First Cal.. could use some advice.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello, a quick rundown.. I got a HC6800 2 weeks ago (big mistake and can't return it) anyway.. outa the box was horrible.. people with green hair and purple faces. Picked up a colormunki and have been working on making it better for about 10 hours over 2 days. This is the first time i have tried this and have been using the calibration for dummies guide. But have a couple of issues..

A: in the graphs below you can see its still a bit jagged, i have been doing this using the avshd 790 disc and morcios (sp?) throught my HTPC. The question is.. Can the video card actually send different level colors at different IRE levels? I have been running into things like red at 99% at 40ire then goto 30ire and it drops to 85. Just huge jumps/drops like that. I am planning to hook up my ps3 and try through that tomorrow night, but was just curious..

B: The HC6800 has a Auto-Iris that basically makes a dark scene very black then opens up as soon as a dot of white shows up in a scene and turns into a giant sunbeam 8billion lumen machine. (yes i am exaggerating, but it is a bit nuts how fast and bright it goes). As you can see in the lumi chat it never gets near where it should be after 10IRE.. im 90% sure thats because of the auto-iris and not my lack of skill/experience?

And one last question, i have searched but not found a good answer.. This PK has high/mid/low for RGB in gamma.. which seems to change 10/30/50 ire more than 40/80 as in the guide.. but what i am curious about is the RGB brightness/contrast under color temp. I have been using those to kinda move my baseline rgb up or down then narrowing in with the gamma adjustments (this might not be the right way.. but red was so far out i couldn't get it close another way that i saw) What i was wondering is if there is a rule of thumb for those, like if you raise red brightness 5 points, also bring up contrast a couple? or??

Thanks for reading this, and i realize these are very rudimentary things to most of you.. but i am just happy to be learning something new:) its been a bit of fun...

And this was before with default settings

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page