38Likes

post #2641 of 2662 Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
No, it's not possible to create a 3D LUT from a .cal file alone.
After calibration only it showed ok message, I closed and created the 3Dlut in "tools"!

With "calibration & profile" why does it stop with that message?
I don't know how to make it work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2662 Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't know what 3dlut you actually created, maybe the target profile field contained something as default and you created a 3dlut accordingly, but it's sure that you need to create a profile (.icc) file in order to create the linking profile and then the 3dlut.

Strange that dispread doesn't start while dispcal starts... wait for the help of the expert guys...
post #2643 of 2662 Old 09-18-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaT View Post
After calibration only it showed ok message, I closed and created the 3Dlut in "tools"!
Then you have created a profile aswell, or you had a previously created profile set as target profile.

Quote:
With "calibration & profile" why does it stop with that message?
I don't know how to make it work
Are you using a 3rd party virus scanner or firewall by any chance? You may need to add exceptions for the Argyll tools (dispcal, dispread etc.).
post #2644 of 2662 Old 09-18-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
You have a couple of options to deal with the lower grey area, dark region emphasis, black point compensation, increasing the number of white patches in the testchart and output offsets
I would recommend getting an i1d3 and combining it/profiling with your i1pro to create an offset for the D3, then you can get much better results below 30% grey than you can with the i1pro alone.
Thanks for your response!
In a few days I'll get a colormunki display (I'm over budget now and have time.). Going to try your suggestions.
My jvc hd350 supports deep color. Is it worth the trouble experimenting with 10bit/channel output (some radeon beta drivers have an option to enable it, not just a firepro privilege in a near future)? Does it yield something in a madvr/3dlut enviroment?

Last edited by bsod; 09-18-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #2645 of 2662 Old 09-18-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Then you have created a profile aswell, or you had a previously created profile set as target profile.

Are you using a 3rd party virus scanner or firewall by any chance? You may need to add exceptions for the Argyll tools (dispcal, dispread etc.).
I have "Norton 360", I will check and set it
post #2646 of 2662 Old 09-18-2014, 07:02 PM

I tried disabling firewall!

It start completely different from before, opening a window with "start measurements" and messagge to adjust manually some TV values then it starts the process

After about one hour it stops showing:

"Error - test_crt returned error code 3"
post #2647 of 2662 Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:

After about one hour it stops showing:

"Error - test_crt returned error code 3"
You may have made some mess with the default testchart, try choosing a different one among those for LUT profiles.
post #2648 of 2662 Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 AM

I doubt the error has anything to do with the testchart. You'll have to examine the logs just before the error.
post #2649 of 2662 Old 09-19-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukulcan View Post
You may have made some mess with the default testchart, try choosing a different one among those for LUT profiles.
I tried twice one with a 3778 patches made from me and once with the default techchart of MadVR profile.

Quote:
I doubt the error has anything to do with the testchart. You'll have to examine the logs just before the error.
So which log? What should I do?
post #2650 of 2662 Old 09-19-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:

So which log? What should I do?
C/users/you/appdata/roaming/dispcalgui/storage/name of the calibration

In the folder above there should be a .txt file (not 100% sure about it, I'writing with a pc without dispcalgui), copy and upload here this file
post #2651 of 2662 Old 09-19-2014, 01:33 PM

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\dispcalGUI\logs (because session logfiles are only created for succesful runs, so you have to look at the global logfiles in this case)
post #2652 of 2662 Old 09-21-2014, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Dear all!
I remarked something strange when calibrating devices.
Before calibration, I manually calibrate my whitepoint @ 6500k and always check the brightness and the contrast to be able to see the flashing bar (17 and 234 and not below or above).
But after calibration with dispcalgui and argyllcms (g2.4 ABS bt1886 or g2.4 REL and 100% black output offset) I can't see below 19. It happenned on my plasma, my jvc projector, my PC display... On all devices.
When I check the difference before/after on my last calibration for my jvc x35, I obtain this

%White 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100%
Before (cd/m²) 0,17 1,04 2,92 5,75 9,55 13,84 18,93 24,79 30,98 37,81
After (cd/m²) 0,15 0,79 2,09 4,18 7,08 10,71 15,62 21,36 28,2 36,35

Do you know what I'm missing?

Thanks for your great help.

Last edited by Francois76l; 09-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
post #2653 of 2662 Old 09-21-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
There can be black level inaccuracies in both the calibration step (if you are using that) and the profiling that can result in a slightly raised black level in the 3DLut. In the beta you are using, there is a colprof option to manually override the black point to correct that inaccuracy in the profile (colprof -B X,Y,Z), but be warned - I'm removing that option and replacing it with a different option in collink for the next snapshot, since it will be easier to use.
ss
[/QUOTE]

When adding this line (-B X,Y,Z) to colprof, the outcome of the profile's black reading was spot on.

Using the new dispcalGUI 2.5 powered by ArgyllCMS (snap shot beta 1.7 May release), would using Tone curve "As measured" have the same affect as colprof -B X,Y,Z.?

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2654 of 2662 Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally
Using the new dispcalGUI 2.5 powered by ArgyllCMS (snap shot beta 1.7 May release), would using Tone curve "As measured" have the same affect as colprof -B X,Y,Z.?
They do different things. The Argyll 1.7 beta colprof -B X,Y,Z option (that is only available in the beta executables Graeme posted in may and has since been removed/replaced with the collink -b option) overrides the black point of the profile and sets it to that value, but this doesn't affect calibration.
Tone curve "As measured" on the other hand means "don't create calibration curves" but interactive display adjustment is still possible (it's basically a convenience option, you could have the same effect by starting a calibration, adjusting the display, canceling the calibration and starting "profile only").
post #2655 of 2662 Old 09-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
When adding this line (-B X,Y,Z) to colprof, the outcome of the profile's black reading was spot on.

