Blue Filter VS Calman 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have the i1Display Pro colorimeter +Calman 5.1 (latest FW)+ AVS 709 disk ( I used window patterns). I have calibrated my 60" Pioneer Kuro NON ELITE using this equipment.
I have only the Colour & Tint "slider" bar, as well as the usual Brightness, sharpness.... etc adjustments on my TV. Pretty straight forward !!

I have calibrated the set for colour & tint using the blue filter method with (Spears & Munsil HD disk as well as DVE HD BD disks) & in conjunction with Calman 4.X. When using the disks & filter I get (colour = +4 & Tint = Red 4).
I have also calibrated the set for colour & tint using Calman 5.0. When I used Calman 5.0, I got (colour = 1 & Tint = Red 1).
Yesterday, I used the Calman 5.1 software and I started to look at the "Quick Analysis" CMS chart.

With the TV settings at (colour = +4 & Tint = Red 4) my Delta 2000 chart was below 5 and below 3 for all primary and secondary colours with 100% white at 4.3 & 75% white at 4.9.
With the TV settings at (colour = 1 & Tint = Red 1) my Delta 2000 chart was just slightly better for all primary and secondary colours than the above.

I decided to adjust the TV settings to (colour = 0 & Tint = 0). With the TV settings at (colour = 0 & Tint = 0) my Delta 2000 chart was now below 4 and well below 3 for primary and secondary colours with 100% white at 4.1 & 75% white at 4.2.

Question: Which method should I use for colour & Tint, the disks & blue filter or Calman 5.0 or 5.1?

BTW real world material on Sat/ & BD (Oppo 93), looked very good, skin tones looked natural for both the (colour = 0 & Tint = 0) & (colour = +4 & Tint = Red 4) I could not tell them apart.

Thanks
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
You got it right, what looks best.. 0 and 0 seems to be what looks best on every set I have ever messed with but in the end, you need to watch content and tweak these as needed. Truth is, these 2 settings are not really required with HDMI, sort of like sharpness.. the manufactures keep putting them in to keep the customer happy that thinks he needs them.. . My projector from 2005 has no color or tint control when using HDMI (they are grayed out). Component yes, HDMI No..
post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

My projector from 2005 has no color or tint control when using HDMI (they are grayed out). Component yes, HDMI No..

Color and Tint come from the days when analog signals got out of sync. The Y was transmitted on one radio frequency for B&W broadcast and CrCb was broadcast on separate radio frequency.

In the digital age, there is no valid reason for a color and tint control, and if 0,0 isn't the correct setting, then something else was done incorrectly inside the TV.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #4 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
A while back in the < $3000 projector forum there was a guy pissed off and crying because his new BenQ projector had the color and tint grayed out with HDMI.. No matter what people told him, he NEEDED color and tint ..I just had to laugh.. he returned it for an Epson so he could alter those settings that probably were perfect at 0 and 0..
post #5 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I do find the need to make small changes to color/tint on my Panasonic Plasma from 2008 and on my various Samsung LCDs. Usually, I end up turning down color a few clicks (2-4 or so) and changing tint by one or two clicks. All these displays have working color/tint controls with the HDMI inputs. I'd say having color/tint on a modern display has some value, especially if there is no CMS and the primaries are too bright or dim and the secondaries have significant hue errors. In theory, color/tint should be perfect at the defaults/midpoint but I have found they are usually close but not dead on for my various flat-panels. YMMV.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

To the original poster ...

I have found in the many sets that I have played with that blue only method works sometimes and sometimes the red with a meter method works better. And then sometimes, neither of the methods are categorically right or the best.

The blue method often gives you an answer on the high side of the color range, Mark that.

The red method often gives you an answer on the low side of the color range. Mark that too.

You now have a range and sometimes people split the difference and go right up the middle. But then I also show people that one click on either side of that choice really doesn't amount to much at all.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thank you all very much for the responses.....I feel somewhat privileged to be chatting with you guys. I have read so many of your very knowledgeable posts (Michael TLV, PlasmaPZ80U, Sotti, airscapes).

I agree with PlasmaPZ80U, having color/tint on my display has some value, especially since I have no CMS.

BTW, great show last week Michael, I saw you on the Home Theatre Geeks podcast.

PS. If any of you guys are ever in Toronto, please PM me I would love to have my new TV (hopefully the new Panny 65ZT60 ) professionally calibrated.

Thanks
Paul
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page