CMD HD (Calibration Management Disc) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsyp View Post

Awesome, thanks mate.

I've been using Pro 1 and 2 modes, in various states of calibration, for about a year and a half and I find the luminance level just high enough when I close all the curtains in the room or if it's not such a bright day outside. With your comments in mind, I may give THX mode a try. Just got to nail the calibration now so it doesn't take 4 hours to get anywhere. I've picked up on your comments in other threads re ABL triggering and how important a consistent image on screen is, between measurments. Hopefully that will help me out. I also use ControlCAL which has helped since first trying it.

Cheers,

Paul

No worries mate - i calibrated the THX mode within the service menu - GS only tho - to be honest the colours arent that far out anyway - gives great picture.
Also you can change your pro 1 and 2 modes to ISF day and night by changing your PIN code to i196 smile.gif

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 53 Old 05-11-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny41 View Post

select write/folders to disc make sure AVCHDTN, BDMV,CERTIFICATE are selected as source files and udf selected as file system although imageburn will advised and correct this if you wish

Hi Vinny

Thanks for that - should have included these instructions within the release notes - for some reason copmpletely slipped my mind.

Cheers
Neil

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #33 of 53 Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny41 View Post

for the general settings section brightness, contrast and colour is there any guides available as to what you should be looking for with these patterns thanks

Havent had the time the last few days to write a guide up but will knock something up shortly.

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #34 of 53 Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

For dynamic range and grayscale, it is NOT essential to have them run in the order that Calman dictates. The CMS and gamma sequences do however start with 100% as this is essential in achieving the required target. All the patterns are there for you to use - im sure youre capable of using next or previous chapter if you really wanted to follow those particular two sequences as Calman dictates as opposed to selecting your own sequence.
Feel free to use the disc or not, perhaps you could spend your own time making your own if you have a few weeks spare.

Cheers
Neil

first of all, my comment was not intended to be rude... just stating that the sequence was a bit off for the way CM4/5 operates by default (and I'm not aware of how to alter that operation if it is possible at all)... and just providing feedback that could be useful for a future revision

anyhow, how would I select my own sequence? when I press read series, 100%/109% is always the first pattern requested

another thing is I would just use the pop-up menu to select 100% or 109% and then use it again to go to 0%/10%/20% (depending on whether I'm doing 11, 10, or 9 pt grayscale), but the pop-up menu doesn't let me do that... the only way for me to use the disc right now is to skip chapters repeatedly to the last one (100% or 109% white) and then repeat the same in reverse to get to 0%


so, my question is how would I select my own sequence because I've always thought that part of the software is fixed and always starts with 100% for grayscale and 109% for dynamic range?
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #35 of 53 Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

first of all, my comment was not intended to be rude... just stating that the sequence was a bit off for the way CM4/5 operates by default (and I'm not aware of how to alter that operation if it is possible at all)... and just providing feedback that could be useful for a future revision

anyhow, how would I select my own sequence? when I press read series, 100%/109% is always the first pattern requested

another thing is I would just use the pop-up menu to select 100% or 109% and then use it again to go to 0%/10%/20% (depending on whether I'm doing 11, 10, or 9 pt grayscale), but the pop-up menu doesn't let me do that... the only way for me to use the disc right now is to skip chapters repeatedly to the last one (100% or 109% white) and then repeat the same in reverse to get to 0%


so, my question is how would I select my own sequence because I've always thought that part of the software is fixed and always starts with 100% for grayscale and 109% for dynamic range?

No worries!

If you want to start at 100% for grayscale, you can use the gamma checker sequences.
Alternatively you can select within Calman the measurement you want to take - you dont have to follow the read series sequence. For example in dynamic range my first pattern is 90% on the disc, therefore select the 90% icon within Calman (at the bottom of the screen) press play and voila!

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #36 of 53 Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

No worries!

