Beginner Calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I swear there was a sticky before about how to start up with calibration...maybe I'm blind or just stupid...

Anyhow. I'm a beginner at calibration and I'd like to calibrate my two tv's and my gaming monitor. I was looking into the spyder deals and almost pulled the trigger until I decided to look a little further into this. I'm glad/annoyed that I did! wink.gif It appears there are quite a few different beginner/consumer level calibration packages to be had. What I don't know how to figure, is what suits my needs.

I'm thinking I need, multi-display calibration and software compatibility. I THINK I've read that most of the low cost units can't make use of other software, but I'm not quite positive.

If anyone has a link about what to expect or tutorials of any kind that are reliable, please link them. I realize that google is my friend, but I'd like to be able to trust what I'm reading. Is there a product comparison chart out there with the most popular models? What about a software comparison?

Oh, I'm thinking my budget is about $200, which I figure is enough to learn on. I might be able to bump it up a bit if necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES = free

Fork of HCFR = free

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration = free (can look up other calibration disks such as the GCD which is also pretty good.)

Colormunki Display (based on new i1Display 3) = under your price point

If you want to spend more you can get the pro version, but from what I've read they both should be equally accurate.

This is the method I used when I started to learn calibration. Except I bought the i1DisplayLT (based on the i1Display 2) and the original HCFR. This method is primarily for calibrating your display devices such as TV's, for doing monitor's not sure if the Colormunki does it, I know the Pro version might have the needed software.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #3 of 31 Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Fork of HCFR = free

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration = free (can look up other calibration disks such as the GCD which is also pretty good.)

If you want to spend more you can get the pro version, but from what I've read they both should be equally accurate.

This is the method I used when I started to learn calibration. Except I bought the i1DisplayLT (based on the i1Display 2) and the original HCFR. This method is primarily for calibrating your display devices such as TV's, for doing monitor's not sure if the Colormunki does it, I know the Pro version might have the needed software.

TY
post #4 of 31 Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you are going to use HCFR, look into this one: http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODIS3-Xrite-i1Display-Pro/dp/B0055MBQOW

Larry
post #5 of 31 Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Funny, I'm doing the same thing. I looked at the CalMan software, the Eye One match 3 and HCFR and opted for the HCFR. My budget is tighter than yours and I opted for an iOne 2 off ebay for $27 delivered. I've just started playing with the software and while a little complex I think it will do what I want - at least for now.
post #6 of 31 Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hm. I'm willing to spend only $27 to get the basics and then upgrade later. Let me know how it turns out.
post #7 of 31 Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 AM

Liked: 12
When buying used, you do not know if the sensor is calibrated. If the sensor is out of calibration, you can be wasting time and effort.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry L View Post

When buying used, you do not know if the sensor is calibrated. If the sensor is out of calibration, you can be wasting time and effort.

For sensors that can be re-calibrated, how much does it normally cost?
post #9 of 31 Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Fork of HCFR = free

fairchild99,

I've being searching for the last couple days about calibration, as I purchased new projector.

I'm choosing what to buy/use for the calibration process, and I've some things in common with your suggestion.

- I plan to use the guide from Curt Palme;
- I'm leaning towards the i1 Display PRO (aka Display 3), as my meter;
- I've a copy of the Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics (not in physical Blu-ray, just the media files from the HD-DVD) test disc suggested on the guide; (Is it as good as what you suggested?)
- My biggest (and only, I think) setback though, is about the HCFR. Is the forked version trustable to use with the i1 Display PRO? I've heard it wasn't supported before. I've even started to think about buying ChromaPure or something...

Best regards.
post #10 of 31 Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

The latest HCFR fork (3.0.4.2) now should properly support the iD3. I've read some user's have calibrated with it and the ColorMunki with no problems. I have used it with my iD2 and it works fine with the latest HCFR fork. Can get the latest one which has been updated by Zoyd here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zoyd000.u/files/downloads/

Read the notes from here which should explain which meters are supported and how to get them working:

http://sourceforge.net/p/hcfr/wiki/Home/

Here is a link to one user who has had success using the latest HCFR fork + a ColorMunki Display (which is based on the iD3/Display Pro)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/11940#post_22933867

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #11 of 31 Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Ahh thank you for this thread:) i have been reading about meters for days and getting more confused. Just ordered a colormunki display.. hope it works well. this new projector is making me nuts. Havn't been able to find anyone to calibrate new macomb michigan frown.gif
post #12 of 31 Old 04-14-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mine is coming on Tuesday. We should keep in touch as we both learn to use it. Either through PM or on this thread I guess.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-14-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpml View Post

Ahh thank you for this thread:) i have been reading about meters for days and getting more confused. Just ordered a colormunki display.. hope it works well. this new projector is making me nuts. Havn't been able to find anyone to calibrate new macomb michigan frown.gif

Chad B is in the area from time to time. I'm up in Flushing, west of Flint and he did my plasma several years ago and it' still looks stunning.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-15-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got my Colormunki today and messed with it a little. I used the software that comes with it just to see what it does and it's pretty basic. I started up the HCFR fork and was instantly thrown into WTF-Land! I'll spend more time with it to get to know it, but initially it was quite overwhelming!
post #15 of 31 Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsantsa View Post

Well, I got my Colormunki today and messed with it a little. I used the software that comes with it just to see what it does and it's pretty basic. I started up the HCFR fork and was instantly thrown into WTF-Land! I'll spend more time with it to get to know it, but initially it was quite overwhelming!

