Plasma Pain - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I had a chance to calibrate one of my bosses TV last night and it really didn't go so well.
TV is a Samsung PN43D4500 plasma.
I had to use my DPG2000 as I had traveled to my companies corporate office and he had no BRP.
All the user level stuff was fine Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, aspect ratio, auto everything off.
The display only has a 2 point which is in the user user menu.

I used the the DPGs smallest patterns I think they are 2 or 3 percent as they are smaller than Chads 4% patterns.
Meter initially was a C6 profiled to an i1pro
Took a full 10 point run, green was low red blue high on warm 2.
Gray scale ramp and gradient looked a bit red but not bad.

Started a 2 point and found the controls not very responsive at all When 100/30 was close 50,60,70 read very low on green. Tried 30/80, tried splitting difference and finally looking a gray ramp and gradient and it wa GREEN

Next tried windows, no change patten still showing green deficiency

Running out of time, I remembered I had Chads APLs on the DPG and tried them, not much change..

So in the end reset 2point to default center and called it a night.

What was I doing wrong, Patterns look white but weak on green, ramp is GREEN!
Yes I did try reducing contrast, no change... and trying both color spaces.. and switched to i1pro to eliminate profile issue, and cursing eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 314
This reminds me of older Panasonic plasmas (700u and older) that got really green with full fields. Seemed to be something related to the ABL circuitry.

Couple of things you could check: you could try measuring some sections of the gradient grayscale ramp. How green dominant is it? You could also try taking a run with full fields just to see if the green emphasis is determined by how much screen area is used. Maybe the different style APL windows on the GCD or the AVS 709 Large APL windows would help, but I know you don't have a BD player on it. Also, if you have a cable or other HD video source available, try turning the color all the way down and see if the B&W picture is greenish or not.

I remember when I was calibrating those old Pannys with that characteristic, I didn't have all these new APL windows to experiment with. I was able to experiment with different window sizes and fields, though. Since I wasn't dealing with 10 point controls, I could use large windows which would show green at a midpoint between the full emphasis of fields and deficiency of small windows. That may be something you could try- largish 25% windows or similar.
fathermurphy likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-23-2013, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

This reminds me of older Panasonic plasmas (700u and older) that got really green with full fields. Seemed to be something related to the ABL circuitry.

Couple of things you could check: you could try measuring some sections of the gradient grayscale ramp. How green dominant is it? You could also try taking a run with full fields just to see if the green emphasis is determined by how much screen area is used. Maybe the different style APL windows on the GCD or the AVS 709 Large APL windows would help, but I know you don't have a BD player on it. Also, if you have a cable or other HD video source available, try turning the color all the way down and see if the B&W picture is greenish or not.

I remember when I was calibrating those old Pannys with that characteristic, I didn't have all these new APL windows to experiment with. I was able to experiment with different window sizes and fields, though. Since I wasn't dealing with 10 point controls, I could use large windows which would show green at a midpoint between the full emphasis of fields and deficiency of small windows. That may be something you could try- largish 25% windows or similar.

Thanks Chad, glad I am not going nuts or doing something stupid. I did upgrade Calman from 5.0 to 5.1 during the day before I did this one (not so good an idea when you know the version you have works well), as I had done a sharp with no issues using 5.0 the night before .

I was going to try and measure a ramp after I tried the standard windows and your 4% APLs with no improvement but I was running out of time and had to bail.
I feared there was going to be problems from the first clicks of the offsets and gains when I first started the 2 point. The measured reading did not seem to respond to the changes to the controls. Red and blue could be reduced 3/4 of the scale travel with very little change in the measured mix. I was using relative charts by now since it was 2 point and gamma was fairly flat on my first 10 point run.

Unfortunate I won't have the ability to try and diagnose the root cause since I am now home at home and the TV is in OH. Just getting the Brightness, contrast, gamma, and color temp (warm 2) set was an improvement. My boss is also now fascinated with calibration, so you may be getting a call if he decides to get his ST50 done at his primary residence.

I am almost disappointed he brought this Samsung to his secondary home for me to do, I would have had a better outcome doing the 27" Sony CRT he replaced! wink.gif
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page