Calibrating using a smartphone? (hear me out) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was poking around in my S III's diagnostics menu (dial *#0*# if you own a Galaxy) and noticed that its light sensor gives me not only readings in lux, but individual RGBW values from 0 to 65,536. Could this in any way be useful for calibrating a projector, and if so, how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There are aps that do this as well but a few photographers said they weren't accurate enough for their use in reviews

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 9 Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 PM
e08

Liked: 13
I think part of why calibration is so fun and addictive is know your colours are correct and by putting trust in your meters and software. Would knowing the setting from a smartphone app aren't very accurate bug you? I know it would for me.

Hayden.

~ Hayden

Sorry for any typos or bad grammar, I am Dyslexic.

Sony XBR-HX929, Sony Playstation 3 (Slim 160GB), i1 Display Pro OEM, CalMAN Enthusiast.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 PM

Liked: 12
Surly it's worth a go.how would you use it though
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 AM

I played with a bunch on my droid 3 hdmi out. 'Droidsail' 'displaytester pro' 'plasma saver' and 'voodoo test pattern' were a few but it was before I received my i1pro so I couldn't check accuracy...recently I've been playin with deltaE* and Colormath... there is another one called testpatterngene but it is $40!
But if you have an ihone 5 you can download an official ISF app as well as THX and another I think..?....this is due to displaymates glowing review of the retina diaplay which they found needs no calibration.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
The light sensor is a TAOS chip that has 4 channels WRGB. Yes it does give you relative RGB values but they are non-linear. So for this to work you would need to calibrate the sensor with a 3D matrix not just a 3x3 transform. The cost to do this is more than an affordable tristim.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Half of you don't even know what I'm talking about. I don't care about calibrating my phone, I meant using my phone as a colorimeter to calibrate my projector. Read more than just the title, guys.

For the rest of you: You're essentially saying I'm better off eyeballing my calibrations than attempting to get any sort of assistance from my phone? There's no way in hell I'm blowing the cost of my entire home theater on a single colorimeter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e08 View Post

I think part of why calibration is so fun and addictive is know your colours are correct and by putting trust in your meters and software. Would knowing the setting from a smartphone app aren't very accurate bug you? I know it would for me.
Well considering that I can't afford a colorimeter, I figured using something to help me calibrate is better than nothing, but I guess I figured wrong.

Thanks for input guys. Guess I'm going back to staring at SMPTE patterns...
post #8 of 9 Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

Half of you don't even know what I'm talking about. I don't care about calibrating my phone, I meant using my phone as a colorimeter to calibrate my projector. Read more than just the title, guys.

For the rest of you: You're essentially saying I'm better off eyeballing my calibrations than attempting to get any sort of assistance from my phone? There's no way in hell I'm blowing the cost of my entire home theater on a single colorimeter.
Well considering that I can't afford a colorimeter, I figured using something to help me calibrate is better than nothing, but I guess I figured wrong.

Thanks for input guys. Guess I'm going back to staring at SMPTE patterns...

Derek's post was pretty clear about it... you need to spend more than the cost of a colorimeter like the D3 (aka i1 display pro) to calibrate the sensor on your phone so that it could be used as a color analyzer and then there would be the even harder part of finding a way to use that color analyzer since it wouldn't work with any common calibration software like CalMAN, ChromaPure, or ColorHCFR.

If you want a reliable meter for not too much, see if you can get a used i1pro spectro (Rev D) online. They can go as low as $200-$250 if you're lucky (I think some have even managed to get one for $150). It's a good investment provided it's Rev D and passes the i1 diagnostics since it's very accurate across all display techs and will stay that way for much longer than any colorimeter in a similar price range.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 AM

All you can do is throw up some colors using avshd disc and see what it says. You can try apps like colormeter that use the camera to id colors and/or light intensity. If you have phone with an hdmi out (motorolla) you can use an app like droidsail to be a pattern generator or to fix burn in. The problem is I'm not sure what standard video is output to (rec709,sRGB etc) or if they meet specs of standard? Maybe somebody could here could test for us! Oh yeah this is mostly in reference to android smartphones as idk much about apple products but I read on displaymate site that retina display was the best display of any consumer electronics with almost perfect color accuracy out of box so the iphone5/ipad w/retina can be used as reference for color and greyscale comparitor (or sump like that).

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page