Awesome lighting project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

my name is David, I'm 17 years old and my team and I have built an awesome addon for any TV or monitor which illuminates background of your screen in real-time. It's open-source, works with Windows/Mac/Linux(any HTPC too), easy to set up and works wirelessly. It's has been made for HTPC since it works only with content synced from a PC. This is how it looks like:

Currently, we are running a Kickstarter campaign for it. To make this thing a reality, we need help of you guys! Please, check our project on KS: http://kck.st/YhVl9v

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Hi, David,

Welcome to the forum. Your project looks interesting. Such a topic would perhaps be better placed in the 'Theater Room Items & Accessories' area of the forum, rather than this display calibration area. Fluctuating colored ambient lighting in a video display viewing environment will distort the viewer's perception of colors in the image on the screen. Human perceptual studies have verified this phenomenon long ago. Your idea would be fine to use at a party, or when color fidelity is not a priority when watching a video program. There is a "sticky" thread about this issue in the 'Links to this forums popular threads' section at the top of this area of the forum. It is titled, 'How Viewing Environment Conditions Can Corrupt Or Enhance Your Calibration.'

I also caution you about a possible patent infringement with Philips Electronics. They developed, manufactured, and aggressively marketed a similar concept they called 'Ambilight' a few years ago with their televisions. A lot of money was invested by them in a national television ad campaign for several years. They eventually pulled their televisions out of the US market, but continued marketing 'Ambilight' equipped models of HDTVs in other parts of the world, especially Europe.

Best regards,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey George,

thanks! I'll post it in that category.

We know about Philips and currently we are in talks with them. We should make a deal soon.

- David
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page