MadVR - ArgyllCMS - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 439Likes
post #4351 of 4362 Old 07-29-2016, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked: 1940
Is it possible to create a meter correction matrix so I can profile my TV as if the 3D glasses are between my photometer and the display without actually having them there? I was able to do this for HCFR, but it's not clear if I can do the same thing with DisplayCAL. If so, how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4362 Old 07-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Is it possible to create a meter correction matrix so I can profile my TV as if the 3D glasses are between my photometer and the display without actually having them there?
Yes, should be possible. Put the spectrometer behind the glasses, and the colorimeter directly on the display.
Quote:
I was able to do this for HCFR, but it's not clear if I can do the same thing with DisplayCAL. If so, how?
I'd imagine that "Tools->Create colorimeter correction..." would be an obvious place to start...
post #4353 of 4362 Old 07-30-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
Yes, should be possible. Put the spectrometer behind the glasses, and the colorimeter directly on the display.

I'd imagine that "Tools->Create colorimeter correction..." would be an obvious place to start...
Well, I don't have a spectro, just a colorimeter. However, I'll check it out before asking asking any more questions.
post #4354 of 4362 Old 07-30-2016, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
is it possible to do a 2.4 gamma autocalibration with displaycal/argyIIcms with a gamma of 2.3 at 5% and the rest at 2.4?
post #4355 of 4362 Old 08-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I'm happy to announce that I've released DisplayCAL 3.1.5.

This release brings HDR 3D LUT (BT.2020 & ST.2084) improvements, namely roll-off according to BT.2390 (hermite spline at the top end, black level lift similar to BT.1886 but with tapering factor at the dark end) and a simple form of tone mapping.

Example screen capture of Sony "Camp" HDR demo @ 400 cd/m2 peak luminance (TV gamut roughly Rec. 709):

How to set up DisplayCAL to create a HDR to SDR 3D LUT:

Set HDR peak luminance according to the capability of your display. I wouldn't recommend below 265 cd/m2.
Black output offset controls if there's roll-off at the dark end (0% black output offset = BT.2390), which is similar to BT.1886, or if the whole curve is offset and scaled by the black level (100% output offset).

I've also tweaked the perceptual intent gamut mapping to give better preservation of saturated colors than normally, but I would still recommend colorimetric as it should preserve saturations even better (the above screen capture is from a colorimetric 3D LUT). Note that despite colorimetric normally clipping, there's now always a form of tone mapping when SMPTE 2084 roll-off is selected.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DisplayCAL-315-HDR-Setup.png
Views:	338
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1580841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony_HDR_Camp_00-01-28_DisplayCAL_HDR_400_3DLUT.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	606.5 KB
ID:	1580849  
N3W813, VBB, 10k and 1 others like this.

DisplayCAL - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization
Current stable version 3.1.6 released 2016-08-25
Previous development snapshot (OUTDATED): 3.1.3.2 Beta (Windows/0install) released 2016-04-23 | Standalone | Changelog
DisplayCAL on Facebook

Last edited by fhoech; 08-02-2016 at 06:34 PM.
post #4356 of 4362 Old 08-25-2016, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

DisplayCAL 3.1.6 has been releasaed.

This release brings further improvements in HDR 3D LUT tonemapping.

• Overall saturation preservation should be better, as well as slightly too light near-black tones have been fixed.
  • Also supported is madVR 0.90.24, where HDR 3D LUTs must be set in specific slots and require an adjusted 3D LUT header that is now generated automatically by DisplayCAL if the tone curve is set to SMPTE 2084. Note that installation of HDR 3D LUTs into these slots from within DisplayCAL is currently not possible (you'll be asked to save the 3D LUT instead) due to missing API in madVR, so you have to select the 3D LUT in madVR manually.

