Help Needed With Triple Monitor Calibration. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.

I have recently updated my gaming rig to a triple monitor set-up, 3 30" Dell's running as one 7680x1600 display. Can anybody tell me how to correctly calibrate all three monitors to show consistent colour/brightness levels when used as one display?
I'm using an X-Rite i1 Display Pro for calibration and my system spec's are, 2 x Dell 3011 + 1 x Dell 3014 connected via DisplayPort cables to 2 x Radeon HD 6990's.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 AM

I assume that you have calibration and profiling software for your x rite meter. I would calibrate each of the monitors setting brightness, contrast and colors. Once they are calibrated I would then create an ICC profile for the monitors. If each monitor is connected to its own port on the graphics card then an ICC profile can bed loaded into each output.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Just make sure they are all putting out the same cd/m ^2 of brightness and then calibrate them to D65. Make sure they are all in the same mode (sRGB or AdobeRGB).

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #4 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avstage View Post

I assume that you have calibration and profiling software for your x rite meter. I would calibrate each of the monitors setting brightness, contrast and colors. Once they are calibrated I would then create an ICC profile for the monitors. If each monitor is connected to its own port on the graphics card then an ICC profile can bed loaded into each output.

Hi Avstage and Sotti.

Thanks for replying.
I have the x-rite calibration\profiling software that came with the i1 meter. I've been calibrating my monitors, laptops and TVs for a number of years so I'm comfortable using the software. I already have separate ICC profiles for each monitor saved on my HDD, but I am unsure how to associate the profiles with the corresponding port on the GFX card. Could you explain how I would do this?
post #5 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The X-rtie software should be responsible for doing that.

Since the majority of the calibration comes from a LUT that in windows is managed separately from the ICC, the software that creates the ICC and LUT should be responsible for loading it into the graphics card and associating it with the correct display.

You can only load LUTs programmatically, so some piece of software is required to manage them.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #6 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

The X-rtie software should be responsible for doing that.

Since the majority of the calibration comes from a LUT that in windows is managed separately from the ICC, the software that creates the ICC and LUT should be responsible for loading it into the graphics card and associating it with the correct display.

You can only load LUTs programmatically, so some piece of software is required to manage them.

not trying to hijack the thread, but can you explain what the LUT does vs. the ICC profile in terms of PC calibration? and how this all differs from calibrating a TV for use with non-PC sources (like BD players, gaming consoles, and cable/sat boxes)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM

From what I understand the Video Card uses a 1D LUT component from the ICC profile - called VCGT (Video Card Gamma Table).

As this is a 1D RGB LUT is can only control grey scale, not saturation.

Then any ICC compliant program uses the ICC profile PCS (Profile Connection Space) to match the source and target gamut/saturation.

So, the PC calibration is grey scale only...
post #8 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFilm View Post

From what I understand the Video Card uses a 1D LUT component from the ICC profile - called VCGT (Video Card Gamma Table).

As this is a 1D RGB LUT is can only control grey scale, not saturation.

Then any ICC compliant program uses the ICC profile PCS (Profile Connection Space) to match the source and target gamut/saturation.

So, the PC calibration is grey scale only...

Mac's use the VCGT tag from the ICC. PC's for the most part ignore the tag, so any reliable calibration software will manage the LUT as a discrete piece.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #9 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I think that's incorrect - Windows OS has used the VCGT since XP.

It has been the basis for PC based monitor calibration for some time, as it has been adopted by all graphics cards and graphic chip sets.

There are various programs that can directly monitor and adjust the VCGT, including SpaceMatch and the free 'Calibration Tester'.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #10 of 15 Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

I think that's incorrect - Windows OS has used the VCGT since XP.

It has been the basis for PC based monitor calibration for some time, as it has been adopted by all graphics cards and graphic chip sets.

There are various programs that can directly monitor and adjust the VCGT, including SpaceMatch and the free 'Calibration Tester'.

Go check your facts Steve.

You are wrong and you spread incorrect information.

Windows XP most certainly does not support VCGT tags. Please refrain from making factually incorrect comments.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #11 of 15 Old 04-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

LOL

Oh yes it does!!!

I run XP, Win 7 and Win 8. All run VCGT calibration via the graphics card or graphics chip sets.

As I always say - I ONLY ever speak from personal experience, so I would not have made such a statement if I didn't have first hand experience.

I stopped posting on this forum for some time because of the attitude shown to other posters, and I really think that was the correct decision.

I think I'll stop for good now.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #12 of 15 Old 04-27-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Where is the documentation.

I've done plenty of testing. Xp has no support for it. If it was available, you would have msdn documentation on its interface and support.
e08 likes this.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #13 of 15 Old 04-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/dd372446%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Quote:
Purpose
The increased use of color content in all forms of digital communication necessitates the implementation of a color management scheme for Microsoft Windows operating systems.

The color management scheme that is used by Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 is called Image Color Management (ICM) 2.0. The color management scheme that is used starting with Windows Vista is called Windows Color System (WCS) 1.0. The Windows Color System color management scheme is a superset of Image Color Management 2.0 APIs and functionality.
Where Applicable.

And:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=12714
Quote:
The Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet is a tool for Microsoft Windows XP that makes it easier for you to manage Windows color settings.

Hope that helps.

rolleyes.gif

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #14 of 15 Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope, huge fail, absolutely no mention of a vcgt tag anywhere.

There is plenty of documentation for loading LUTs directly, but the truth is that widows XP does not support the vcgt tag (which is not actually an official ICC tag, but a manufacturer created tag).

Not to mention that because it's programmatically accessible, other apps including windows tend to clear out the LUT and load their own. Which is why every PC calibration app has a tray app that manages the LUT.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #15 of 15 Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Edited as there really is no point!

We have it all working - that's all that matters...

biggrin.gif

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page