MadVR - ArgyllCMS - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 438Likes

Old 09-06-2015, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerL View Post
Somebody must be reading these forums. In the last hour, a new version of ArgyllCMS v1.8.2 was just released which fixes the hanging problem. Just tried it out now and everything works fine now. Try the latest version out.
I'd been using 64bit for madVR and MPC-HC previously. Downloaded 64bit DispcalGUI and ArgyllCMS. Is this ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Can DisplayCal GUI use a chromecast as automated test pattern signal generator?

I read something about HCFR now using the Chromecast as a signal generator and if I can do the same with DisplayCAL then I will run out and pick one up.

-Brian
Old 09-07-2015, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question:

Should I use this method to calibrate my projector? Is there any downside to this when you don't touch any of the setting in your projector?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidabi View Post
Question:

Should I use this method to calibrate my projector?
if you want a high quality calibration yes.
Quote:
Is there any downside to this when you don't touch any of the setting in your projector?
depends on the projector. you should disable dynamic contrast, sharpening, over scanning, vivid mode and things like motion interpolation. some of these effect calibration results some not.

but in general i guess yes it is.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
if you want a high quality calibration yes.

depends on the projector. you should disable dynamic contrast, sharpening, over scanning, vivid mode and things like motion interpolation. some of these effect calibration results some not.

but in general i guess yes it is.
My projector is Sony VPL-HW50ES and signal goes from HTPC(i3-4130, HD 4400 iGPU) - > receiver(Yamaha Aventage RX-1020 "pure direct" so no signal alteration) -> projector (vpl-hw50es). I already did calibrate it according to curt palme's calibration for dummies tutorial. So I used i1eye one pro colorimeter, MPC-HC to play DVE 0-100% amplitude .mts video files for gray scale measurements and adjusted the setting from projector so it would be system wide and not just for movies. How ever I read that this is out dated way and the DVE and AVCHD709 discs are TV-level 16-235 and not PC-level 0-255, so the is definitely some room for improvement.

I'm asking this just because I want the best possible results for my movie viewing, but not sure does software adjustments have some limitations and there fore the adjustments should always be done from the projector?

Last edited by anidabi; 09-07-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I'd been using 64bit for madVR and MPC-HC previously. Downloaded 64bit DispcalGUI and ArgyllCMS. Is this ok?
There is no 64-bit version of dispcalGUI (it's not really needed, all memory intensive processing is done by Argyll CMS), and the 32-bit version will work just fine on a 64-bit system. Definitely use the 64-bit version of Argyll CMS if you can though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Can DisplayCal GUI use a chromecast as automated test pattern signal generator?
Yes, this feature was added in Argyll CMS 1.7 / DCG 3.0.

Quote:
[...] not sure does software adjustments have some limitations and there fore the adjustments should always be done from the projector?
Normally you are more limited with the projector controls, although it may make sense to adjust certain things (whitepoint) using them, before creating a 3D LUT.

DisplayCAL - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization
Current stable version 3.1.5 released 2016-08-03
Previous development snapshot (OUTDATED): 3.1.3.2 Beta (Windows/0install) released 2016-04-23 | Standalone | Changelog
DisplayCAL on Facebook
Old 09-07-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AVCHD709 discs are TV-level 16-235 and not PC-level 0-255
you can ignore this. this is not that simply but nearly everything is limited range and the renderer is taking care of this. your GPU is always thinking the input from the video player is full range and is changing this full range signal depending on the GPU settings.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I did not want to start a whole new thread, so I decided to ask here. Here's the before 3DLUT calibration (left) and after 3DLUT calibration (right) comparison. I used 4000 or so patches It is obvious that not all of sRGB/Rec.709 color gamut is covered - dispcalGUI reported 93% coverage.

Would you consider the result on the right accurate or not? 100% Green saturation sweep has dE of 1.2 and 100% Red saturation sweep has dE of 2.0. The rest of ALL readings are below dE of 1.0. I just wonder how the lack of those reds and green affects the image... It affects highlights, doesn't it?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

your 3d LUT looks fine your screen simply can't do 100 % BT 709 the colors are simply clipped. you shouldn't notice this in real world content.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACappo View Post
I have now managed to create a profile and it seems to work well. However i think I might have an issue.

I'm using a chromecast as my pattern generator and I'm sure that it sometimes take 2 or more readings of the same screen. Is there some check build in to ensure the pattern has changed? I got some issues with my wifi/internet speed, so was thinking about setting up a dedicated wifi without internet, to see if that might help
I'm interested in using chromecast and would like to find out how that all worked out for you.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I'm interested in using chromecast and would like to find out how that all worked out for you.
I was intestested also. I bought a CC yesterday.

I used it today with HCFR and results matched my results from yesterday using MadVR TPG.

Then, I loaded DisplayCal to make a 3DLUT and DisplayCAL reminded me that I wasn't going to have accuracy the way I usually do with MadVR TPG and that seemed like it should be the last straw.

So I returned it.

I already have the capability of using MadVR so no need to go out of my way to reduce the accuracy of my calibrations. Just doesn't make any sense at all.

Also reading about all the things you can do with a Chromecast made me realize I would never do anything with mine at all except calibrations and it's not even the best choice for that either.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
I was intestested also. I bought a CC yesterday.

I used it today with HCFR and results matched my results from yesterday using MadVR TPG.

Then, I loaded DisplayCal to make a 3DLUT and DisplayCAL reminded me that I wasn't going to have accuracy the way I usually do with MadVR TPG and that seemed like it should be the last straw.

So I returned it.

I already have the capability of using MadVR so no need to go out of my way to reduce the accuracy of my calibrations. Just doesn't make any sense at all.

Also reading about all the things you can do with a Chromecast made me realize I would never do anything with mine at all except calibrations and it's not even the best choice for that either.
Hi, ChromeCast output is not a bit-perfect for a pattern generator, Zoyd and Graeme wrote a software correction code to minimize these errors. Zoyd tested and report the errors here.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Old 09-11-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that link.

The ChromeCast testing shows it actually did great.

My big problem with it is I can already use MadVR TPG with no trouble so I'm not going to add problems to my methods for no reason.

Those test results are great though. Much better than I thought it would be.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

edited --

I had a problem with my i1pro spectro driver installation in windows 10 but found the solution on Argyll website.

(Had to dis-able driver signatures to install the driver.)

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-11-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Could someone update the first thread? ...

Or move this to a fresh thread with a walk through that's more up to date.

There seems to be a lot of options when making the 3D LUTs and I think I understand some of them.

A post like the first one of this thread but using the current version of the software would be great.

-Brian
jhughy2010 likes this.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
[...]There seems to be a lot of options when making the 3D LUTs and I think I understand some of them.

A post like the first one of this thread but using the current version of the software would be great.
Does the (new) wiki page help?

[ FYI, dispcalGUI wiki and forums are going to move to my own host later this year to gain more independence from sourceforge ]
Brian Hampton and jhughy2010 like this.

DisplayCAL - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization
Current stable version 3.1.5 released 2016-08-03
Previous development snapshot (OUTDATED): 3.1.3.2 Beta (Windows/0install) released 2016-04-23 | Standalone | Changelog
DisplayCAL on Facebook
Old 09-11-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Does the (new) wiki page help?

[ FYI, dispcalGUI wiki and forums are going to move to my own host later this year to gain more independence from sourceforge ]
Yes thank you I had not seen that.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I tried Windows 10 pro (upgraded from Win. 7 pro) with ArgyllCMS 1.8.0, DispcalGUI 1.4.2 and MadVR/TPG v0.89.2.

Couldn't get the calibration and profiling running.

Reinstalled everything except for video card drivers (mine are up to date)

Getting errors when installing Zero install, errors from dispcalGUI about ArgyllCMS. Couldn't run white point calibration because pattern windows wouldn't come up on my display screen, ect.

NVIDIA control could only pick up on my display not my PC monitor.
Display picked up on both monitor and display, upgraded Intel 4600 drivers for Windows 10, reset 4600 on-board video card.

Went back to Windows 7 Pro and all worked as usual.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
Setup dispcalGUI, 2nd link settings for 65EF9500
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post35174522
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post39870898
Old 09-12-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I tried Windows 10 pro (upgraded from Win. 7 pro) with ArgyllCMS 1.8.0, DispcalGUI 1.4.2 and MadVR/TPG v0.89.2.
eeColor (TruVue Application) software is uploading 3D LUT tables without problems @ Windows 10.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Old 09-12-2015, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I also have no problems with Windows 10 and DisplayCAL, MadVR.

I have been using Windows 10 since early technical previews in Feb and mostly it's been trouble-free.

I did have a small issue with the i1pro spectro driver yesterday but the Argyll web documents had proper instructions for solving that issue.

If you do have troubles with Windows 10, I may be able to help troubleshoot.

-Brian
Old 09-12-2015, 05:57 PM

New ArgyllCMS 1.8.2 is just more robust and optimized? It isn't actually going to provide more accurate result, is it?
Old 09-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masharak View Post
New ArgyllCMS 1.8.2 is just more robust and optimized? It isn't actually going to provide more accurate result, is it?
As the version number hints, it's minor bug fixes for V1.8.0.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
As the version number hints, it's minor bug fixes for V1.8.0.
Thank you. I found the release notes. Looks like its mostly fixes going from 1.7.0 to 1.8.2. No word on general accuracy improvement, BUT ArgyllCMS creates extremely accurate LUT's and 3DLUT's already, so there is no point to improve accuracy IMHO.