Two new features have been added for HDR/SMPTE 2084, both only visible if you enable "Show advanced options" in the options menu:

• Maximum content light level (maxCLL). Adjusting the maximum content light level to that of the actual video material will gain you a slightly(!) better utilization of your display's maximum brightness capabilities, but note that this needs to be set carefully because setting it wrongly can cause visual artifacting, and HDR metadata is not a reliable source to determine the actual encoded maxCLL. Therefore, I would strongly(!) suggest to leave the maxCLL settting at its default value of 10000 cd/m2.
  • Content colorspace. For all currently available HDR content (that I know of), this should be left at the default (DCI P3). The content colorspace setting influences perceptual gamut mapping, less so colorimetric, and colorimetric is still the recommended choice for generating HDR 3D LUTs.

Enjoy!
N3W813 likes this.

DisplayCAL - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization
Previous development snapshot (OUTDATED): 3.1.3.2 Beta (Windows/0install) released 2016-04-23 | Standalone | Changelog
DisplayCAL on Facebook
post #4357 of 4362 Old 08-25-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Many thanks - and great job!

FWIW, I can say that the new DisplayCAL build produces very nice HDR tone mapping 3dluts, which are at least comparable, probably slightly superior to what madVR does with its real time shader math. Furthermore, using a 3dlut instead of shader math saves GPU power. So overall highly recommended! The only disadvantage is that things like video and display peak luminance are burned into the 3dlut, while when using the shader math, you can adjust those values on the fly.

@fhoech , maybe it would make sense to create a selection of "neutral" 3dluts (meaning multiple 3dluts for different display peak luminance values), and make them available either on your or my server? Might be useful for non-calibration users, who just want to save some GPU performance, and get the best possible HDR quality, without having to dive into ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL installation and usage. Just a thought, though. What do you think?
post #4358 of 4362 Old 08-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
@fhoech , maybe it would make sense to create a selection of "neutral" 3dluts (meaning multiple 3dluts for different display peak luminance values), and make them available either on your or my server? Might be useful for non-calibration users, who just want to save some GPU performance, and get the best possible HDR quality, without having to dive into ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL installation and usage. Just a thought, though. What do you think?
Sure, we can do that. Which specific peak luminance levels do you have in mind? Also by "neutral", assume Rec. 709 gamma 2.2 as the destination or something along those lines? I could host the files, although I'm on shared hosting.

DisplayCAL on Facebook
post #4359 of 4362 Old Yesterday, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Ouch, I forgot about BT.709 vs DCI-P3, and gamma 2.2 vs 2.4. I think we'd need a whole bunch of 3dluts to cover all areas... Can you give me a short instruction on how to create neutral 3dluts myself, then I'll do that when I find some time. I just tried, but didn't really manage to do it. In DisplayCAL itself, when pressing on 3dlut (without profiling) the button at the bottom to create the 3dlut stayed gray, and I couldn't make it enable. Then I tried using the 3dlut-maker exe directly, but somehow the created 3dlut changes doesn't appear to be neutral. Probably I messed something up somewhere...
post #4360 of 4362 Unread Yesterday, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

A DCI-P3/SMPTE431 profile comes with Argyll CMS (in the "ref" folder). You can generate a Rec709 gamma 2.2 profile with DisplayCAL's synthetic ICC profile creator. When these profiles are to be used as a substitute for an actual display profile, they need to be set under "Target profile" in the 3D LUT maker.

DisplayCAL on Facebook
post #4361 of 4362 Unread Yesterday, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, thanks, I'll give that a try.
post #4362 of 4362 Unread Today, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A question to gwgill and/or fhoech.

Displaycal is unable to get the whitebalance right on my laptop. Since there are no hardware RGB controls on most laptops, it's all in software.

Would it be possible to have 3 sliders for RGB to set the (8/10bit depending on the display) the whitebalance for 100% in software in the initial measurement dialong akin to adjusting the hardware controls? I'm not sure this is the right way, but I am unable to match the whitebalance on my laptops (and to each other) compared to my external monitor. It would be easier to adjust my luminance too. (Argyllcms will display this when run from the commandline, but it would be nice to know what your luminance would be before you start the calibration/profiling process)

Last edited by Bloodwound; Today at 05:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration