post #2671 of 2692 Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by numen View Post
@gwgill . true, but not everyone is comfortable with the command line. I think dispcalGUI needs a better workflow for this and clearer documentation. Requiring a user to click cancel mid-way is counterintuitive.
Sure - but it wasn't clear to me if DispcalGUI was being used. Certainly from the command line, you wouldn't split the process up into two measurements and then using ccxxmake on them, unless you had some unusual requirements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2692 Old 09-26-2014, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
@gwgill . true, but not everyone is comfortable with the command line. I think dispcalGUI needs a better workflow for this and clearer documentation. Requiring a user to click cancel mid-way is counterintuitive.
The UI for colorimeter correction creation in dispcalGUI sucked until now. I've improved this in the latest develoment snapshot, available via Zero Install or standalone. It's now an operation in one go just like with ccxxmake.
-Hitman-, bsod, |Tch0rT| and 1 others like this.
post #2673 of 2692 Old 09-26-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
The UI for colorimeter correction creation in dispcalGUI sucked until now. I've improved this in the latest develoment snapshot, available via Zero Install or standalone. It's now an operation in one go just like with ccxxmake.
Sounds great. It will be a welcome change especially for newcomers, but even those who until now preferred to run ccxxmake will have a convenience of creating a profile in one go directly in dispcalGUI. I will definitely give it a go once it gets into the stable build.
post #2674 of 2692 Old 09-26-2014, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Sounds great. It will be a welcome change especially for newcomers, but even those who until now preferred to run ccxxmake will have a convenience of creating a profile in one go directly in dispcalGUI. I will definitely give it a go once it gets into the stable build.
The more people test it, the better the likelihood of a timely stable release (there's nothing to loose, you can use the standalone snapshot without having to uninstall the current stable version)
post #2675 of 2692 Old 09-26-2014, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
The more people test it, the better the likelihood of a timely stable release (there's nothing to loose, you can use the standalone snapshot without having to uninstall the current stable version)
You are right, tested now and that is what I call an improvement! Easy, intuitive and clear.

Well done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Create colorimeter correction.png
Views:	193
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	281049  
post #2676 of 2692 Old 09-27-2014, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for this great update! It's perfect!
The problem for me is that I have to run madtpg in window mode because I have to calibrate my i1pro.
Would be great if we can calibrate the i1pro and then start measuring the testchart in fullscreen mode without any question (i1pro and i1d3 already in place)
Not sure if i'm clear...

Concerning the i1pro and the dark reading calibration before measuring the testchart, what do you call the calibration plate? Because the message box say "Place the instrument on a dark, matte surface or into its calibration plate and press OK..."
My calibration plate have a white patch and not a black patch. Is it ok?
How do you proceed?

Thanks

HiFi:Nad C320BEE+Marantz CD-63 MkII-Ki Signature+Boston VR2+DIY cabling
HC:Onkyo TX-SR875+Boston VR2+CR8+Chorus cc800v+Subwoofer MJ Acoustic Ref1 MKII
DISPLAYS:Panasonic P50ST50E/JVC DLA-X35+110" gain 0.8+HTPC (LAV+ffdshow+Avisynth+MPC-BE+MadVr)
post #2677 of 2692 Old 09-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois76l View Post
Concerning the i1pro and the dark reading calibration before measuring the testchart, what do you call the calibration plate? Because the message box say "Place the instrument on a dark, matte surface or into its calibration plate and press OK..."
My calibration plate have a white patch and not a black patch. Is it ok?
How do you proceed?

Thanks

It's just that, a calibration plate AKA white tile.

You can use a dark matt surface instead and does the same job, I use the inside of a non glossy matt black dvd case for example, (Calibration plate is strictly required when using the eye-one diagnostics as it needs it for reflectance tests).
Francois76l likes this.
post #2678 of 2692 Old 09-28-2014, 04:14 AM

Great so I generated my correction matrix for my JVC (you can find it in the colorimeter correction database for DispCalGUI)!
But I created it with HCFR Colorimeter because with DispCalGUI, I have to click on the dialog box (for calibrate the spectro or click on continu to run the measurement with the colorimeter) and because of that, I have to run MadTPG in window mode. The problem is that in window mode the black measurement is not good because the window is white.
With HCFR Colorimeter, I can calibrate the spectro and then run measurements in fullscreen mode.
To generate the CCMX file, I simply copied/pasted the matrix from HCFR to a ccmx file

The correlation between spectro and colorimeter is now perfect and I succesfully calibrated my projector with this new matrix.

Huge thanks

DISPLAYS:Panasonic P50ST50E/JVC DLA-X35+110" gain 0.8+HTPC (LAV+ffdshow+Avisynth+MPC-BE+MadVr)
post #2679 of 2692 Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Awesome!
I'm gonna test it later and report back. The screen shot looks great!

