Mascior's Calibration Disc - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 383 Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

On the Panasonic VT50, I've found that the 5% APL with 18% surround to work best. With the VT50, using a 5% window pattern at 10% level, the pattern is presented lighter probably having something to do with how the panel' power supply works. That causes corrections to be made to lower it. Switch to a 5% APL pattern and you see a significant difference. It translates into content by either crushing or not crushing darker shades before going into black. Some calibrators will still use a windows pattern yet lower the gamma for 10%.
What do you recommend for the Samsung F8500?
rickardl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 383 Old 06-01-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 6,293
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

My disc will work with any software that utilizes a round nearest method and/or software that assumes integer percentages. ChromaPure falls into this category and HCFR can be setup for compatibly. However, I am not sure if CalMAN's engine is adjustable to match my disc's RGB triplet rounding method.

Ryan

That is for patterns at full saturation and CalMAN uses the same rounding assumption. For less then full saturation (saturation sweeps and the ColorChecker) the patterns match what ChromaPure is using.
zoyd is offline  
post #363 of 383 Old 06-01-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 17,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

What do you recommend for the Samsung F8500?

I've been using a 7.5% pattern as the resulting gamma of 2.3 is almost identical to the native gamma.

With that said, I'm not certain that there isn't a better pattern. I've heard 5% with a 25% surround but that seemed a bit extreme.
JimP is offline  
post #364 of 383 Old 06-01-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I've been using a 7.5% pattern as the resulting gamma of 2.3 is almost identical to the native gamma.

With that said, I'm not certain that there isn't a better pattern. I've heard 5% with a 25% surround but that seemed a bit extreme.
ok, but are there 7.5% windows on Mascior's disk somewhere? I see 2, 4, 6.5, 10 and 15% windows and 2, 4, 5 and 10% APL windows.
rickardl is offline  
post #365 of 383 Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
A/V Addicted Member
 
mascior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

ok, but are there 7.5% windows on Mascior's disk somewhere? I see 2, 4, 6.5, 10 and 15% windows and 2, 4, 5 and 10% APL windows.
7.5% patterns do not exist on my disc. However, your are really splitting hairs between 7.5% and the 6.5% patterns that I have available on my disc.

Ryan
mascior is offline  
post #366 of 383 Old 06-01-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

7.5% patterns do not exist on my disc. However, your are really splitting hairs between 7.5% and the 6.5% patterns that I have available on my disc.

Ryan
Yes, I would have assumed the same but...
Jim, do you see any difference at all between using 6.5 and 7.5% windows?
Also, what Cell Light setting do you use on the Samsung?
rickardl is offline  
post #367 of 383 Old 06-01-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

How do you do that?
So I guess it is either round down or round normal.. what should it be for this disc?
I found this comment by zoyd: "Round down is what AVSHD,DVE use and round normal is what GCD and the internal generator use."
rickardl is offline  
post #368 of 383 Old 06-01-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 17,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Yes, I would have assumed the same but...
Jim, do you see any difference at all between using 6.5 and 7.5% windows?
Also, what Cell Light setting do you use on the Samsung?

I'm using a signal generator and used the 7.5% since it was one of the standard sizes.

I wouldn't expect to see any difference between 6.5 and 7.5%.
JimP is offline  
post #369 of 383 Old 06-05-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 13,664
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2950 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
No package deals if you want several of the "disc" options? What format is the H.264/MPEG-4/AVC option? Is that MP4 files?
Stereodude is offline  
post #370 of 383 Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
A/V Addicted Member
 
mascior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

No package deals if you want several of the "disc" options? What format is the H.264/MPEG-4/AVC option? Is that MP4 files?

Hi Stereodude,

 

Sorry, I currently offer no package deal options. However, I might consider an iso and mp4/mkv combo in the future. Yes, the H.264/MPEG-4/AVC is the mp4 file version(no chapters). The newest addition are mkv files with chapter navigation.

 

P.S. You can pm me or contact me via email from the contacts page of my website if you have any further questions:) 

 

Ryan

mascior is offline  
post #371 of 383 Old 12-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Member
 
bilditup1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I suppose prepackaged Blurays aren't happening? There's still no option for them on the site.
bilditup1 is online now  
post #372 of 383 Old 01-01-2015, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
A/V Addicted Member
 
mascior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilditup1 View Post
I suppose prepackaged Blurays aren't happening? There's still no option for them on the site.
Hi bilditup1,

I will be releasing a Bluray disc version and updating my website soon. Unfortunately, it was bumped to the bottom of my priority list as I have other projects in the works.

Ryan
mascior is offline  
post #373 of 383 Old 01-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Member
 
bilditup1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post
Hi bilditup1,

I will be releasing a Bluray disc version and updating my website soon. Unfortunately, it was bumped to the bottom of my priority list as I have other projects in the works.

Ryan
LOL, you gonna tell us what it is, or just hint?
bilditup1 is online now  
post #374 of 383 Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Ryan, just read through the entire thread here, and your finished product sounds exactly the solution to dial in the calibration on my Samsung 60" F5300. Do you still offer it? Could not access your linked website. An AVSHD .iso file would work best as a download option for me; otherwise a pre-burned blu-ray disk though the mail is okay also.

If so, please kindly advise how best to arrange an exchange of material value for your work.

Thank you!
CloseHauled is offline  
post #375 of 383 Old 12-10-2015, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
A/V Addicted Member
 
mascior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseHauled View Post
Hello Ryan, just read through the entire thread here, and your finished product sounds exactly the solution to dial in the calibration on my Samsung 60" F5300. Do you still offer it? Could not access your linked website. An AVSHD .iso file would work best as a download option for me; otherwise a pre-burned blu-ray disk though the mail is okay also.

If so, please kindly advise how best to arrange an exchange of material value for your work.

Thank you!
I am in the process of revamping my entire website and I have other things in the works. However, this is a side project for me and I have other obligations that take priority. I will send you a PM with download instructions for the AVCHD.iso at some point today. Thank you.

Ryan
mascior is offline  
post #376 of 383 Old 12-21-2015, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
A/V Addicted Member
 
mascior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I have finally updated my site and now offer a prepackaged Bluray disc option. I am still working on future side projects moving forward into 2016!

Ryan
mascior is offline  
post #377 of 383 Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
daMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I see that there's now a $5 charge on the website for the mkv download. This is no longer being offered for free?
Turrican4D likes this.
daMaster is offline  
post #378 of 383 Old 09-17-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Turrican4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post
I see that there's now a $5 charge on the website for the mkv download. This is no longer being offered for free?
Appearently not.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Turrican4D is offline  
post #379 of 383 Old 09-17-2016, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
A/V Addicted Member
 
mascior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post
I see that there's now a $5 charge on the website for the mkv download. This is no longer being offered for free?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Appearently not.
The mkv version was never free??...it has always been $5 usd since its final release years ago. However, if $5 is out of your budget...there are a few free option including AVSHD 709 disc iso and files here on AVS.

-Ryan
cadett likes this.
mascior is offline  
post #380 of 383 Old 09-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi,

Just wondered, what is the APL and AL of the 4% APL patterns?
iSeries is offline  
post #381 of 383 Old 09-22-2016, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
A/V Addicted Member
 
mascior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi,

Just wondered, what is the APL and AL of the 4% APL patterns?
Hi iSeries

My 4% APL "EE" style patterns average around 22%. Here are two good threads to reference "APL primer" and "Patterns to measure MLL as a function of APL"

-Ryan
mascior is offline  
post #382 of 383 Old 09-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post
Hi iSeries

My 4% APL "EE" style patterns average around 22%. Here are two good threads to reference "APL primer" and "Patterns to measure MLL as a function of APL"

-Ryan
Thanks Ryan. The maths in some of these threads flies straight over my head lol. Would you happen to know the ARL of the 4% pattern? Background story is, I used this pattern with great results on my plasma using my bluray player, and I'd now like to generate a 3dlut to calibrate from my HTPC using MadTPG, but I'm not sure what % linear light background to choose with the 4% window to achieve a consistent result.
iSeries is offline  
post #383 of 383 Old 09-24-2016, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
A/V Addicted Member
 
mascior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Currituck, NC
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Thanks Ryan. The maths in some of these threads flies straight over my head lol. Would you happen to know the ARL of the 4% pattern? Background story is, I used this pattern with great results on my plasma using my bluray player, and I'd now like to generate a 3dlut to calibrate from my HTPC using MadTPG, but I'm not sure what % linear light background to choose with the 4% window to achieve a consistent result.
Hi iSeries

Utilizing MadTPG I would start with a 25%-30% background at 0% stimulus and step down incrementally towards a 13%-18% background until you reach 100% stimulus.

-Ryan
iSeries likes this.
mascior is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off