1Likes

post #181 of 370 Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Thanks! Im gonna update so I can try the 5% window patterns with Chromapure on my VT50. Tom Huffman seems to be pretty keen on this vs 10%.

Sounds good! Was Tom referring to 5% standard window patterns or APL? The 5% windows on my disc are APL or C(constant)PL patterns. I personally bounce between my 4% standard and 4% APL patterns on my VT50 with phenomenal results! Let me know how it turns out!smile.gif

Ryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 370 Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

Sounds good! Was Tom referring to 5% standard window patterns or APL? The 5% windows on my disc are APL or C(constant)PL patterns. I personally bounce between my 4% standard and 4% APL patterns on my VT50 with phenomenal results! Let me know how it turns out!smile.gif

Ryan
mascior

Does your 4% standard look a little greenish?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #183 of 370 Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

mascior

Does your 4% standard look a little greenish?

Hi JimP,

No, it looks pretty balanced on my VT50. I have trouble deciding whether to use 4% APL or standard...I have my isf day calibrated to 4% APL and isf night calibrated to 4% standard...switching back and forth.smile.gif In the past I had a greenish overcast issues when calibrating both my Panasonic and Pioneer, but found out my meter was the culprit. I then upgraded to my Display 3 Pro and revealed I was about 5 -10% too high on green compared to red and blue. What display are you calibrating? Meter?

Ryan

post #184 of 370 Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ryan,

I'm calibrating a 65VT50 using an i1pro2 and an i1display3pro.

What are you seeing as the difference between 4% standard and 4% APL windows?

Which gamma are you using? One thing that seems to be working for me is the use of BT1886 gamma over 2.22.

As for the meters, I do get a difference between the two and think the i1pro2 is more correct. I'm even seeing a difference between using the i1pro2 with and without a powered hub but not sure which of those two are the most correct. Need to wait till dark to test.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #185 of 370 Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ryan,

I'm calibrating a 65VT50 using an i1pro2 and an i1display3pro.

What are you seeing as the difference between 4% standard and 4% APL windows?

Which gamma are you using? One thing that seems to be working for me is the use of BT1886 gamma over 2.22.

As for the meters, I do get a difference between the two and think the i1pro2 is more correct. I'm even seeing a difference between using the i1pro2 with and without a powered hub but not sure which of those two are the most correct. Need to wait till dark to test.

I would have to say gamma being the biggest difference between my 4% standard patterns vs the 4% APL patterns on my VT50. I try to aim for a gamma of 2.22 - 2.28 when calibrating. I have noticed on mostly dark movies that the 4% standard patterns seem to make the picture look more accurate and natural over the 4% APL patterns. However, my 4% APL patterns seem to work great on just about everything else. I like having the option of switching between both sets of calibrated settings as needed.smile.gif
anta1974 likes this.

post #186 of 370 Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I just released the MP4 version of my pattern disc. All of the file folders are separated and categorized similar to how my pattern disc menus are arranged. Please let me know of any issues and or problems in regard to the playback of these files. Thanks.smile.gif

Ryan
rahzel and fairchild99 like this.

post #187 of 370 Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Sweet. Thank You & good work. I understand that the color checker section was based upon the triplet requested by Chromapure. I own Calman & was wondering if they request the same triplet or is it a different request? Thanks

My Panasonic 60ST60 Settings

post #188 of 370 Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Sweet. Thank You & good work. I understand that the color checker section was based upon the triplet requested by Chromapure. I own Calman & was wondering if they request the same triplet or is it a different request? Thanks

Hi cadett,

Thank You!smile.gif Yes, the triplet integers are different so therefore different requests. My color checker patterns are only compatible with ChromaPure software.

Ryan

post #189 of 370 Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi JimP,

No, it looks pretty balanced on my VT50. I have trouble deciding whether to use 4% APL or standard...I have my isf day calibrated to 4% APL and isf night calibrated to 4% standard...switching back and forth.smile.gif ...snip...
Ryan

You might want to freeze an image where a person's face is to the right of the screen. Then toggle between ISF day and night modes.

post #190 of 370 Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You might want to freeze an image where a person's face is to the right of the screen. Then toggle between ISF day and night modes.

LOL...I already do and it drives my wife crazy during movies!biggrin.gif

post #191 of 370 Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOL...I already do and it drives my wife crazy during movies!biggrin.gif

My wife doesn't seem to mind me calibrating but I try to limit it to when she's not around.

Luckily, she's out of town a fair amount.

post #192 of 370 Old 06-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My wife doesn't seem to mind me calibrating but I try to limit it to when she's not around.

Me too. However my 10 month old will have this trade down in about a week. Nothing makes his day more than banging on my laptop keys biggrin.gif

post #193 of 370 Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Sounds almost like a Lifetime movie. biggrin.gif
post #194 of 370 Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
Quote:

I just released the MP4 version of my pattern disc. All of the file folders are separated and categorized similar to how my pattern disc menus are arranged. Please let me know of any issues and or problems in regard to the playback of these files. Thanks.smile.gif

Ryan

Cool beans, anxious to try it out.

