General color temerature and color intensity? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anone know if color temperature affects color intensity at all?

As most here have seen my posts on my led tv, I have no way of changing my CMS for Blue, Yellow or Cyan. No changes do anything. I was thinking last night if maybe a change from Warm color temp to Medium and then adjusting would make any difference with it???

I did a quick grayscale and primary and secondary reading late last night and my Medium has the grayscale starting at Red 96%, Green 95% and Blue 142%. Would take a lot of adjusting to bring the blue down and I may not even have enough there to do it, but was wonding if the color temp is only affecting the white balance or if it also would be giving me a better range to dial in the CMS???

Anyone know?

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

You really need to get your fundamentals in order here. You are calibrating and you don't understand what the controls actually do. (Luckily you are not operating on a person or tinkering with an airplane.)

TV is two parts ... a b/w part (grayscale) and a color part (color/tint). Canvas - Paint. If your canvas is not neutral, what happens when you put paint on it? Will it change the color of the paint? The color palette gets skewed as a result of the canvas.

Hence the need to fix the canvas first before we work on color.

Regards
Cactus Jack likes this.

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This was more just a general question to see if any TV out there has an affect on color intensity with the the color temp.

I have already calibrated my TV just fine.
I have a grayscale with a gamma of 2.32 using BT1886 right on the line. A delta error of 0.90
My Primary and secondary numbers are delta error of 2.02 and my saturation runs are a high of 1.72 delta error for Blue. The other colors are 1.42 - 0.69 on the saturation sweeps.

Everything is good. Just wanted to learn more about possible interactions on the TV.

Been pleased with my results and just got bored last night, so I thought I would try another ISF preset and mess around with some changes.

That's all.

So I see from your post Michael that the color temp should only affect WB and not the gamut. That is what I was wondering.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #4 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

Read it again, I did not say that. smile.gif

Do not press the button that says "Do Not Press."

Based on reading that ... you have just told me that I told you to press the button.

Regards

post #5 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In those terms then, I did what I could do with my set. Everything looks decent in real world watching. Guess there is not a need to try and use a medium color temp if I have the Warm setting calibrated.

If we are talking in values like that...

I have a nice sheet of white paper and have a good set of Crayola crayons. BUT... my blue crayon is from the dollar store and is purple-blue on the saturation patterns. biggrin.gif
Without a Crayola blue crayon, I guess there is nothing I can do about it..

Also not arguing your points Michael. I do understand them perfectly and you are 100% correct. Just was hoping someone had seen a TV somewhere that wasn't following the usual way of things and found maybe that another temp had brought out more of one colors intensity on the TV.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

And again ... you have shown that you still don't understand the fundamentals here.

2+2=4 ...

you have just asked if anyone has found that 2+2=10 and it looks like a better answer ...

If you pick from 3 yard sticks ... and they measure 36", 39", 45" ... you have literally asked if people who used the 39" yard stick got better results.

No ... you take that 39" yard stick ... you fix it. And you get the same result as the 36" inch one.

regards

post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
eghill1125,

In case you missed it from the other thread:
Quote:
A final thought: On my LK450, the 100% Saturated blue primary *can* be nudged pretty close to the Rec709 definition, however doing this shifts everything else along the blue axis too far toward magenta. Again, the solution is to use the 75% Saturated point. It's *very* tempting to try to make that 100% blue primary hit the exact x,y coordinate. This would be a mistake.

I should have opened my discussion with the above statement, but it took a while for me to put together what you were trying to describe wrt to your blues over in the other thread.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page