I remember that at some point (long ago) x86 version was advised as it was more stable than x64. Is that still the case or can I use x64 without fear or crashes? Is there actually a performance difference between the two?

Huge thank you for ArgyllCMS - you've greatly contributed to the field of display calibration. I cannot believe ArgyllCMS is free.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Last edited by Masharak; 09-13-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I remember that at some point (long ago) x86 version was advised as it was more stable than x64.
They should operate almost identically.
Quote:
Is there actually a performance difference between the two?
For really large problems, the 64 bit version is able to use more memory thereby speeding things up. 64 bit color conversion (using cctiff) is about twice as fast.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 AM

Is it possible that ArgyllCMS does not work properly work with / calibrate backlight-strobing displays? I have a 120Hz display that uses backlight-strobing ("Turbo 240"). It would make sense to turn that feature off before calibration and turn it back on afterwards, but Turbo 240 mode uses different gamma & white balance, so the only way to calibrate it accurately is by using Turbo 240 mode during ArgyllCMS calibration & profiling. It seems to calibrate/work just fine, but I just wondered if there could be inaccuracies due to light-strobing. I used both - calibration AND profiling, rather than profiling itself, to create 3DLUT's for madVR and ReShade.

It is now so awesome with ArgyllCMS - all you need is to spend $175 on ColorMunki Display and your display's color accuracy stops being a major factor for both film playback and even video games (aside from display type issues, like gamma shift, color gamut coverage, etc) ! Bad accuracy is no longer a major CON for displays that way!

Last edited by Masharak; 09-15-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is it possible that ArgyllCMS does not work properly work with / calibrate backlight-strobing displays?
It depends on the instrument. Some instruments cope well with refresh/strobing displays, and some don't. An Eye-One Display Pro will be a much better choice than a ColorMunki Display for such a display, as the former can measure and synchronize to the strobe when used in "refresh" mode.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:13 PM

I thought i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Display used identical hardware, but i1Display Pro was faster and was compatible with more software applications. Live and learn! Does i1Display Pro automatically synchronize to the strobe in Refresh mode? I need to test to see if measurements are the same in that mode.

What does it mean when ArgyllCMS detects display as 10-bit, even though the maximum/best input for that display is 8bit? Driver dithering?

Last edited by Masharak; 09-15-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Display used identical hardware, but i1Display Pro was faster and was compatible with more software applications.
Exactly. The i1Display Pro is fast enough to be able to measure the refresh rate. The measurement time limit of the ColorMunki Display means that it would take far too long to measure the refresh rate (would you wait 30 Minutes while it does so ?).
Quote:
Does i1Display Pro automatically synchronize to the strobe in Refresh mode?
There's nothing automatic about it - the ArgyllCMS driver does this when it is told to use it for Refresh displays.
Quote:
What does it mean when ArgyllCMS detects display as 10-bit, even though the maximum/best input for that display is 8bit? Driver dithering?
Yes, that would be an explanation, i.e. MadTPG.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick question about display mode

I don't get the option for "projector" but I do use a SXRD projector.

Would that be "refresh" or LCD?... And does it matter if I use my own correction file made with i1pro spectro?

Edit - this question must have been to obvious or too difficult as it went no where... Since my pj isn't a CRT or plasma I'll just choose LCD next time.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-18-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello avsforum

I am having a problem creating a 3dlut for my JVC HD750. Im running the latest version of Argyllcms and dispcalgui (1.8.2 & 3.0.4.2) I have also tried earlier versions with no success.

When attempting calibration in my batcave environment dispcalgui/Argyllcms always error out on patch 11(total black patch) with the following error:

Code:
[read_sample returned 'Communication protocol breakdown' (Message from instrument
15:52:55,744 had bad status code)
15:52:55,747 
15:52:55,749 Sample read failed with unhandled error.
15:52:55,752 The instrument can be removed from the screen.
15:52:55,761 Diffuser thread returning
15:52:55,790 madvrwin_del called
15:52:55,843 dispread: Error - dispd->read returned error code 2
15:52:55,845 
15:52:55,948 dispcalGUI: Reached EOF (OK)
15:52:55,975 ...aborted.
I am using a i1 Display pro. While tying to troubleshoot the problem i updated the driver for my 290x which changed the pixel type resulting in limited output, instead of my usual full output. Calibration completed it seems due to the brighter blacks, the same happens if I increase ambient light.

Any ideas whats going on here? Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dispcalGUI2.txt (115.0 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement