EF9500
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post35174522
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post39870898
post #933 of 942 Old 06-06-2016, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Odd question but is it possible to rename the on screen info that pops up when selecting a 3D lut profile on the eeColor? So if I select slot #1 instead of saying "Standard skin tone blah blah" I could have it save "Custom Lut" or something?
post #934 of 942 Old 06-06-2016, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
I had a separate thread regarding an eeColor 3D Lut box and CalMAN to be used with my LG EF9500. After a lot of input from various users, I think I am on the right track and have a very good 21^3 profile for my eeColor, but was hoping for a little more input and help in here for the final tuning (hopefully without having to rerun the profile).

1) Below are my before and after readings of the 3D Lut profile I created. For the before profile I calibrated the 2pt Low/High on the LG for 5% and 100% tracking, then did a quick run through of the 20pt grayscale controls (I already had a calibrated grayscale for my Sammy UHD player since it will not be a part of the eeColor chain so I just copied the settings and verified with a few reads). As you can see, the 3D Lut profile created did wonders for the colors...but knocked the grayscale out of tracking a little. My goal was a Power Curve of 2.25 with a Black Level Target of 0.005 to ramp out of black (per Chad B's custom workflow recommendation). Am I allowed/can I make a few small adjustments to the LG's 20pt controls to bring the grayscale back in line or at least soften the peaks and dips? Nothing major, just a few ticks here and there? If I have been learning correctly, as long as I don't touch the 100% IRE (100 White) controls, the colorspace corrections shouldn't be affected noticeably, right?

2) Below are before and after pictures of a Grayscale Ramp pattern. With the 3D Lut disabled, the Grayscale Ramp has no major/noticeable banding. But with it enabled there is noticeable banding. What would cause this and can I fix it or lessen the effects?

Thanks guys!

I would leave the 21pt grayscale controls alone and set to their default values before making the LUT. I would just adjust the RGB gains and that is it.
sillysally likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #935 of 942 Old 06-06-2016, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Odd question but is it possible to rename the on screen info that pops up when selecting a 3D lut profile on the eeColor? So if I select slot #1 instead of saying "Standard skin tone blah blah" I could have it save "Custom Lut" or something?
Yes, see this link.
ee/ColorBox, LightSpace, and 3D LUT Calibration

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
post #936 of 942 Old 06-06-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Perfect! Thanks.

Also, when I go to redo a profile, should I just turn turn the eeC off using the remote or reset the entire eeColor using DDC reset in CalMAN (assuming I do not mind losing all six slots of data) so the picture is uncalibrated during measurements?
post #937 of 942 Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Perfect! Thanks.

Also, when I go to redo a profile, should I just turn turn the eeC off using the remote or reset the entire eeColor using DDC reset in CalMAN (assuming I do not mind losing all six slots of data) so the picture is uncalibrated during measurements?
There are three places where Calman takes reading in the LUTs workflow...precalibration, during the actual reads for the LUTs and postcalibration. In the reads for the LUTs, the program first resets the values in the memory you've selected to unity. So in effect, its doing a reset internally for that memory. As you said, you can reset all memories using the DDC reset feature. If you're using that precalibration report, it would reflect the LUTs in that memory unless you do use the full DDC reset.

What I find useful since we have 6 memories on the eecolor is to keep my LUTs from previous sessions to visually compare to the current LUTs session. Sometimes, you may want to experiment and see if the difference we see in reports actually show up visually. For example, how does changing the pattern from an 18% constant APL to 25% constant APL affect the picture on a plasma.
post #938 of 942 Old 06-06-2016, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Perfect! Thanks.

Leave eecolor on, select a slot (1-6) that's got a 'null' cube.
You just want to make sure the active memory slot has a 'null' cube. Or turn the eecolor memory off so no 3DLUT is active. That button is on the eecolor remote, when off the eecolor screen will display a 0 to tell you no 3DLUT's are active. 0 is the same as a 'null' 3DLUT.

However I think Calman will do a auto reset of the active memory slot you have chosen, but I would like CM to confirm.

Keep up the good work.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
post #939 of 942 Old 06-06-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Once you connect the eecolor to Calman through the DDC pane, you can't change memory number on the box and I'm pretty sure you can't turn the LUT off via the remote as that appears to just be changing the memory to memory slot 0.

Another way to say that is to be sure to select your memory number on the box before doing the DDC connect process. Then change the 3D LUT memory in the DDC pane to match what you've selected on the eecolor box.
post #940 of 942 Old 06-06-2016, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 123
If anyone is concerned about making sure there is unity lut in a slot that CM will begin performing reads through then just use the eeColor TruVue app to upload unity luts (to all or just a select few) prior to running CM cube workflow.

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
post #941 of 942 Old 06-12-2016, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A question for the Spectracal Team.

If one was to buy an eecolor box new, is there any reason to run the eecolor app to set it up or does the total reset within the DDC window do everything you need it to do. I can see that the window that pops up on the display would not indicate null but if that doesn't matter, then is there any reason like formatting memory, etc. ?
post #942 of 942 Old 06-12-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 318
CalMAN will reset everything we need.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement