How do you correct this the right way? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which is considered the right way to correct this situation?

On a 2 point grayscale calibration on my TV with Red running out long before Green and Blue I have tried 2 ways to correct this.

1 way is to adjust Red and Blue down to meet green on the 80% pattern. Numbers would be like RHigh - minus 40, GHigh -0, BHigh - minus 26.

The other, I tried to match the Red since I know it runs out quickly on the top end. Numbers end somewhere near Rhigh - 0, GHigh - plus 14, BHigh - +2

Lower end on the 30% pattern only changes a few clicks either way.

What is considered the correct way of doing this?

This also goes back to setting the contrast and backlight then. I can't really set those 2 first when I am having such big fluctuations in the grayscale at the 2 point screen. I then have to go back out and start with a new contrast and backlight setting.

Is the first one considered still to be correct or adjusting to the color that runs out a better way?

Also: Is there any percieved difference in doing the 2 point from the disks in User menu to doing the 2 point in the Service menu and then the 10 point from user menu? I guess I mean . is a 2 point in the user menu going to be the equivalant of the 2 point in the service menu?

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
There is no single correct answer. Different displays behave differently, and therefore something that works on one display doesn't work on a different Display.

For instance on the Sharp Elite, in 10 point mode, comes out of the box with a pretty good contrast setting maxed out at 80. But if you turn the 100% RGB control up above it's default of 50 (range 0-100), you'll see that you start clipping, so you have to turn contrast down, which makes calibration very difficult after that point. But if you only turn the RGB controls down at 100%, then it works very well (although the 90% control is extremely interactive with 100%, so you really have to adjust every point while calibrating 100%).

With cuts and gains, the gains always effect the cuts and vice versa. The ony solution is that you recheck your work when you think you have both set correctly until you don't need to adjust either of them.

If you start off with contrast correctly set and backlight set approximately, and you only turn the gains down I've never seen a display cause clipping. Then you can go back and see if you can turn contrast up a click or two, but it's not like you end up starting from scratch, just maybe a click here or there.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page