Spyder4TV HD vs C3/Calman - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the Spyder4TV HD worth a darn? I have an older Panasonic P58V10 that I fear is suffering from the rising black levels this TV is known to suffer from. I have limited picture adjustments (at least in modern day comparison) so I am considering the Spyder4TV HD as a good compromise between cost and function. My only concern is that is doesn't really help to adjust a lot of this (Contrast, brightness, and color). This may be all I need? I've used the AVS709 disc with brightness, contrast, color and tint (with blue filter) test patterns.

I'm certainly a novice in regards to calibration. Thoughts? Would I get any value? Should I be looking at the C3 meter with Calman?

I see that with Spyder the software tells you what values to change and what to change them do, does the Calman software do the same?

I know these questions are remedial at best and very basic for most of you. I appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 AM

I'm actually also in the same place and you. I'm a novice and just want to calibrate my panasonic gt50. I was debating between the c3 and thw spyder4. I decided the spyder4 would be my best option because datacokor told me that they can recalibrate it at minimal cost when it drifts over time and the c3 cannot and only has a accuracy lifetime rating of about 2-3 years max (this came straight from from a spectracal employee). Though the spyder tv software is not so great (as expected), I purchased the spyder with the intention of using the calman software hoping it would do the job.
Anyways, im interested to see what the pros have to say about all this.. glad you started this thread
post #3 of 10 Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
We can absolutely recalibrate a C3.

It just cost more than a new C3. Speaking to the costs of service, I wonder what the actual price of a spyder re-calibration is, because I've never heard of datacolor offering that before. If you want a meter that is actualy is more stable over time, then a i1 Display Pro is a better choice than any meter that has exposed filters.

As to they way our software works, it doesn't fixate on the controls your TV has. It gathers the data and shows you what the issues are. We offer guidance on which controls affect the data you're looking at.

Honestly if you only have contrast, brightness, color and tint, a meter isn't going to help you setup your TV much more than a disc will. Calibration with a meter really starts when you start adjusting the White balance controls and if you don't have access to those adding a meter to a calibration disc might help you change tint or color by a click or two, but it won't have the drastic impact that adjusting grayscale can provide.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #4 of 10 Old 03-28-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks sotti for your input. The actual controls i have are: Make a difference on the calibration capabilities of my set?

contrast:
bright:
color
tint:
sharpness
color temp: warm1, warm 2, cool1 etc

Pro Settings
w/b high r: 0
w/b high b: 0
w/b low r: 0
w/b low b: 0
black extension:
gamma adjustment:
panel brightness:
contour emphasis:
agc: off

Service Menu Adjustments:

RGB Cut
Red : -1
Green : +1
Blue : -2

RGB Drv
Red : -10
Green : +1
Blue : +19
post #5 of 10 Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like you do have white balance cuts and gains.

Being able to adjust those should give you the ability to significantly improve your image quality. You won't need to use the controls in the service menu. The options available in the user menu will be sufficient.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM

On the same note as the original Question (not trying to hijack the thread) I have a spyder2express colorimeter that is at least five years old that I use about once a year for PC monitor calibration.
Two new TVs are coming my way and was thinking maybe I should invest in a TV calibration HW/SW since there are no ISF calibrators in my area.

Here are the options I'm considering:
1. Buy Calman 5 Basic for $150 and use my old spyder2express meter
2. Buy a new Spyder4TV which includes a new meter and the SpyderTV software for $130
3. Buy a Calman 5 bundle with the C3 meter for $250.

I would like to go with option 1, but was wondering whether using a spyder2express that is a few years old would give me skewed results.

Using an old meter would give me say 98% accuracy vs a new one? or it would give me 60% accuracy? That's what I'm trying to understand here.

Comments recomendations are welcome

Please Help
post #7 of 10 Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to add another option you can also get the C3 with tutorial and upgrade to CalMAN Basic if you feel you need the extra features.
http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/calman5-bundles/c3.html

I would definitely replace the meter though.

I would say a 5 or 6 year old spyder 2 would be much closer to 60% than 98%.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #8 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 AM

I have calman5/c3 tutorial for a week. Still in learning course. It can calibrate multi point grayscale, CMS, set Colour Temperature. Still need to figure out how to do multi point gamma . Don't have time for that yet. For the money, the package is a great deal. I am come from HCFR with dtp94 meter. The calman is easy to use when you spend some time to learn about its workflow and all button at top left corner function. The meter is slow so need to increase delay time from 0.5 to 1 or 1.5 so when reading in series it has enough time to read and the player to change pattern.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 AM

Hopefully not hijacking your thread here but oddly enough I just bought a 65" VT60 and was looking at the C3-CalMAN bundle as well. I am a complete newbie to HDTV calibration (my 1st post on AVS in fact) but am kind of a closet geek and done a ton of forum reading and YouTube watching lately regarding this stuff in an attempt to bone up on it.

I took a (huge) leap forward with the VT60 as my previous TV was something that was around before Vince Neil got all fat (yes...I am a child of the 80's with a haircut & a job all grown up...) The 32" behemoth must have weighed a couple hundred pounds and was impossible to get your arms around. Even the guys from Goodwill didn't want the poor old hulk.

That said I am thinking the CalMAN "autocal" feature seems tremendous. Is the C3 meter an effective one for the VT60? Is there anything I can do in addition with different hardware (for example I notice they also have a C6 bundle) or can I get pretty darn close with the C3? I am hoping to dig more into calibration as more of a hobby but would like to get the most out of what I am purchasing. Thanks all!biggrin.gif

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Samsung HT-E550W
post #10 of 10 Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsure View Post

Hopefully not hijacking your thread here but oddly enough I just bought a 65" VT60 and was looking at the C3-CalMAN bundle as well. I am a complete newbie to HDTV calibration (my 1st post on AVS in fact) but am kind of a closet geek and done a ton of forum reading and YouTube watching lately regarding this stuff in an attempt to bone up on it.

I took a (huge) leap forward with the VT60 as my previous TV was something that was around before Vince Neil got all fat (yes...I am a child of the 80's with a haircut & a job all grown up...) The 32" behemoth must have weighed a couple hundred pounds and was impossible to get your arms around. Even the guys from Goodwill didn't want the poor old hulk.

That said I am thinking the CalMAN "autocal" feature seems tremendous. Is the C3 meter an effective one for the VT60? Is there anything I can do in addition with different hardware (for example I notice they also have a C6 bundle) or can I get pretty darn close with the C3? I am hoping to dig more into calibration as more of a hobby but would like to get the most out of what I am purchasing. Thanks all!biggrin.gif

Take a read here.. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1487208/colorimeters-and-spectrographs-questions/0_100
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page