Is my projector showing the correct aspect ratio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello people.

My new and first projector ( the BenQ W1070), seems to be displaying older SD video games in an aspect ratio of 4:3, even the Wii and that is set to 16:9. After doing a little reading I think that all SD resolutions are always 4:3? So is my projector correctly upscaling these games?

If so id keep it at that. I'm not really interested in streching it if that's going to be distorting the image. Thanks in advance guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
You analysis is correct. SD is 4:3
What you want is the aspect ratio that will map the source 1:1 if it has it. Looking at the user guide for that model it looks as if auto is your best bet. Will upscale to fit either width or height to maintain the original aspect ratio without distortion.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

You analysis is correct. SD is 4:3
What you want is the aspect ratio that will map the source 1:1 if it has it. Looking at the user guide for that model it looks as if auto is your best bet. Will upscale to fit either width or height to maintain the original aspect ratio without distortion.
Ah, brilliant, thanks for verifying that.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Greetings

DVD is SD ... it is 480i on the disc. It has a pixel structure of 720x480 ... not 4:3.

If a game is originally formatted to 4:3 ... then that is the way it should be played.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub -

post #5 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

If I remember correctly (thinking of the DVD movie Hulk) that some SD DVDs filled the entire screen. Not sure if it's still full screen with upscaling but if it is then why is that, if anything SD is 4:3?

post #6 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
As Michael has confirmed DVD is NOT 4:3 (though you can of course get DVDs that are 4:3 they just have black bars each side of the picture) so not all SD is 4:3. The disc you mention is listed as 1.85:1 on IMDB as per the link below. This should mean that there is a very slight top and bottom black bar on a 16:9 display but if there is a small amount of overscan then this might not be obvious anyway. If you use 1:1 pixel mapping then you should see the slight bars.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286716/?ref_=sr_2

I believe that your games might be 640 x 480 which is a ratio of 1.33 (or 4:3) so unless you use some kind of stretch mode they won't fill the width of your 16:9 screen. My Son had a Wii (with a HDMI adaptor in case it makes any difference) and that used to fill the TV screen but I think there is an automatic 'smart' (stretch) mode enabled for 4:3 inputs. The Wii looked just about OK on a 32" so I imagine it looks a bit soft on a projector, so further stretching won't do it any favours as you say, it would just distort the image.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #7 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I see. I believe the older consoles must have always used 4:3 as the standard back then. The hardware in the consoles must have always rendered in 4:3, so I guess as Airscapes has told me, I'll keep my aspect ratio setting at auto, so I'm showing the proper image size.

I wonder now if my older consoles that has an aspect ratio setting ( I know the Wii does) or the games themselves, should be set to 16:9 or 4:3. I'm thinking the correct answer is set it to 4:3 but when you set a game to 16:9 you see more image area within that 4:3 ratio.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
SD can be 16:9 or 4:3, it depends on the content and the player.

Most DVDs are 16:9 anamorphic, but some are 4:3, the worst are 16:9 letterboxed for 4:3. The player reads the target aspect ratio off the disc, checks it against it's internal settings and decides what the content should look like.

I believe I remember the original Xbox having 16:9 settings and the PS2 as well.

The Wii on the other hand leaves everything in 16:9, so you have to toggle back and forth depending on the game (new Wii games are 16:9, but older virtual console games are 4:3).

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

SD can be 16:9 or 4:3, it depends on the content and the player.

Most DVDs are 16:9 anamorphic, but some are 4:3, the worst are 16:9 letterboxed for 4:3. The player reads the target aspect ratio off the disc, checks it against it's internal settings and decides what the content should look like.

I believe I remember the original Xbox having 16:9 settings and the PS2 as well.

The Wii on the other hand leaves everything in 16:9, so you have to toggle back and forth depending on the game (new Wii games are 16:9, but older virtual console games are 4:3).
That's nit what my projector is showing. I was expecting the Wii to display natively in 16:9 but it's actually in 4:3, strange for a newer console designed around an age of HDTV. I'm only saying this though based on the Wii menu. Never tried Wii games on it yet.

post #10 of 11 Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

That's nit what my projector is showing. I was expecting the Wii to display natively in 16:9 but it's actually in 4:3, strange for a newer console designed around an age of HDTV. I'm only saying this though based on the Wii menu. Never tried Wii games on it yet.

You need to go into the Wii system menu and tell it that it is 16:9. Then you'll also need to set the projector to 16:9. Nearly all Wii games support 16:9 and 4:3, depending on how you configure the console.

The same 720x480 signal is used for both 4:3 and 16:9. On a DVD there is digital information written to the mpeg file about the source aspect ratio so it can auto-configure letterbox/pillarbox, while outputting soley for your selected format. But for an analog signal like on the Wii, there is no flag, so you have to manually toggle the projector when it's appropriate. Upscaling HD players don't have that problem, as HD formats are soley 16:9, so the TV can always get it right.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #11 of 11 Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Guys, I think I may have solved it. I believe that all SD content is 4:3, including games, but can be in 16:9. This is done by anamorphic widescreen, so anything SD that says it's widescreen is anamorphic, not really true 16:9, but it should still be used.

Luckily my projector has a clear aspect ratio setting called anamorphic, which I'll use only for games that have a widescreen capability. If it doesn't, leave it at 4:3 I guess. Have I got all that right?

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page