I have the colormunki display and love it with HCFR...Make sure you downloaded version 3.0.4.2 from zoyds sig in the HCFR thread.

Get the avs709 or GCD or Mascior's free calibration disc here in the forum as they work great.

What I did to calibrate my plasma was, I first installed the colormunki software and copied the Colormunki DLL file (found in the Xrite/program file) over to HCFR program file to enable the meter.You can use the the argyll drivers that come with HCFR to enable the meter as well but i just chose to use the factory one.

Then once HCFR see's my meter I chose it in the Sensor list ,click next then in the spectral drop down box I pick the Plasma spectral (If your calibrating an LCD,LED chose that spectral).

Then you just want to check your preference in the advance tab and choose your gamma setting,HD709 color space etc,just like the calibration guide for dummies suggest.

Then just load up your favorite calibration disc and do what the guide says.Set contrast,brightness then your greyscale 80% and 30% patterns as close to 100% as possible.

Oh btw I would recommend using the software that came with it to calibrate your laptop,computer,gaming display.HCFR for your tv's.
post #16 of 31 Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. I have a problem. I used the Colormunki software on one of my PC's last night and all was fine. Just a bit a go, I turned it on and my resolution is all jacked up. In the screen resolution page, it's showing 640x480 (1080p monitor) but it's greyed out and I can't change it. I reinstalled the nvidia driver and still nothing.

Is this a common problem and is there a common fix here? I don't know what to do.

EDIT: So I thought I'd be able to just switch to another profile and it would be ok but it's not working as the menus are so big that I can't Apply some of the changes I'm trying to make.

EDIT 2: It doesn't do this on the laptop. There must be some configuration of my pc that doesn't like the Colormunki software. As soon as I delete the icc profile and uninstall the program, everything is fine!

So, can I use HCFR and the meter to calibrate my monitor? I assume that I can, but I would then be doing it with the controls rather than making a profile, correct?
post #17 of 31 Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

I've never bothered to calibrate monitor's since they are not what I use to watch movies on, and I could care less how my desktop and some games might look. I don't know if you can calibrate the monitor with HCFR but it's worth a shot. Perhaps if your monitor does have good controls you can.

post #18 of 31 Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I can just use the built in Nvidia controls. Does doing this put any extra stress on a vid card?
post #19 of 31 Old 04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

I don't believe it does, but don't quote me on that.

post #20 of 31 Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, day 4 (last night). Used HCFR to calibrate 2 of my tv's! Having lots of fun too!

I just can't get the colormunki software to work. I figured out that it's saving my profile (I think) as a mobile profile for some reason.

And yeah, the Nvidia controls weren't much better than the controls on the monitor itself. I'm going to email colormunki to figure this out.
post #21 of 31 Old 04-20-2013, 05:59 AM

"Then once HCFR see's my meter I chose it in the Sensor list ,click next then in the spectral drop down box I pick the Plasma spectral (If your calibrating an LCD,LED chose that spectral)."

I am a bit confused on this part.. i am using my munki with HCFR and i have been selecting no spectral.. i am using a projector and it lists like 3 different brands of projectors but not mine.. which is a mitsu hc6800 pos.. any ideas on that? Main reason i am asking.. my low/mid/high rgb controls are changing 10ire 30ire 50ire and nothing higher.. so it hink i have a setting wrong throwing the scale off..
post #22 of 31 Old 04-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpml View Post

"Then once HCFR see's my meter I chose it in the Sensor list ,click next then in the spectral drop down box I pick the Plasma spectral (If your calibrating an LCD,LED chose that spectral)."

I am a bit confused on this part.. i am using my munki with HCFR and i have been selecting no spectral.. i am using a projector and it lists like 3 different brands of projectors but not mine.. which is a mitsu hc6800 pos.. any ideas on that? Main reason i am asking.. my low/mid/high rgb controls are changing 10ire 30ire 50ire and nothing higher.. so it hink i have a setting wrong throwing the scale off..

Make sure you have the latest HCFR 3.0.4.2 found now in the first post or in forum member Zoyd's sig....The latest hcfr has the spectral samples all ready loaded.

So for the colormunki and projector ,start a new file >Chose Id3/colormunki on your meter list click next >Chose non contact and non refresh from the list.Then on the tab that says Spectral Samples chose the one that says "Projector Family".

The Projector family is a universal spectral to work with a wide variety of brands.
post #23 of 31 Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Make sure you have the latest HCFR 3.0.4.2 found now in the first post or in forum member Zoyd's sig....The latest hcfr has the spectral samples all ready loaded.

So for the colormunki and projector ,start a new file >Chose Id3/colormunki on your meter list click next >Chose non contact and non refresh from the list.Then on the tab that says Spectral Samples chose the one that says "Projector Family".

The Projector family is a universal spectral to work with a wide variety of brands.

Thank you much peter.. i have been reading forums non stop for days and just seem to get more confused:) Im hoping this fixes what i think is a issue with hcfr scaling wrong with the munki.. it shows my low/mid/high rgb controls as changing 10/30/50% which i would think should be more like 30/50/70
post #24 of 31 Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I have the colormunki display and love it with HCFR...Make sure you downloaded version 3.0.4.2 from zoyds sig in the HCFR thread.

Get the avs709 or GCD or Mascior's free calibration disc here in the forum as they work great.

What I did to calibrate my plasma was, I first installed the colormunki software and copied the Colormunki DLL file (found in the Xrite/program file) over to HCFR program file to enable the meter.You can use the the argyll drivers that come with HCFR to enable the meter as well but i just chose to use the factory one.

Then once HCFR see's my meter I chose it in the Sensor list ,click next then in the spectral drop down box I pick the Plasma spectral (If your calibrating an LCD,LED chose that spectral).

Then you just want to check your preference in the advance tab and choose your gamma setting,HD709 color space etc,just like the calibration guide for dummies suggest.

Then just load up your favorite calibration disc and do what the guide says.Set contrast,brightness then your greyscale 80% and 30% patterns as close to 100% as possible.

Oh btw I would recommend using the software that came with it to calibrate your laptop,computer,gaming display.HCFR for your tv's.

This thread is great and the post above I think will be a great help to me. I'm in the UK and have a Samsung PS51D8000 and have just purchased a Colourmunki Display to calibrate it. I have never attempted anything like this before so I am jumping in the deep end straight away but with the guides and help on this forum I will hopefully be ok.

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers, Steve

Pioneer KRP-500A | Sony STR-DH810 Receiver | Tannoy HTS101 Speakers
post #25 of 31 Old 05-02-2013, 04:53 AM

Hi All,

Had my first go at Calibrating last night with the Greyscale and got some great results, all Delta E's under 1 with the help of the 10pt White Balance Control and gamma is 2.2 - 2.3 across the range. The only query I have is the Colormunki display meter position and the ftL level. I had the sensor on a tripod about 1" from the screen after warming it up first but in HCFR it on has the option of contact or projector. Do I need to have the Colormunki flush on the screen or slightly away as I had last night? If it's not actually touching the screen do I need to select projector rather than contact?

Also my reading of 35 ftL seems really bright in a dark room (Cell 20 and Contrast 91) on old Sammy "Bright" Firmware! Would having the sensor 1" away and having it on contact make a difference here?

The picture looks tonnes better and I haven't even adjusted the colours yet so I am very happy, and learning all the time

Regards

Steve

post #26 of 31 Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Greetings

Are you aware of the 3 rules of setting contrast and light output?

The 35 is a loose guideline ... not something set in stone. Read this article.

One of the biggest mistakes newbies make is to look at everything as absolutes ...

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #27 of 31 Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Thanks Michael, that is a great read! I think I might bring it down to about 30ftL as it seems overly bright for my room, although there is no clipping so maybe I should see how it goes. It's alot brighter than I had it before smile.gif

I have read on numerous occasions that I should not reduce contrast to under 90 as it messes with the 10pt WB, is this true or is it safe to drop it in the 80's for eg. Would reducing the cell light be better?

post #28 of 31 Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Greetings

You could leave the contrast higher, but you have to compensate for that by taking the RGB values down in the WB area. This may still bugger up the 10 point ... but you gotta do it right ... even if it makes it a bit inconvenient for you as far as the patterns are concerned. Should take you about 10 minutes to chart out how the controls change. Then you simply account for the change.

I would just set contrast right in the first place to meet the three rules. I can figure out the controls later. smile.gif

There is not a calibration timer that is ticking ... you have all the time in the world to do this right.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #29 of 31 Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 AM

Just finished my 1st ever Calibration on my UK PS51D8000 with the Colormunki Display and the difference really is night and day, looks fantastic now biggrin.gif

Cheers, Steve

post #30 of 31 Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Can I ask is there anything that needs to be specifically set up or any options that need to be set like for example needing to use xyY.

I guess I'd just like to know from the initial plugging in of the device what parameters, options etc need to be selceted before doing the initial greyscale reading and then adjusting the greyscale.

The greyscale guide for dummies is fine for the bulk of the process but as its a few years old the initial steps with regards to the Spyder and eye one using an old version of hcfr are not relevant for me.

Thanks, hope I've made some sense lol
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page