59Likes

post #2791 of 2797 Old 10-26-2014, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony359 View Post
EDIT: apologies, the gamma control of MadVR was set to 1.9! Attached the new gamma, which is now around 2.14.
The curve shape looks like what I'd expect when targeting BT.1886, although it depends on the black level. If you'd like to play with the parameters, you can re-create the 3D LUT (no measurements needed) with different settings, e.g. tweak the gamma slightly or change it from "absolute" to "relative" (in which case you may actually want to lower the gamma from the default 2.4 to 2.2, which will give you a 2.2 response at 50%), and/or add some percentage of output offset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2797 Old 10-28-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for replying!

Can I just use a little more of your time: I open DispcalGUI and select the calibration which was created under "Settings", then I select "create 3Dlut". Besides changing the gamma from absolute to relative, how do I further "tweak" the gamma?
What does the black output offset do? Increase the black level?

Re. the 14fL, false alarm. The lamp has dropped a little, I have 15.1fL with no calibration, I'd say that I am actually quite lucky to have 14.1fL after calibration!

Thanks!
post #2793 of 2797 Old 10-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Besides changing the gamma from absolute to relative, how do I further "tweak" the gamma?
What does the black output offset do? Increase the black level?
The gamma controls don't affect the black level at all, but do influence shadow detail and the relative brightness of midtones. An output offset of 0% is equivalent to BT.1886-like (input offset), while an output offset of 100% is equivalent to a "pure power" curve.
The difference between "absolute" and "relative" is that "relative" is less influenced by the display black level (i.e. setting gamma to "relative" will give you almost exactly the set gamma value at 50%, while "absolute" will produce a lower effective gamma in most cases. How much lower depends on the black level, the lower the black level, the less difference between "absolute"/"relative" and 0%/100% output offset).
bsod likes this.
post #2794 of 2797 Old 10-29-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks.
I am aware that gamma does not affect the black; what I was wondering is what "black offset" does. Are you saying that black offset is tweaking the gamma?
Thanks for explaining the absolute and relative difference!
post #2795 of 2797 Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
what I was wondering is what "black offset" does. Are you saying that black offset is tweaking the gamma?
Yes. If you want to get a better idea how it affects the curve shape, you could create a few synthetic profiles with different settings (set black luminance to a value above 0) and view the resulting tone response curves in the curve viewer.
post #2796 of 2797 Old Today, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Recently I have a video issue that I can't overcome.
Only my monitor is affected, the secondary projector isn't . After a few seconds of playback, a blueish layer appears on top of the video. If I put an other window on top, the blue layer is on top of that window also. Not only the madVR renderer is affected (playing around the 3dlut doesn't help), if I play a yt video in a browser it also has the blue layer. If I scroll a bit the blue layer lags behind, disappears and appears again randomly. See attached photo and linked video. What is it? Tried reprofiling, disabling profile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6nL...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141101_102242.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	343818  

Last edited by bsod; Today at 04:00 AM.
post #2797 of 2797 Old Today, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 96
looks like a defect on the screen or GPU.

a icc or icm profile loaded with dispcalGUI effect the hole screen. a 3D LUT for madVR only affects the madVR window. only a part of the screen is affected by this so this should be an issue with calibration
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page