Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #2431 of 2448 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 250
After "Generate profile from measurement data..." using the BPC switch, and then viewing some video.
I made 1 LUT with tone gamma 2.2 turned on.
The 2nd LUT was with tone gamma turned off.
The 3rd LUT I used "create synthetic ICC profile, with tone gamma turned off.

imo using the same profile to make both BT 1886 2.4 (with BPC turn off) and Rec. 2.2/2.22 (BPC turn on).
I could see more flash tone details when viewing BT 1886 2.4 and BPC turned off.
The same internal brightness setting was spot on when using BPC, Rec. 2.2 or 2.22.
When using BT 1886 2.4 with BPC turned off the same internal brightness setting is high by 1 or 2 points.

I just used the test patterns in Ted's disc for these comparisons.

ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2448 Old Today, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Could someone point me in the right direction for verifying a 3d_lut loaded into an eecolor box?

When the profile is created/completed, it tells me my Av de is 0.3 - max dE0.7 (3d lut then created with Rec709_gamma2.x.icm) but when I use the measurement report with the available testchart eg. verify_video_large.ti1 etc.. and target profile is showing my created profile .icm (other options grey'd out) i'm seeing large errors up to dE6 in the generated report, which also doesn't look right for the inc charts.
post #2433 of 2448 Old Today, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
Could someone point me in the right direction for verifying a 3d_lut loaded into an eecolor box?

When the profile is created/completed, it tells me my Av de is 0.3 - max dE0.7 (3d lut then created with Rec709_gamma2.x.icm) but when I use the measurement report with the available testchart eg. verify_video_large.ti1 etc.. and target profile is showing my created profile .icm (other options grey'd out) i'm seeing large errors up to dE6 in the generated report, which also doesn't look right for the inc charts.
Make sure the settings in the measurement report window match those during 3D LUT creation (simulation profile needs to be the same as source profile, disable BT.1886 mapping when not using Rec709.icm) and enable "Use simulation profile as target profile".
post #2434 of 2448 Old Today, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Make sure the settings in the measurement report window match those during 3D LUT creation (simulation profile needs to be the same as source profile, disable BT.1886 mapping when not using Rec709.icm) and enable "Use simulation profile as target profile".

Ah, yes thank you!!

Just been looking at those as i knew this wasn't exactly right somewhere in the measurement setup page, just to clarify with you, with some further questions..

testchart - pick any suitable (is it possible to create a larger custom testchart than available?)

Source profile - (for REC709 PLaw gamma 2.x used in 3dlut creation) use same icm eg Rec709_gamma2.x.icm (where is the default location of these files as could not find then in usual \ref folder)

Bt1886 - not used for Plaw

Target profile - Profile created using "profile only" creation

And thanks for the quick reply :0
post #2435 of 2448 Old Today, 02:38 AM

Quote:
(is it possible to create a larger custom testchart than available?)
Yes, click the small colored squares next to the dropdown.

Quote:
Source profile - (for REC709 PLaw gamma 2.x used in 3dlut creation) use same icm eg Rec709_gamma2.x.icm (where is the default location of these files as could not find then in usual \ref folder)
You can see the location of the selected file if you hover the dropdown.

Quote:
Target profile - Profile created using "profile only" creation
Doesn't apply when not using BT.1886 and verifying a 3D LUT.
post #2436 of 2448 Old Today, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post

You can see the location of the selected file if you hover the dropdown.

Great, thank you again, the files were all there when I selected the drop down as you said, looked grey'd out, so originally opened the file locate icon, doh!

So when I've selected the simulation profile (REC709_Gamma2.x.icm), the other options become editable and so I select "use simulation profile as target" and de-select "enable MadVR 3dlut" ?

Last edited by -Hitman-; Today at 03:12 AM.
post #2437 of 2448 Old Today, 05:37 AM

Quote:
So when I've selected the simulation profile (REC709_Gamma2.x.icm), the other options become editable and so I select "use simulation profile as target" and de-select "enable MadVR 3dlut" ?
If verifying a 3D LUT loaded into your eecolor, then yes, you have to disable any madVR 3D LUT.
post #2438 of 2448 Old Today, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hi there,

I've installed Argyll+DispCal to evaluate the LUT generation for MadVR especially in relation to using MadTPG but I get an error when I follow the instructions to install the Argyll driver for my i1pro2. I don't trust the i1pro2 below 15% white but it's more to see how the software works.

I've tried uninstalling the Calman drivers, but I still get the same message (see attached).

Any idea why?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png i1pro2 issue.PNG (18.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Manni01; Today at 11:15 AM.
post #2439 of 2448 Old Today, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure why but I've installed HCFR 3.0 and I've selected the driver folder in HCFR and the Argyll driver for the i1pro is installed. All the versions installed are the latest version available.
post #2440 of 2448 Old Today, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
do you adjust previously brigtheness and contrast?
post #2441 of 2448 Old Today, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Hi there,

I've installed Argyll+DispCal to evaluate the LUT generation for MadVR especially in relation to using MadTPG but I get an error when I follow the instructions to install the Argyll driver for my i1pro2. I don't trust the i1pro2 below 15% white but it's more to see how the software works.

I've tried uninstalling the Calman drivers, but I still get the same message (see attached).

Any idea why?

Thanks!
You need to disable driver signature verification enforcement.

Have a look on Dispcal website on how to install drivers for Spectro's.
post #2442 of 2448 Old Today, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You need to disable driver signature verification enforcement.

Have a look on Dispcal website on how to install drivers for Spectro's.

Thanks Hitman, that did it.

I was following Dispcal's drivers instructions, didn't see that mentioned.

Weirdly HCFR seems to have the same drivers and they installed fine.

Anyway, I disabled driver's signature and the ArgyllCMS driver installed this time.
post #2443 of 2448 Old Today, 05:07 PM

Liked: 40
Guys I'm in trouble and i need some help :-) I have an Epson projector and a desktop PC with a Nvidia card. I have set PJ to expect 0-255 video and Nvidia and madvr to 0255 also. I have a eye1 display 2 meter.

I assume the guide on page one is still current so that is what I have followed. When calibration and profiling is done after step 3.8 Im asked if I want to install the calibration. That cant be done because the display is virtual (madvr). What am I supposed to do there?

I have trid to choose "dont install" and run the 3Dlut tool anyway. It completes and i can choose the 3Dlut file in madvr settings. Trouble is that it looks much worse than calibration via PJs CMS. Gray scale ramp is all red-tinted when played through jriver with madvr.

Can anyone please give a hint how to fix this? Is there any more important information i need to provide to help trouble shoot?

Thanks
post #2444 of 2448 Old Today, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 47
you did "everything" right at least it reads like you did.
how old is that meter?
and what did the report said after calibration?
can you run a "Measurement report"? you find that option under Tools.
post #2445 of 2448 Old Today, 05:46 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
you did "everything" right at least it reads like you did.
how old is that meter?
and what did the report said after calibration?
can you run a "Measurement report"? you find that option under Tools.
OK thanks. The meter is approx 3 years old I think. It is (visibly) good enough calibrating grey scale in calman 4 so i would assume it is still reasonable. I will re-run calibration and profiling later and post the results here. I already deleted everything because it didnt look right.

May I ask if it is necessary to both calibrate and profile the display. I only need this for movies to look right. Is it not enough to profile the display and then create the 3Dlut to correct for the inherent errors in the display when playing video in madvr? It seems kind of redundant running the calibration part when I cant install it anyway? Also it takes a long time. Maybe its a silly question but im only used to calibrate via the cms in the display.

Last edited by splotten; Today at 06:23 PM.
post #2446 of 2448 Old Today, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by splotten View Post
May I ask if it is necessary to both calibrate and profile the display. I only need this for movies to look right. Is it not enough to profile the display and then create the 3Dlut to correct for the inherent errors in the display when playing video in madvr?
Doing per-channel display calibration adds a degree of complexity, and a lot more that can go wrong. It's actually a pretty good approach to start just with profiling and get that working before looking into whether you really want or need to elaborate the whole procedure with display calibration as well.
post #2447 of 2448 Old Today, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 250
@gwgill

There seems to be a difference in my black level brightness setting, using my K10-A and beta 1.7.
I need to drop my brightness setting in my VT60 by 3 points to compensate for the 3DLUT that is made.
However if I use Black point compensation when rebuilding my profile, the black point comes out correct with my normal pre calibration settings.
I use a VT60 that has a black point reading of about .0012.
imo using Black point compensation, lessens the PQ slightly.

On a side note it may be helpful if you included a black calibration for the K10.
I use ChromaSurf before I run Argyll 1.7, too do a black calibration for my K10.
I use Bt.1886 2.4 Absolute when making a 3DLUT.

ss
post #2448 of 2448 Old Today, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
@gwgill
There seems to be a difference in my black level brightness setting, using my K10-A and beta 1.7.
I need to drop my brightness setting in my VT60 by 3 points to compensate for the 3DLUT that is made.
There can be black level inaccuracies in both the calibration step (if you are using that) and the profiling that can result in a slightly raised black level in the 3DLut. In the beta you are using, there is a colprof option to manually override the black point to correct that inaccuracy in the profile (colprof -B X,Y,Z), but be warned - I'm removing that option and replacing it with a different option in collink for the next snapshot, since it will be easier to use.

If there is a problem with dispcal black point inaccuracy, then I don't currently have a solution for that - dispcal already takes a very long time attempting to get an accurate black point, and it will take a re-think and re-implementation to come up with something else.
Quote:
I use a VT60 that has a black point reading of about .0012.
imo using Black point compensation, lessens the PQ slightly.
Yes, it's hard to pin that down, even with a K10A.
Quote:
On a side note it may be helpful if you included a black calibration for the K10.
I use ChromaSurf before I run Argyll 1.7, too do a black calibration for my K10.
I use Bt.1886 2.4 Absolute when making a 3DLUT.
That is supported - see the "dispcal -J" and "dispread -J". I'm not sure if DispcalGUI makes that option avaliable or not though.

ss[/QUOTE]
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page