DTP-94 renewal versus i1D3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a DTP94 that I used 5 years ago with HCFR to calibrate my Sharp DLP projector. I just got a Panasonic UT55 plasma for our bedroom and plan to get a new projector in the next year--probably an LCD. I want to be able to calibrate both of them. The DTP94 has been in a storage shed for the past 2 years without temp control and pretty dusty. I assume, at least, I need to have it recalibrated. The alternative is to get a D3. I expect that a recalibration is going to cost $100-$150. A D3 costs more than that but seems to be a superior colorimeter. What would you do?

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Hands down, I'd upgrade.

The i1 Display 3 is faster, doesn't need dark calibration, supports more display types, is more accurate and reads darker.

The DTP was a great meter when it was new, but it's quite a dated design compared to the i1 Display 3.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, that dark calibration for the 94 is annoying and slow. If mine were new, I would be tempted to use it, even though it is inferior to the D3, but I would have no way of knowing how accurate it is at this point without a recalibration. I think I will just go ahead and get the D3.

Thanks for your input.

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page