Profile or not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an i1Pro and an enhanced chroma C5 that I use for my calibrations. Yesterday my new Lumagen Mini showed up, and I did a couple of "get my feet wet" calibration runs. I ran a 3D LUT run with CalMAN 5 autocal using the i1Pro. Of course the i1 required reinitialization a few minutes into the run, but I ran the whole cal anyway without the reinitialization. When the run was done, I checked the data and everything looked really good - GS was great, all color checker dEs were below 3. I've read several complaints that profiling a colorimeter to the i1 often gives less than optimal results, especially with 3D calibrations. I'm going to do a 3D calibration run and I'm wondering if it makes sense to profile the C5 to the i1 or just ignore the "reinitialize" requests. Is there any real degradation in the i1Pro data if it is not initialized regularly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post

I have an i1Pro and an enhanced chroma C5 that I use for my calibrations. Yesterday my new Lumagen Mini showed up, and I did a couple of "get my feet wet" calibration runs. I ran a 3D LUT run with CalMAN 5 autocal using the i1Pro. Of course the i1 required reinitialization a few minutes into the run, but I ran the whole cal anyway without the reinitialization. When the run was done, I checked the data and everything looked really good - GS was great, all color checker dEs were below 3. I've read several complaints that profiling a colorimeter to the i1 often gives less than optimal results, especially with 3D calibrations. I'm going to do a 3D calibration run and I'm wondering if it makes sense to profile the C5 to the i1 or just ignore the "reinitialize" requests. Is there any real degradation in the i1Pro data if it is not initialized regularly?
In your case, I would just test the C5 after profiling. If you have the equipment, just run the tests yourself and check your results. If you get good results with just the i1Pro, use it. I have a C6 that I profile to an i1Pro2, and I get great 3D LUT results. If you question the i1Pro's results, just profile your C5 and compare....or the other way around.
As far as reinitializing, don't do it in the middle of grayscale or color calibrations, in between the two would be fine though.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There is evidence to suggest that once the i1pro has warmed to an operating temperature(heat from light, heat from display) and then a dark reading, the measurement performance settles. However the noise ratio increases for temperature increase (Hi end spectros are cooled for this reason).

However I have found I use the i1pro for the whole process, dispite the low end performance drop off, also I tend to take one or two dark readings then ignore dark reading timers whilst doing main tweaks,then I do dark readings for finishing tweaks. My jeti takes automatic dark readings per measure.

The only real advantage of a C5 over the i1pro is in sub 30% levels, but only if the C5 is profiled. My C5 is an enhanced and 1 year old calibration, yet it has already drifted so far that I have to profile it to be accurate. C5's I feel always need profiling to be used with confedence.

The question if doing 3DLUT with an i1pro is better/worse than a profiled colour meter could be debatible as you are ultimately limited by the accumilated errors of all the devices in use, which includes the source, the display the measurment equipment. Time wise a C5 is not much faster than the i1pro, with LLH off the i1pro is as fast if not faster.

By checking the final result and it returns <3 dE or better for the vast majority of readings then you probably won't do much better than that because you run into the limits of the device abilities.

If you re ran calibrations with both devices many times you will get a scatter of results, all similar but never quite the same, but if the averages fall <3 dE on the whole you won't see any difference.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Christchurch NZ
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page