Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
e08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First time poster, long time reader...

Having dabbled in PC monitor calibration with the LaCie Blue Eye Pro pack, and being an very picky with incorrect colour, I really want to get into the TV side of calibration. I have the Sony Bravia XBR-55HX929 and after using some rather random settings from the web (yes I know all those settings are unit specific), it made it look a little nicer, but knowing it's not "accurate" is bugging me. I have a wide gamut monitor (Dell 3008WFP) so it's hard to know if my TV is "right" as I'm used to the 102% NTSC colour gamut of my monitor and not Rec.709. So for all I know my colours are way over saturated as that's what a wide gamut monitor does (not being set in sRGB mode as it's not 'calibratable' in that mode and the results are shocking). So after all that, here's is my question.

So I know the i1 Display 3 PRO uses more accurate tables in CromaPure, but will the meter work (or be discovered) in "OEM mode" in CalMAN? Will CalMAN recognize it and use it the same as the normal OEM unit or will it not pick it up at all? I ask as I'm thinking of getting the i1 Display PRO + CP bundle but want the freedom to try CalMAN at a later date without having to buy a new meter (and I also want the PRO tables to work with CP for better accuracy). So getting a non-PRO meter isn't on the cards unless I have to get it to have it work with CalMAN.

Hayden.

~ Hayden

Sorry for any typos or bad grammar, I am Dyslexic.

Sony XBR-HX929, Sony Playstation 3 (Slim 160GB), i1 Display Pro OEM, CalMAN Enthusiast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
- i1 display 3 PRO (Chromapure enhanced version of the OEM i1 display pro 3) used with calman is recognized like an OEM i1 display PRO 3

- C6 (Calman enhanced version of the OEM / Retail i1 display pro 3) used with Chromapure is recognized like an OEM i1 display PRO 3

- i1 display Pro 3 (OEM or Retail version) used with both Calman or Chromapure (only OEM is recognized) is logically recognized like an OEM i1 display PRO 3
post #3 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
e08

Thank you, just the answer I was after.

Another thing just crossed my mind: If I use the built-in pattern generator with CromaPure, will those post calibrated settings work with my PS3 (that is set to display Blu-rays 1:1 to my TV, I don't game on it)?

So I hook my laptop with CP to the TV via HDMI, calibrate the TV, then hook my PS3 into the same HDMI input and I'm good to go?

I did have a 5.1 set-up with an Onkyo amp but gave it to my ex-partner when she moved out. So this procedure I'm assuming will work with any HDMI input that is calibrated? And to calibrate free-to-air broadcast TV (no paid TV subscription) would you just copy the settings from a calibrated HDMI source?

Thanks, Hayden.

~ Hayden

Sony XBR-HX929, Sony Playstation 3 (Slim 160GB), i1 Display Pro OEM, CalMAN Enthusiast.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Actually the C6 does not work with ChromaPure at all. I have it and tried it.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
post #5 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
e08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

So the plot thickens... This is very useful information that I couldn't seem to dig up with Google. Thank you Chad.

A bit off topic, but it seems like getting a meter and a software package might not be enough for a "quick" calibration. How are the built in pattern generators for CP vs CM? Maybe I'll have to grab CM with their custom DPG-2000 if I want a decent automated pattern source. How is the built in CP one if it's being generated by the PC's video card?

Hayden.

~ Hayden

post #6 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by e08 View Post

So the plot thickens... This is very useful information that I couldn't seem to dig up with Google. Thank you Chad.

A bit off topic, but it seems like getting a meter and a software package might not be enough for a "quick" calibration. How are the built in pattern generators for CP vs CM? Maybe I'll have to grab CM with their custom DPG-2000 if I want a decent automated pattern source. How is the built in CP one if it's being generated by the PC's video card?

Hayden.

