MadVR - ArgyllCMS - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
you can use madVR to disable the gamma ramp and use the 3d lut for full calibration. after madVR is closed the gamma ramp calibration is used again.
madVR will handle this automatically.

Quote:
is there really a way to force an icc profile for all games?
No, games don't use them. The only thing that affects games is the videoLUT (1D calibration affecting whitepoint/grayscale and single channels). There are ways to force the videoLUT, and some games may not reset them anyway.

DCG (dispcalGUI) - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization
Current stable version 3.0.3 (released 2015-07-06) | DCG on Facebook

Previous development snapshot (outdated!): 3.0.2.1
(released 2015-06-30) | Changelog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've been using dispcalGUI and ArgyllCMS for a while now to create 1DLUT's and 3DLUT's, but just now tested my 1DLUT properly and realized that 1DLUT's still raise my lowest black level point, even though the first set of entries for the .cal file are these:
BEGIN_DATA
0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000

Technically, doesn't that mean that the 1DLUT (.cal file) is using the lowest black level possible? When my TV is not using any LUT's at all, my brightness must be set to 46 for it to pass black level test (like this one - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php ). Anything below 46 and the top-left square disappears entirely. However, once I apply 1DLUT with "0, 0, 0, 0" data for the lowest black level, I can reduce brightness from 46 to 44 and still see the top-left square. I checked and re-checked and I am at a loss as to how that is even possible...
Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

I see no indication of raised black level. Near black values are not black. Black is only the 0,0,0 (or 16,1,6,16 in video levels) value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masharak View Post
When my TV is not using any LUT's at all, my brightness must be set to 46 for it to pass black level test (like this one - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php ). Anything below 46 and the top-left square disappears entirely. However, once I apply 1DLUT with "0, 0, 0, 0" data for the lowest black level, I can reduce brightness from 46 to 44 and still see the top-left square.
Not sure why you are puzzled by this. It just means your TV's native tone response is different from the target used for the 3D LUT, which is pretty normal. If your TV's black level is low enough, and the native response follows a pure power curve closely, then it may visually crush the first one or two levels above black (but they may still measure distinctly from black, so not necessarily clipping). The 3D LUT may raise an incoming signal of e.g. 1,1,1 to 2,2,2 or some other higher value, to meet the chosen target tone response. If you then lower the black level, you may actually end up clipping some near-black values.
Also note that your browser's color management settings may influence how the test page you linked is displayed. You'll only get visually correct results if an appropriate display profile is assigned, and your browser is set to color manage untagged content (assuming sRGB as source color space). To set the black level correctly, you actually want to disable any form of color management, or use a test disc with any 3D LUT or other processing disabled.

DCG (dispcalGUI) - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization

Last edited by fhoech; 07-15-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a guide online that would explain why video playback needs a 3D LUT for accurate calibration but gaming only needs a 1D LUT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Quote:
you can use madVR to disable the gamma ramp and use the 3d lut for full calibration. after madVR is closed the gamma ramp calibration is used again.
madVR will handle this automatically.

Quote:
is there really a way to force an icc profile for all games?
No, games don't use them. The only thing that affects games is the videoLUT (1D calibration affecting whitepoint/grayscale and single channels). There are ways to force the videoLUT, and some games may not reset them anyway.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithuk View Post
Is there a guide online that would explain why video playback needs a 3D LUT for accurate calibration but gaming only needs a 1D LUT?
It's not about need, it's about support. Games usually don't support any form of color management, so in essence you have three options (which are not mutually exclusive):

• Adjust the display (if possible) to match e.g. Rec. 709 / Rec. 1886 (i.e. use something like HCFR)
  • Use 1D LUT calibration to correct the gray balance and target a specific tone response (e.g. Rec. 1886)
  • Use an external 3D LUT box (e.g. eeColor)

Old 07-21-2015, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Or hook into the game or the compositor (in windowed mode) and apply the 3DLUT on top of the game's graphics (though it will be an 8-bit -> 8-bit correction). I don't think a ready-made solution like that currently exists though (the extent of my ability to write hooks has been to keep a game from resetting the 1DLUT, but I think it'd be great if someone with more experience made a solution to apply 3DLUTs to everything). It'd be great if SweetFX could do it for instance.

Edit: Actually, I did find MasterEffect (works on top of ReShade) which claims to support 3DLUTs. I haven't tried it though, so I don't know what formats it supports.

Edit2: It seems to use a 256x16 pixel png file for the 3DLUT, which I assume corresponds with a 16x16x16 3DLUT. Looking at the code (line 2909 and on of ReShade.fx from MasterEffect 1.1.287) it might not be hard to change the size though. The calculation would be more straightforward if it were stored in a 3D texture, but I don't know if ReShade supports that.

Edit3: The ReShade forums seem to indicate that ReShade does not support 3D textures, hence the workaround. In theory you could probably translate a 4096x4096 2D texture (something GPUs should be able to fit) to 256x256x256 coordinates though.

Last edited by VerGreeneyes; 07-21-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerGreeneyes View Post
Edit: Actually, I did find MasterEffect (works on top of ReShade) which claims to support 3DLUTs. I haven't tried it though, so I don't know what formats it supports.

Edit2: It seems to use a 256x16 pixel png file for the 3DLUT, which I assume corresponds with a 16x16x16 3DLUT. Looking at the code (line 2909 and on of ReShade.fx from MasterEffect 1.1.287) it might not be hard to change the size though. The calculation would be more straightforward if it were stored in a 3D texture, but I don't know if ReShade supports that.
Interesting. The 3D LUT functionality in MasterEffect seems to be a fairly recent addition. 16x16x16 is somewhat limited compared to madVR, but it's a starting point. I'm inclined to put the generation of compatible PNGs on the feature list for the next DCG devel snapshot, but it would be great if people could test if the current 3D LUT implementation in MasterEffect is actually working and usable first.

Old Today, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 168
got it working and it's pretty easy too. after i learned that # is not to commentated a line.

here a screen with a custom ms paint splitscreen 3dlut: http://abload.de/img/working3dlutpys78.png

how about a new thread. i mean this has nothing to do with madVR.