If you want to start at 100% for grayscale, you can use the gamma checker sequences.
Alternatively you can select within Calman the measurement you want to take - you dont have to follow the read series sequence. For example in dynamic range my first pattern is 90% on the disc, therefore select the 90% icon within Calman (at the bottom of the screen) press play and voila!

are the gamma checker sequences 100%, 0%, 10% and up OR 100%, 90%, 80% and down?
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #37 of 53 Old 05-12-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

are the gamma checker sequences 100%, 0%, 10% and up OR 100%, 90%, 80% and down?

Gamma Checker is 100, 0, 10 etc etc etc

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #38 of 53 Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

Gamma Checker is 100, 0, 10 etc etc etc

ok, that solves my issue then
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #39 of 53 Old 05-19-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Using this disc, I was able to evaluate all areas of grayscale/gamut performance for my Samsung EH6030. I'm quite pleased how this model performs given that it lacks stuff like 10-pt grayscale and CMS controls.









PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #40 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Wanted to give this thread a bump. I finally got around to burning the disk and taking a look at it, VERY Very NICE!
Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together for every one!
airscapes is online now  
post #41 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Wanted to give this thread a bump. I finally got around to burning the disk and taking a look at it, VERY Very NICE!
Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together for every one!

No worries glad you enjoyed!

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #42 of 53 Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Member
 
youngsyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Would be great to change the picture mode labels but unfortunately I need to retain the factory PIN to use ControlCAL.
Out of interest, what patterns are you using to calibrate the CMS? Ive used 75% luminance/ 100% saturation but red appears a bit too saturated with real life viewing. I wonder if using less saturated patterns would give better results.
Any advice would be welcome. Keep up the good work.

Paul
youngsyp is offline  
post #43 of 53 Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsyp View Post

Hi,

Would be great to change the picture mode labels but unfortunately I need to retain the factory PIN to use ControlCAL.
Out of interest, what patterns are you using to calibrate the CMS? Ive used 75% luminance/ 100% saturation but red appears a bit too saturated with real life viewing. I wonder if using less saturated patterns would give better results.
Any advice would be welcome. Keep up the good work.

Paul

Hi Paul

You have a UK VT30 right?
Personally i use the 20% saturation pattern sequences to calibrate the primary and secondary colours as opposed to using the CMS pattern options.
Have you tried this approach? Try it and post your graph.
Can you also post your tv settings where the over saturation is occurring?

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #44 of 53 Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Member
 
youngsyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

Hi Paul

You have a UK VT30 right?
Personally i use the 20% saturation pattern sequences to calibrate the primary and secondary colours as opposed to using the CMS pattern options.
Have you tried this approach? Try it and post your graph.
Can you also post your tv settings where the over saturation is occurring?
Hi,

Yes that's right, it's a UK 55VT30.

CMS settings are:

Capture.JPG 70k .JPG file

This is the report for W/B:

WB_260513111.jpg 87k .jpg file

And this for gamut:

Gamut_26051311.jpg 69k .jpg file

I compromised with the CMS calibration to strike a balance between 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% saturation.

These were the results when using Mascior's disc, simply because his was published for use with ChromaPure.

I'll have a go with your 20% saturation patterns, along with using your disc to calibrate W/B at the weekend. I'm assuming you look for a compromise with the CMS calibration? As there's clearly only one set of adjustments to make the colour's 'fit' over all those saturation levels...

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gamut_26051311.jpg (68.7 KB, 21 views)
youngsyp is offline  
post #45 of 53 Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsyp View Post

Hi,

Yes that's right, it's a UK 55VT30.

CMS settings are:

Capture.JPG 70k .JPG file

This is the report for W/B:

WB_260513111.jpg 87k .jpg file

And this for gamut:

Gamut_26051311.jpg 69k .jpg file

I compromised with the CMS calibration to strike a balance between 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% saturation.

These were the results when using Mascior's disc, simply because his was published for use with ChromaPure.

I'll have a go with your 20% saturation patterns, along with using your disc to calibrate W/B at the weekend. I'm assuming you look for a compromise with the CMS calibration? As there's clearly only one set of adjustments to make the colour's 'fit' over all those saturation levels...

