Help a A/V n00b calibrate new tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
its an insignia led tv, i got a great deal on it and i just need the calibration setting for the eye popping picture , perhaps some one else with this model and can give me the settings?

model # insignia NS-42D240A13

my father owns an older insignia led tv that he bought a few years back, i looked up the calibration settings here for him and after i was done the picture was gorgeous, a huge improvement over the stock settings, hoping someone can help me out with this

thanks in advance-
Heller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 93
'Sharing display menu settings?'
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=7202.0
post #3 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

and that helps me how? its not the first time i;ve come to this forum to copy calibration settings, in fact last time i was here it was not looked down upon or frowned upon it was encouraged with threads dedicated to displaying calibration settings for other users to copy.

now its not allowed? all it is is copy someones calibration settings, its not illegal....
post #4 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 25
He is an AV professional that calibrates images for a living, so has a different perspective than you do. His rough point is that TVs have a lot of variability from set to set and one person's settings are not going to give the exact same results on another set.

In case no one has settings for you to use as a baseline, you can try the guidelines in this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/261309/steaming-rat-or-richs-method-for-achieving-a-more-realistic-image

or you can use a test disk from Avia, Digital Essential, Disney or Spears and Munsil. Most are available at BestBuy and I know Avia and Digital Essentials are available from Netflix (don't worry about not having the color filters if you rent the disks; get your blacks and whites set correctly and eyeball the colors using movies that you know really well).

If you can hook a laptop up to the TV, there are test images and instructions here

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
post #5 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heller91 View Post

and that helps me how? its not the first time i;ve come to this forum to copy calibration settings, in fact last time i was here it was not looked down upon or frowned upon it was encouraged with threads dedicated to displaying calibration settings for other users to copy.

now its not allowed? all it is is copy someones calibration settings, its not illegal....
It helps you by instructing you correctly on the nature of display calibration versus popular myth and unreliable solutions to display accuracy.

You must not have even read the information provided in the post. There is plenty of settings copying conducted and "allowed" elsewhere in the AVS forum, just not in the 'Display Calibration' section.

"Illegal?" Stop being silly. Such exaggeration is juvenile.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

ok then would any body here help me find the proper setting for my model tv then? or something relatively close, it may be different for everyone like stated above and i understand that, but when i did this to my fathers older insignia tv the colors looks amazing after i found the calibration settings on this forum, it was like going from dull to eye popping..

so all i ask is for anyone with this tv to help with their personal calibration settings, i would do it by eye but im horrible like that, and I'd probably make it worse...
post #7 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heller91 View Post

ok then would any body here help me find the proper setting for my model tv then? or something relatively close, it may be different for everyone like stated above and i understand that, but when i did this to my fathers older insignia tv the colors looks amazing after i found the calibration settings on this forum, it was like going from dull to eye popping..

so all i ask is for anyone with this tv to help with their personal calibration settings, i would do it by eye but im horrible like that, and I'd probably make it worse...
Pose your question here: 'LCD Flat Panel Displays' or use the forum search function to locate fellow owners of your make and model of TV. You can also find others who publish settings at TweakTV.com, CNET.com, and other web sources.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

Such exaggeration is juvenile.

Calling someone's behaviour juvenile just because you don't like what they say is, well, juvenile.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If you can't find an owners thread, your best bet is to use a simple DVD calibration disk. This should allow you to atleast correctly set your brightness and contrast.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

When you burn the disk, there are a series of videos you can watch that will walk you through it. Good luck.

If that is too much for you, you can buy this which will walk you through the process:

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #10 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter73 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

Such exaggeration is juvenile.

Calling someone's behaviour juvenile just because you don't like what they say is, well, juvenile.
Your analysis is faulty.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page