I just checked them out and although I haven't used them in a calibration there is one thing that I thought I'd share. When trying to navigate through them, it would be much easier if there were chapter breaks in the file itself which allows you to simply skip to the next chapter/pattern. Although this isn't a big deal, I can simply just pause the pattern then fast forward until I get to the next pattern and take readings. I don't know if this is even do-able with MP4, I know for sure it is with MKV files as this is the way the GCD disc is setup. On the AVS HD709 MP4 patterns, they don't have breaks, but the files themselves are organized so each file is one pattern and then you can just skip to the next file/pattern.

For example the AVS HD709 MP4 file breakdown for the first few patterns in the 10% grayscale window patterns is:

01-0% Black.mp4
02-10% Gray.mp4
03-20% Gray.mp4
etc....

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #195 of 370 Old 06-16-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Used the newest revision yesterday for my VT50 (6.5% windows). Works great and flows well for Chromapure users.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #196 of 370 Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

After I do a calibration I immediately put on the intro chase scene of Skyfall.

The chase scene shows great detail in color like the fruit stand,the clear sky and clouds,the greens of leaves and grass where Ms Penny sets up for her sniper kill and M's fleshstone is great to judge for red push as she should be pasty white.

So inconclusion the 4% standard gave me the best results on my GT30.I calibrated THX @ 40ftl and Cinema @30ftl... I also Calibrated Custom Mode @ 40ftl with HDMI OFF to use for HDTV viewing to enable the pixel orbitor.

Panasonic engineered the custom mode on these GT30 to be dark in the low end with gamma @ 2.28 at 20ire and Bright at the top end with the gamma in the low 1's in the 90 ire.It produces a nice image but fleshtones can suffer a bit in certain scenes due to the gamma shifts.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #197 of 370 Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Cool beans, anxious to try it out.

I just checked them out and although I haven't used them in a calibration there is one thing that I thought I'd share. When trying to navigate through them, it would be much easier if there were chapter breaks in the file itself which allows you to simply skip to the next chapter/pattern. Although this isn't a big deal, I can simply just pause the pattern then fast forward until I get to the next pattern and take readings. I don't know if this is even do-able with MP4, I know for sure it is with MKV files as this is the way the GCD disc is setup. On the AVS HD709 MP4 patterns, they don't have breaks, but the files themselves are organized so each file is one pattern and then you can just skip to the next file/pattern.

For example the AVS HD709 MP4 file breakdown for the first few patterns in the 10% grayscale window patterns is:

01-0% Black.mp4
02-10% Gray.mp4
03-20% Gray.mp4
etc....

Hi fairchild99,

I wasn't aware that the GCD mp4 files had chapter pointsconfused.gif...then again I've only viewed about half of them. Unfortunately, all of my pattern sweeps were encoded as one video file and chapter point were then added in Adobe Encore. Anything short of re-encoding all of my sweeps to add chapter points or individual chapter pattern encoding...what I have currently is the best I can offer...for now.smile.gif

Ryan

post #198 of 370 Old 06-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi fairchild99,
I wasn't aware that the GCD mp4 files had chapter points
confused.gif
...then again I've only viewed about half of them. Unfortunately, all of my pattern sweeps were encoded as one video file and chapter point were then added in Adobe Encore. Anything short of re-encoding all of my sweeps to add chapter points or individual chapter pattern encoding...what I have currently is the best I can offer...for now.
smile.gif

Ryan

Yep it's cool, it's useable by just pausing then jumping ahead 5 minutes and that pops up the next pattern. I don't remember if the GCD MP4 version has chapter breaks/points, but the MKV version does. Thanks again, I used your 4% APL windows in Custom mode on my S60 and it came out pretty close to my Cinema settings using the AVS HD709 window patterns (15%). Thanks again for providing us with yet another solid calibration disc/media files.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #199 of 370 Old 06-16-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Used the newest revision yesterday for my VT50 (6.5% windows). Works great and flows well for Chromapure users.

Good deal! The funny thing is I put 6.5% windows specifically on my disc for Panasonic Plasma calibration(based off of THX) and haven't used them once on my own VT50. I've been using my 4% standard and 4% APL patterns the past few sessions with good results. What was your average gamma with the 6.5% windows...on what gamma pre-selection(i.e. 2.2, 2.4, 2.6)?

Ryan

post #200 of 370 Old 06-16-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Yep it's cool, it's useable by just pausing then jumping ahead 5 minutes and that pops up the next pattern. I don't remember if the GCD MP4 version has chapter breaks/points, but the MKV version does. Thanks again, I used your 4% APL windows in Custom mode on my S60 and it came out pretty close to my Cinema settings using the AVS HD709 window patterns (15%). Thanks again for providing us with yet another solid calibration disc/media files.

