Mini-3D and calibrating 3D on Sammy Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
(Also posted in Video Processors Forum)
I have a Sammy plasma - PN51E8000. I've calibrated the the display using CalMan5 and my i1Pro, and for what i can do, things look great. 10 pt GS is below dE of 1, CMS primaries/secondaries are below 3, and the "color checker" shows all swatches at decent ( below 4) dEs. BUT - I cannot calibrate the 3D of this display very well. GS is limited to only cuts and gains, and the CMS cannot be changed from the single custom calibration that you get from a 2D calibration. The Mini3D seems like a fix (though expensive) so I'm considering putting it into the chain. I do have a few questions: 1) It looks like I can store several configurations with the Mini. Will it automatically select the correct profile (2D or 3D) when I switch the display? 2) Has anybody calibrated a similiar display for the 3D output? I assume that, using Calman, I can force the display into 3D mode, attach and connect the active glasses, and run an autocal for the Mini. 3) If I autocal the display in 2D using the Mini, and also autocal the display in 3D, how do I assign the results to the proper output?

Thanks for any input you can give. I'll probably also post this in the Calibration forum to see how the pro calibrators play the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post

1) It looks like I can store several configurations with the Mini. Will it automatically select the correct profile (2D or 3D) when I switch the display?
Yes, you can set it up to work that way. The radiance UI has a bit of a learning curve, but you can set it to use CMS slot #0 for 2D and CMS slot #1 for 3D content and it will automatically switch when 3D content is played.

Quote:

2) Has anybody calibrated a similiar display for the 3D output? I assume that, using Calman, I can force the display into 3D mode, attach and connect the active glasses, and run an autocal for the Mini.

I've calibrated VT25's and VT30's in 3D with a radiance. You do have to feed the radiance a 3D signal to get it to kick over, in my experience. I haven't seen a way to do it via the radiance UI, not to say it isn't there.

As to the glasses you can either run the calibration with the glasses taped on to the meter on a tripod, or do profiling.
Quote:

3) If I autocal the display in 2D using the Mini, and also autocal the display in 3D, how do I assign the results to the proper output?

Inside CalMAN you can specify what CMS memory slot you want to calibrate, so after calibrating 2D you just change the slot to the configuration you told the radiance in step 1 to use for 3D.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the reply, Joel. You wrote "I've calibrated VT25's and VT30's in 3D with a radiance. You do have to feed the radiance a 3D signal to get it to kick over, in my experience. I haven't seen a way to do it via the radiance UI, not to say it isn't there." I guess I'd need to launch a 3D BR through the Radiance, and once that's going, disconnect the HDMI cable from the radiance, plug in my PC HDMI cable, and launch CalMAN (selecting the Radiance as the signal generator)?
post #4 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 165
you don't have to plug your laptop's HDMI cable in.

The radiance generates it's own patterns, which simplifies the process quite a bit.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page