Just use a quality BRP and disk, you will most likely have issues with video card inaccuracy using the built in stuff and the DPG is not really worth the money in my book, I have it and it is SLOW and limited to the patterns they give you. If you are only doing your own equipment the AVS disk or one of the others authored by forum members will be sufficient.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Thanks Chad for the info, i'll edit my post wink.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
e08

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Just use a quality BRP and disk, you will most likely have issues with video card inaccuracy using the built in stuff and the DPG is not really worth the money in my book, I have it and it is SLOW and limited to the patterns they give you. If you are only doing your own equipment the AVS disk or one of the others authored by forum members will be sufficient.

I just had another look at the patterns on the AVS HD 709 disk and it's starting to look like the best option at the moment. Now to choose between ChromaPure with a Pro D3 or CalMAN with an OEM D3 (not paying for the C6). Really like the look of CalMAN and there are many professionals that use it, so might swing that way, but loose out on the reference tables that the Pro meter will give me with ChromaPure.... Decisions!

Hayden.

~ Hayden

post #9 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

I just had another look at the patterns on the AVS HD 709 disk and it's starting to look like the best option at the moment. Now to choose between ChromaPure with a Pro D3 or CalMAN with an OEM D3 (not paying for the C6). Really like the look of CalMAN and there are many professionals that use it, so might swing that way, but loose out on the reference tables that the Pro meter will give me with ChromaPure.... Decisions!

Hayden.

Go with that and then look for a used i1pro spectro, just make sure your purchase a license level of calman that includes the spectro.. they have changed some of the license stuff since I purchased V4 so it may not even be and issue. There is a chart on the spectracal site that lists what you get with each level.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
e08

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

There is a chart on the spectracal site that lists what you get with each level.

You mean this page? If I get any CalMAN, it will be the Enthusiast pack, I can't stand locked software, the more options the better.

I'm starting to learn towards CalMAN the more I look into it (was originally impressed with CromaPure). The CP + i1 Display 3 PRO package looks so nice though, but will mean I have to spend more in the future if I want to get CalMAN and a spectro later (i1 pro 2 probably). I thinking it might be worth getting the CalMAN Enthusiast + OEM i1 Display 3 for my starting point, I'm not made of cash (I wish!).

Any reason not to go down this route? Open to suggestions.

Hayden.

~ Hayden

post #11 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

You mean this page? If I get any CalMAN, it will be the Enthusiast pack, I can't stand locked software, the more options the better.

I'm starting to learn towards CalMAN the more I look into it (was originally impressed with CromaPure). The CP + i1 Display 3 PRO package looks so nice though, but will mean I have to spend more in the future if I want to get CalMAN and a spectro later (i1 pro 2 probably). I thinking it might be worth getting the CalMAN Enthusiast + OEM i1 Display 3 for my starting point, I'm not made of cash (I wish!).

Any reason not to go down this route? Open to suggestions.

Hayden.

CalMAN 5 Enthusiast also supports calibrating your PC's it includes 2 clients licenses. We are also finishing up our CalMAN Client for Mac as well.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

CalMAN 5 Enthusiast also supports calibrating your PC's it includes 2 clients licenses. We are also finishing up our CalMAN Client for Mac as well.

Enthusiast also allows access to advanced features and editors which to me is worth the additional cost alone. Even it not using these features they allow you to have access to workflows that other users make that may be prohibited with the lower license levels.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
e08

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

I had a question about PC calibration: does the software correctly calibrate wide gamut monitors (AdobeRBG), or sRGB only? I'm hoping wide gamut is supported, I have a Dell 3008WFP.

Also, does CalMAN for Mac include PC calibration? This will interest my brother.

Hayden.

~ Hayden

post #14 of 14 Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:

I had a question about PC calibration: does the software correctly calibrate wide gamut monitors (AdobeRBG), or sRGB only? I'm hoping wide gamut is supported, I have a Dell 3008WFP.

Also, does CalMAN for Mac include PC calibration? This will interest my brother.

Hayden.

Yes CalMAN 5 for PC/Mac supports AbobeRGB as well as sRGB. We have two different CalMAN 5 Clients one for Mac and the other for PC. The one for PC has been out for awhile and is due an update. The one for Mac is in testing and should be available for download soon. The CalMAN 5 core is still only PC until we get to CalMAN 6 which will also have a Mac core.
e08 likes this.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page