This thread will be dedicated to the process of generating 3DLUT corrections using ArgyllCMS for use in MadVR video renderer.Required SoftwareArgyllCMS 32-bitDispcalGUIMadVR video renderer
DirectShow video player that can use MadVR (ie. Zoom Player, MPC-HC, etc.)Required Hardware
An ArgyllCMS supported colorimeter or spectrophotometerA. Install ArgyllCMS, DispcalGUI, and MadVR
B. Create MadVR compatible 3DLUT from ArgyllCMS tools1. Start MadVR Test Pattern Generator
- Extract ArcgyllCMS to a folder of your choice (ie. C:\ArgyllCMS) == [ArgyllCMS_install_folder]
- Install DispcalGUI to a folder of your choice == [DispcalGUI_install_folder]
- Extract MadVR to a folder of your choice (ie. C:\MadVR)
- Run 'install.bat' in the MadVR folder as Administrator
2. Start DispcalGUI3. Set the following settings in DispcalGUI
- Open madTPG.exe from the MadVR install folder
- Enable "use fullscreen"
- Enable "disable VideoLuts"
- Enable "disable 3dlut"
4. After the process is complete, go to Tools in the menu bar and select 'Create 3D LUT...'5. Set the following settings for Create 3D LUT tool
- Select 'madVR' under Settings
- Select 'madVR' for Display device
- Select 'Rec. 1886' for Tone curve
- Disable Black point compensation and Smooth B2A tables. Enable Low quality B2A tables.
- Click on 'File' on the toolbar, select 'Edit testchart...'
- Use the options in the testchart screenshot below for a basic 2000 patch set. (You can adjust the pattern set parameters based on your display response behavior)
- Click 'Create testchart', click 'Save as...' and save the pattern set to a location, then click on 'Select' when prompted to use the created testchart.
- Click 'Calibrate & profile' button. The duration of the process will depend on the speed of your meter.
C. Apply the 3DLUT file in MadVR
- Select 'madVR (.3dlut)' for 3D LUT file format
- For Source profile file, browse to the Rec709.icm file from the 'ref' sub-directory in the program path of ArgyllCMS
- For Target profile file, browse to the .icm file created from the profile process
- Enable 'Apply calibration (vcgt)'
- Enable 'Apply BT.1886 gamma mapping' and select '2.4 Absolute'
- Select 'Absolute colorimetic with white point scaling' for Rendering intent
- Click on 'Create 3D LUT...' button
- Provide the filename and location to save the 3DLUT
- Play any video file in a media player with MadVR set as the video renderer
- Right-click the MadVR tray icon and select 'Edit madVR Settings...'
- Expand your display device under the devices node
- Select 'calibration' menu
- Select 'calibrate this display by using an external 3DLUT file'
- Check 'disable GPU gamma ramps'
- For the BT.709 field, click the browse icon and select the 3DLUT.3dlut file generated
- Updated workflow with new configuration options and screenshots for DispcalGUI 220.127.116.11.2014-04-21
- Updated software install links to latest versions. Removed links to test versions.2013-12-09
- Updated testchart screenshot with settings for Neutral axis and Dark region emphasis suggested by Graeme.2013-12-08
- Updated workflow with ArgyllCMS tools update, DispcalGUI snapshot update, and madVR test build. Added new DispcalGUI testchart screenshot to incorporate new neutral and dark areas emphasis for targen.exe.2013-11-10
- Updated workflow using DispcalGUI 18.104.22.16813-08-28
- MadVR TPG only supports 32-bit of ArgyllCMS.2013-08-22
- Added videoLUT calibration (step 5) to increase quality of resulting 3DLUT.2013-07-29
- Updated skip meter placement confirmation for dispread.exe in step 6. From -Yn to -Yp. Graeme changed the parameter is the latest beta binaries.2013-07-18
- Updated dispread.exe command to use MadVR Test Pattern Generator. -E parameter is no longer needed provided the level settings in MadVR are set correctly for your output device. Increased OFPS patterns to 2000 to increase 3DLUT accuracy.2013-07-01
- Graeme updated the latest beta binaries. There were scenarios with dispcal.exe using TV levels by default even without the use of the '-E' parameter.2013-06-18
- Replaced workflow with commands for ArgyllCMS tools only. Removed the use of DispcalGUI.2013-05-20
- Elevated black point still exists for some displays/configurations, therefore, Black Point Compensation option should be enabled in DispcalGUI. (step B10)2013-05-14
- ArgyllCMS beta binaries updated. Graeme fixed an issue with DispcalGUI stalling when acquiring display refresh time with i1D3.2013-05-11
- ArgyllCMS beta binaries updated. Graeme fixed issue with elevated black point, therefore, Black Point Compensation option is no longer needed in DispcalGUI. (step B10)2013-05-10
- Updated collink.exe commandline to accommodate changes made by Graeme to gamma options. To update ArgyllCMS components, please download and extract again ArgyllCMS update for MadVR 3DLUT creation
. (Changed steps C1, C4, C5)