AVS Forum banner

Quick Q: Does pattern size need to match when comparing 2 pattern sources?

460 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Doug Blackburn 
#1 ·
I'm using an Iscan Duo as a signal generator and a WDLive TV media player displaying the AVSHD patterns in the "Calman Windows" folder. I'm using 32% (10.24% of screen area) for the Duo but the AVSHD patterns are a bit larger. My main concern is whether this difference in size affects the x,y readings?

Seeing:

- Even reference generators do not output exactly the same

- I don't really know the % RGB from the AVDHD patterns matches the % RGB from the Duo (which is R19 G19 B50 for blue 75% stim. 75 sat. when rounded up)

- I don't know the WDLive tv is outputting a reference signal when displaying the patterns

How can I compare the patterns? A quick comparison of the x,y coordinates show the measured values are pretty close although x for red and y for cyan are off (I know the i1 pro 2 I use does not deviate more than 0.001 most of the time and 0.002 at the most)

White Red Green Blue Cyan Magenta Yellow

0,0005 0,0026 0,0004 0,0016 0,0014 0,0013 0,0010

0,0002 0,0002 0,0016 0,0017 0,0042 0,0012 0,0002

edit: forgot some useful info. I'm measuring a Panasonic Plasma

See less See more
#3 ·
Just to make sure I got the message: also x,y will be affected by the ABL and not only Y? Although the x,y deviation numbers for most colors are pretty low (especially for white), they are a fair bit worse than the i1 pro 2 repeatability checks I did some time ago.There many more numbers had a variation in the 0,000x range whereas here they are more in the 0,001x range. If it is the ABL, I will bump the Duo pattern size up to match the AVSHD pattern size and see whether the numbers improve.

Do you happen to have an idea what effect the rounding of the RGB % wil have in terms of x,y 0,xxxx?

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen1000  /t/1468849/quick-q-does-pattern-size-need-to-match-when-comparing-2-pattern-sources#post_23220938

Do you happen to have an idea what effect the rounding of the RGB % wil have in terms of x,y 0,xxxx?

No, it's completely display dependent, and even then based on the current settings for the display.

The only way to find out is through measurement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.