The replacement functionality is the "collink -b" flag.
post #2656 of 2662 Old 09-21-2014, 11:48 PM

Humm I don't really understand what I should do now for correct my problem.
Do I need to restart a new calibration?
How I activate the command "collink -b" under DispCalGUI?

I try hard but still feel newb sometimes...

Another question (nothing to deal with the first one ): I want to buy a spectrophotometer for create matrix corrections for my i1D3 and my display devices. I have a good opportunity for an efi ES-1000 eye-one UV Cut.
Is the UV Cut option a problem for creating ccmx files? I think that UV cut eliminates UV light below 350nm. So it shouldn't be a a problem but?

HiFi:Nad C320BEE+Marantz CD-63 MkII-Ki Signature+Boston VR2+DIY cabling
HC:Onkyo TX-SR875+Boston VR2+CR8+Chorus cc800v+Subwoofer MJ Acoustic Ref1 MKII
DISPLAYS:Panasonic P50ST50E/JVC DLA-X35+110" gain 0.8+HTPC (LAV+ffdshow+Avisynth+MPC-BE+MadVr)

Last edited by Francois76l; Yesterday at 12:32 AM.
post #2657 of 2662 Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois76l View Post
How I activate the command "collink -b" under DispCalGUI?
You don't - it's not in the current release.
Quote:
Another question (nothing to deal with the first one ): I want to buy a spectrophotometer for create matrix corrections for my i1D3 and my display devices. I have a good opportunity for an efi ES-1000 eye-one UV Cut.
Is the UV Cut option a problem for creating ccmx files? I think that UV cut eliminates UV light below 350nm. So it shouldn't be a a problem but?
Yes, UV cut shouldn't be a problem when reading displays, because the UV filter is only applied to the illuminant used in reflective measurement.
Francois76l likes this.
post #2658 of 2662 Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM

ok great! Thanks gwgill!

Concerning my grayscale problem after calibration, the solution is to go in the gamma editor in the projector OSD and increase the 5% white a little bit until 17 become visible.

DISPLAYS:Panasonic P50ST50E/JVC DLA-X35+110" gain 0.8+HTPC (LAV+ffdshow+Avisynth+MPC-BE+MadVr)
post #2659 of 2662 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Hi Francois76l,

all your devices returns the same results, it makes think...maybe you're wrong in dealing with those flashing bars (and you'd be not the first one...)

Possible problems:

-you don't see bar 17 flashing after calibration, but is your room fully darkened?

-same results with bt1886 and 100% output offset (the latter is generally known here as power law gamma with black point compensation): impossible! Because the difference in the luminance of the 1% video level (bar 17) is huge among these 2 different tone curve options, so it means you probably calibrate to the same tone curve (making somewhere a mistake in dispcaligui)

-I learned not to trust to those bars! They are based on a visual evaluation between the difference in black levels (which unfortunately depends on the ambient light conditions), so a colorimeter is a better device than our visual judgement. Morover the BTB and WTW are not dealt within the 3dlut and so the bars may appear of strange colors making you think that the 3dlut has problems, while it simply doesn't care of code (0-15 and 236-255) not contained in video material)

I'd say to forget about those bars and make some other kind of visual check
Francois76l likes this.
post #2660 of 2662 Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

Thanks Kukulcan for your help!

-you don't see bar 17 flashing after calibration, but is your room fully darkened?
My room is fully darkened and I calibrated my friend's projector in a dedicated room with same result

-same results with bt1886 and 100% output offset (the latter is generally known here as power law gamma with black point compensation): impossible! Because the difference in the luminance of the 1% video level (bar 17) is huge among these 2 different tone curve options, so it means you probably calibrate to the same tone curve (making somewhere a mistake in dispcaligui)
Humm maybe you're right. I generated two 3dlut after calibration and profiling. The first one with Rec 1886, gamma 2.4 Absolute and the second one with custom tone curve gamma 2.4 Relative and 100% black output offset. But before that, in calibration settings, Tone curve was set to Rec. 1886 Gamma 2.4 Absolute. This is not the good way? Can you explain to me the good process?

-I learned not to trust to those bars! They are based on a visual evaluation between the difference in black levels (which unfortunately depends on the ambient light conditions), so a colorimeter is a better device than our visual judgement. Morover the BTB and WTW are not dealt within the 3dlut and so the bars may appear of strange colors making you think that the 3dlut has problems, while it simply doesn't care of code (0-15 and 236-255) not contained in video material)
I'd say to forget about those bars and make some other kind of visual check.
Yes sure you're right but I have the feeling that I'm missing informations on dark scene. It's sometimes too dark

PS: Does anybody know where I can find a tutorial for generating a ccmx file for my i1d3 with an i1pro spectrophotometer?

post #2661 of 2662 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukulcan View Post
-same results with bt1886 and 100% output offset
Basically a contradiction in terms. BT.1886 is by definition fully input offset black handling. So 100% output offset is the exact opposite of BT.1886, and will produce maximum contrast in the black steps near black (or maximum loss of shadow detail).
post #2662 of 2662 Old Today, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois76l View Post
PS: Does anybody know where I can find a tutorial for generating a ccmx file for my i1d3 with an i1pro spectrophotometer?
Hello Francois 76l,
I'm also struggling creating a ccmx. Making it is not hard in dispcalgui, but it is always a bit biased/tinted. Getting errors about 2-2,5 deletE from reference. The created 3dlut therefore is also visibly tinted. Yesterday went back to command-line (argyll). That is also relatively easy to use but still not getting it quite right.
I'm sure it is not hardware related because in hcfr I'm getting marginal errors.

Looking forward someone shedding light!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page