Thank you Florian!

Edit:
Confirming it's working flawlessly!
Thanks again!

Last edited by bsod; Yesterday at 01:48 AM.
post #2680 of 2692 Old 09-29-2014, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if this was asked before but how do I generate like custom APL test pattern using MadPTG (for plasma calibration)?
post #2681 of 2692 Old 09-29-2014, 09:58 AM

For plasma calibration you can use 8% for "Image area" and 25% for "Background" in "APL - Gamma light" mode (or 40% in "Linear light").

Concerning the calibration, I have an i1d3 and an i1pro rev D. I created a ccmx file for my i1d3 but do you think it's better to run the calibration and profiling with the i1pro instead of the i1d3? I heard that the i1pro is not good for dark reading. Can anyone explain to me the best practice?

Thanks
post #2682 of 2692 Old 09-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You should use the profiled i1D3 as the i1pro starts falling off ~30% and also requires constant dark measurements, which inturn will make the calibration process semi-automatic.
post #2683 of 2692 Old 09-29-2014, 02:29 PM

Ok, clear, thanks Hitman

post #2684 of 2692 Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM

Quote:

The correlation between spectro and colorimeter is now perfect and I succesfully calibrated my projector with this new matrix.
Too perfect. As I know, there should be some deviation on the lower IRE-s as the i1pro spectro is not reliable below 1fL. That is why a corrected colorimeter is advised.
post #2685 of 2692 Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I don't get all the excitement over profiling the i1D3 to the i1 Pro sprectro. The DryCreekPhoto folks showed it has more unit to unit variation and is less accurate than the i1 Display Pro (i1D3). link

post #2686 of 2692 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsod View Post
Too perfect. As I know, there should be some deviation on the lower IRE-s as the i1pro spectro is not reliable below 1fL. That is why a corrected colorimeter is advised.
Interesting but the measurement duration for generating the ccmx file is really short and begin just after positionning the calibration plate so it should be accurate no?
As I said, I used HCFR colorimeter for generating my correction but maybe it's not the good way and I should use DispcalGUI.
Any advices? How do you proceed?

post #2687 of 2692 Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

@bsod

In attachment you will find my result with i1pro, i1D3 without correction and i1D3 with i1Pro profiling (HCFR Colorimeter format .chc)
It looks accurate for me. What do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: zip i1D3_i1Pro_Profiling_JVC_X35.zip (60.8 KB, 2 views)

post #2688 of 2692 Old Today, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Interesting but the measurement duration for generating the ccmx file is really short and begin just after positionning the calibration plate so it should be accurate no?
As I said, I used HCFR colorimeter for generating my correction but maybe it's not the good way and I should use DispcalGUI.
Any advices? How do you proceed?
I'm no expert by any means. My limited knowledge and experience is that you should get minor variance on low-mid levels and and huge deltaE-s in the darkest. To my understanding you get about the same readings on both instruments at all levels.
post #2689 of 2692 Old Today, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
@bsod

In attachment you will find my result with i1pro, i1D3 without correction and i1D3 with i1Pro profiling (HCFR Colorimeter format .chc)
It looks accurate for me. What do you think?
You're using ArgyllCMS's i1pro driver, and it doesn't necessarily have identical characteristics to the X-Rite driver that other software uses. For emissive measurements it is using adaptive integration times, and these help improve the low light repeatability. The i1d3 will probably be better though, and is going to be more stable than a Rev A-D i1pro with temperature and time from last black calibration.
post #2690 of 2692 Old Today, 11:37 AM

Thanks gwgill but there is something I don't understand.
I read many times on this thread that we have to buy an i1Pro rev D for profiling (only profiling) the i1D3.
I know that the i1D3 is more accurate than the i1Pro for low light measurements but I was thinking that for all the rest the i1Pro is better (no need of any correction file and the sensor is really stable with time). That's why we use it for generate the correction file no?
An i1D3 could be really accurate when using a correction file specially designed for it and the display device.
All is finally wrong

post #2691 of 2692 Old Today, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Profile the D3 with the i1pro and then put the i1pro away until you need another profile. If you are measuring the same display the D3 does not have to be profiled again for months.

-----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2692 of 2692 Old Today, 12:16 PM

OK Zoyd, that is exactly what I do.
What do you think about my results? It looks ok for you?
What about the post of Bsod?
"I'm no expert by any means. My limited knowledge and experience is that you should get minor variance on low-mid levels and and huge deltaE-s in the darkest. To my understanding you get about the same readings on both instruments at all levels. "

Thanks for your explanations

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page