Thank You!smile.gif It was a lot of hard work...but well worth it in the end! I figured what's the point in making a disc if I couldn't share it with all the people here on AVS forum! I'm glad it worked for your S60 calibration!smile.gif

Ryan

post #201 of 370 Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Good deal! The funny thing is I put 6.5% windows specifically on my disc for Panasonic Plasma calibration(based off of THX) and haven't used them once on my own VT50. I've been using my 4% standard and 4% APL patterns the past few sessions with good results. What was your average gamma with the 6.5% windows...on what gamma pre-selection(i.e. 2.2, 2.4, 2.6)?

Ryan

2.25 with 2.4 setting.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #202 of 370 Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hi Ryan,

I ran a couple of test runs last week to get used to the pattern routine as i'm using Calman at the moment and today ran a full re-calibration of Day/Night ISF and boy what a difference, I found ..

Calibration was a lot quicker

Less re-runs, got to target a lot quicker than usual

Flat Gamma across the board ~2.22

I settled on 35fl for night and 48fl for day and the PQ is the best I've seen from this set, even the wife walked in and said WOW smile.gif

I just want to say thank you for all the hard work you've done to create this disk and will be my preferred disk from now on, thank you so much and keep up the hard work, really appreciate it!

Ty.
post #203 of 370 Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi cadett,

Thank You!smile.gif Yes, the triplet integers are different so therefore different requests. My color checker patterns are only compatible with ChromaPure software.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! Do you or anyone else for that matter, know of a disk that contain the correct color checker patterns for Calman?

By the way, I never thought a calibration disk could look bada@#, but you pulled it off.

post #204 of 370 Old 06-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Thanks Ryan! Do you or anyone else for that matter, know of a disk that contain the correct color patters for Calman?

By the way, I never thought a calibration disk could look bada@#, but you pulled it off.

I used this disk, use 100% white pattern from the 11 point patterns for the CMS reference 100%, then selected the pop up menu, select 75% colour.

You then have to just skip yellow in the routine pattern call and skip back to yellow when it asks for it, quite easy really.
post #205 of 370 Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post

I used this disk, use 100% white pattern from the 11 point patterns for the CMS reference 100%, then selected the pop up menu, select 75% colour.

You then have to just skip yellow in the routine pattern call and skip back to yellow when it asks for it, quite easy really.

Sorry, I should have not worded that question the way I did. I was referring to the color checker patterns that Ryan created. They were designed to work with Chromapure.
The method you described is the way that I do CMS work also. Thanks for the reply.

post #206 of 370 Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post

Hi Ryan,

I ran a couple of test runs last week to get used to the pattern routine as i'm using Calman at the moment and today ran a full re-calibration of Day/Night ISF and boy what a difference, I found ..

Calibration was a lot quicker

Less re-runs, got to target a lot quicker than usual

Flat Gamma across the board ~2.22

I settled on 35fl for night and 48fl for day and the PQ is the best I've seen from this set, even the wife walked in and said WOW smile.gif

I just want to say thank you for all the hard work you've done to create this disk and will be my preferred disk from now on, thank you so much and keep up the hard work, really appreciate it!

Ty.
Hi Hitman,

Thank you for the kind words and glad to hear my disc will be your go to pattern source when calibrating!smile.gif

Ryan

post #207 of 370 Old 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks Ryan! Do you or anyone else for that matter, know of a disk that contain the correct color checker patterns for Calman?

Hi Cadett,

Thank you...I'm glad you like the disc!smile.gif Though you may want to check out Neil's(ndaa75) CMD HD calibration disc...it should have what you're looking for!wink.gif

Ryan

post #208 of 370 Old 06-28-2013, 02:31 AM

Liked: 10
Is anywhere a good tutorial how to make a Disc like that?

I want to make a disc, especialy for plasma. Who has pioneers washer or Scroling bars included to each Grayscale/Gamut pattern and by the popup menu choisable.

Do i need Photoshop or what else to make the patterns?

Thanks for any advice.
post #209 of 370 Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miSta1982 View Post

Is anywhere a good tutorial how to make a Disc like that?

I want to make a disc, especialy for plasma. Who has pioneers washer or Scroling bars included to each Grayscale/Gamut pattern and by the popup menu choisable.

Do i need Photoshop or what else to make the patterns?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi miSta1982,

If you reference the first post of this thread, I gave a brief overview of the steps I took in creating my pattern disc. FYI, there is a lot that goes into creating and authoring a calibration disc from scratch! It took me months of research, thread reading, PM's, and that's before I created my very first pattern. If you happen to checkout the credits page on my disc, I list all of the knowledgeable people and software that made my disc possible. This task can be accomplished using numerous methods and since i'm the most comfortable with Adobe products, that's the route I chose. Here is a link to help get you started http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration/1650#post_16837914 and feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.smile.gif

Ryan

miSta1982 likes this.

post #210 of 370 Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ryan
Thanks for the MP4 version and all of your work mascior. smile.gif
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page