Paul

Hi Paul

Will need more info.
What meter are you using and is it profiled from a spectro?
What gamma, WB, colour, 10pt gamma and brightness settings are you using?
Will need to see that saturation graph to see the various readings.
I cannot say ive had any issues with over saturation on my VT30.

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #46 of 53 Old 05-31-2013, 02:41 AM
Member
 
youngsyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

Hi Paul

Will need more info.
What meter are you using and is it profiled from a spectro?
What gamma, WB, colour, 10pt gamma and brightness settings are you using?
Will need to see that saturation graph to see the various readings.
I cannot say ive had any issues with over saturation on my VT30.
Hi,

I'm using an i1 Display 3 Pro so it's been profiled against a spectro.
I'm using 2.2 as the gamma setting and have not touched the 10pt gamma adjustments.
Contrast is 60 and brightness 30, colour is 30 too. Can't give details of W/B as don't have that to hand. Will post it up this evening though. The same applies to the saturation chart. The CMS report above was derived using 75% stimulus patterns. And I used 5% APL patterns for the entire calibration.

Looking at the chart, red is actually under saturated a smidge at each level.To give you an idea of what I'm seeing, essentially red looks too intense, more like neon red, with real content.

EDIT: Added saturation chart and W/B settings:

Gamut_26051311.pdf 3156k .pdf file
WB settings_260513111.jpg 69k .jpg file

2 point W/B has a 1 point increase in red drive/ gain only.

Cheers,

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WB settings_260513111.jpg (69.2 KB, 16 views)
youngsyp is offline  
post #47 of 53 Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 AM
Member
 
alfamelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hy
in Calman 5 Enthusiast the Standard is Constant APL 18 ( default )
i never find this on Your CalDisk

Best Regards
alfamelo is offline  
post #48 of 53 Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Make73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

AVCHD Version - works with PS3, Panasonic Blu Ray Players
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0t1r8mlvq5hm00/CMD%20HD%20AVCHD.zip?m

Unzip and burn image with imgburn to a standard DVD

There´s no image file in that .zip or is there?
Make73 is offline  
post #49 of 53 Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Member
 
nw06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

CMS - 25, 50, 75, 100
Colour Luminance - Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, White
20% Saturation steps for all primary and secondary colours

First off, thanks for the great disk!
I just have a question on the CMS patterns. What luminance are they, assuming 25-100 steps are referring to saturation numbers? 75% or 100%
nw06 is offline  
post #50 of 53 Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw06 View Post

First off, thanks for the great disk!
I just have a question on the CMS patterns. What luminance are they, assuming 25-100 steps are referring to saturation numbers? 75% or 100%

Apologies for the very late reply.

The CMS sequences are based on colour luminance (brightness) and are based upon percentages.
For example 25% red will be 71,16,16, 50% red will be 126, 16,16, etc etc.

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #51 of 53 Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 AM
Member
 
AV-Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

Note the disc has been designed to work with the enthusiast workflows in Calman 5 PRIOR to the latest beta release version 5.1.1 HT build 1188.

Will you update your disc for the current Calman 5 version?
AV-Freak is offline  
post #52 of 53 Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-Freak View Post

Will you update your disc for the current Calman 5 version?

I would love to if I had the time and the energy.
Unfortunately being a married man with a family and a new job means that my time I can spend on big projects is somewhat limited. If I was to update my disk it would take me months, by that time Calman will no doubt have been updated again and again! I am however happy to pass the challenge onto another who

a) knows what they're doing in encore (cos I don't)
b) know how to use photoshop and can add additions to the disk
c) has the time to work on a new release!

I'm more than happy to hand over the project and all my patterns, so if this interests you or anyone else for that matter, please drop me a line.

Cheers
Neil

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #53 of 53 Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I just wanted to confirm the following since I've been using this disc in the calibrations of my Samsung F5300 PDP:

Do the 20% sat sweeps use 75% stim/amplitude/brightness and should the sat targets use constant luminance remain unchecked in CM?
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off