MadVR - ArgyllCMS - Page 114 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 180Likes

post #3391 of 3400 Old Today, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Try searching for all madHcNet*.dll files on the whole system. Delete any that are not for the version of madVR you're currently using.
Awesome, that actually worked, thanks! Either that or unregistering madVR a bunch more times. Let's hope it sticks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3400 Old Today, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys, I would like to try a tone curve of 2.3 instead of the BT 1886... I guess that I have to leave it "as mesured" in the device tab and what should I do in the 3dlut tab?? Absolute or relative? What about the black output offset? Many thanks!!
post #3393 of 3400 Old Today, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I've updated the DCG beta snapshot to 2.9.1.2.

Latest changes:
  • Increased maximum amount of patches for “Auto” mode to 11140 (this change was already in 2.9.1.1).
  • Fixed: Clicking the “Pause” button on the progress dialog in the first few seconds before instrument initialization was complete would not pause measurements, and disabled the button until clicking “Cancel”.
  • Files generated during incomplete/failed runs are moved to a different location than the storage directory. See “User data and configuration file locations”, “Incomplete/failed runs”.
  • Log madVR exceptions during madTPG launch/setup phase to the session logfile, too.

DCG (dispcalGUI) - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization
Current stable version 2.6
Current development snapshot 2.9.1.2 beta (2015-04-26) - via 0install or standalone

Last edited by fhoech; Today at 12:31 PM. Reason: Fix links
post #3394 of 3400 Old Today, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokbob View Post
I guess that I have to leave it "as mesured" in the device tab
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokbob View Post
and what should I do in the 3dlut tab?? Absolute or relative? What about the black output offset? Many thanks!!
Does the help text on the tab not help?

DCG (dispcalGUI) - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization
Current development snapshot 2.9.1.2 beta (2015-04-26) - via 0install or standalone
post #3395 of 3400 Old Today, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Try searching for all madHcNet*.dll files on the whole system. Delete any that are not for the version of madVR you're currently using.
FWIW, not sure if it helps, but you could check the file version of the loaded madHcNet*.dll file, and maybe complain if it's too old?

Code:
void GetMadHcNetVersionNumber(WORD *v1, WORD *v2, WORD *v3, WORD *v4)
{
  WCHAR myFileName[MAX_PATH];
  GetModuleFileNameW(GetModuleHandleW(L"madHcNet32.dll"), myFileName, MAX_PATH);

DWORD hnd;
  DWORD len = GetFileVersionInfoSizeW(myFileName, &hnd);
  if (len)
  {
    LPVOID buf = LocalAlloc(LPTR, len);
    VS_FIXEDFILEINFO *pfi = NULL;
    if ( (GetFileVersionInfoW(myFileName, hnd, len, buf)) &&
         (VerQueryValueW(buf, L"\\", (LPVOID*) &pfi, (PUINT) &len)) )
    {
      *v1 = HIWORD(pfi->dwFileVersionMS);
      *v2 = LOWORD(pfi->dwFileVersionMS);
      *v3 = HIWORD(pfi->dwFileVersionLS);
      *v4 = LOWORD(pfi->dwFileVersionLS);
    }
    LocalFree(buf);
  }
}
You can also use the madVR_GetVersion() API to check the version number of madVR/madTPG (not sure if you already do that).
post #3396 of 3400 Old Today, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
FWIW, not sure if it helps, but you could check the file version of the loaded madHcNet*.dll file, and maybe complain if it's too old?

You can also use the madVR_GetVersion() API to check the version number of madVR/madTPG (not sure if you already do that).
Both DCG as well as Argyll CMS use the registry to figure out the path to the madHcNet*.dll, and both check for all the methods they're going to use. If one of the methods wasn't available, the process would abort early and gracefully with an error message, so I'm still not sure how the failure originally encountered by monvo actually happened.

Edit: I currently use madVR_GetVersion() (only) to log the version number of madVR as well as madHcNet32.dll path. @monvo , could you check the logs of the failed runs and see if madVR version and DLL location make sense?

Last edited by fhoech; Today at 03:37 PM.
post #3397 of 3400 Old Today, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Both DCG as well as Argyll CMS use the registry to figure out the path to the madHcNet*.dll, and both check for all the methods they're going to use. If one of the methods isn't available, the process should abort early and gracefully with an error message, so I'm still not sure how the failure originally encountered by monvo actually happened.

Edit: I currently use madVR_GetVersion() (only) to log the version number of madHcNet32.dll as well as its path. @monvo , could you check the logs of the failed runs and see if madVR version and DLL location make sense?
I think two issues contributed to the problem:

Firstly, the dll used was from an older version (according to dispcalGUI) which didn't match the version of madTPG (0.87.19 vs 0.87.21). However, deleting this version alone didn't help. The dll also belonged to the version I was using yesterday before updating madVR and it failed even then.

Secondly I believe the "Restore Default Settings" batch file from madVR didn't work as expected (although I can't see why - when I use it now it deletes everything but the folder; maybe I messed up something). I've come to that conclusion because after I manually deleted the registry tree belonging to madvr everything worked. I had however used "Restore Default Settings" multiple times before.

This leads me to believe that something in the registry tree was messing things up. I had exported the tree before deleting it and restored it after everything worked, which led to the process failing again. The export file is attached (file extention changed from .reg to .txt)
Attached Files
File Type: zip madvr settings backup.zip (27.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by monvo; Today at 03:29 PM.
post #3398 of 3400 Old Today, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmm. I couldn't get this code working - GetFileVersionInfoSizeW() returns 0. I'm not sure the approach is correct either, since
the code for loading the library looks through the registry to locate the MadVR library path.
Something that retrieves the DLL version using the HMODULE would be a much better fit (although I'm not sure how how you do that - there don't seen any obvious Win APIs).
Quote:
I couldn't get that to work either. Calling it returned 0 and no version information win MadVR v0.87.16
post #3399 of 3400 Old Today, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
I couldn't get that to work either. Calling it returned 0 and no version information win MadVR v0.87.16
That would indicate it (should be) doing something I think, otherwise the return value would be different (e.g. if not connected to madTPG).

post #3400 of 3400 Old Today, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
That would indicate it (should be) doing something I think, otherwise the return value would be different (e.g. if not connected to madTPG).
Either way, the the version isn't returned, even though MadTPG is running fine.

The .dll doesn't seem to have a DllGetVersion() entry either, which seems to be the standard way of getting the DLL version using the library handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration