Beginner's questions about i1 Display Pro and AE8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks

I'm the proud new owner of the Panasonic AE8000, and it's my fourth projector. However, it's the first one I've bothered to calibrate. Don't hate me - I didn't realise what a difference it could make! I first used the Disney WoW disk, and was less than impressed. Then I found this wonderful guide (http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457) and purchased a new i1 Display Pro and Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics Blu-ray Disk.

I ran the basic grey scale tests from the guide, and found the image looked much while watching movies, much better than at default. However, it was also much darker, and I believe it's because the guide states that I should aim for a brightness of between 12 and 16 ftL, which is well below what my projector is capable of. I've got a few questions about this:

1.) Is the optimum ftL value for modern projectors still 12-16ftL, as I know this guide was written many years ago? If not, what should I aim for? Note that I'm in a perfectly dark, small home theatre, with a screen with a gain of about 0.9
2.) How do I run the grey scale calibration in 3D mode - can I stick the glasses to the front of the Display Pro? I watched my first 3D movie last night, and had to use the Dynamic mode on the projector to make it bright enough. It looked great, but I'm sure it'll look even better when calibrated.
3.) Are there any other excellent guides around that will help me calibrate my projector further? Like I said, I've only done the greyscale calibration based on that guide, but I know the AE8000 has a raft of other options for tweaking the image. I'd like to see what they do!

Thanks for your help - who'd have thought calibrating could be such an enjoyable pastime eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

If you want some real training and understanding, you can consider the video calibration training series that runs about 7 hours now.

Watch Scott's interview with Ray and myself here. Then you can go to the secrets of home theater site for the link to purchase the video series if you choose for 1/3 off the normal price of $150.

Or you can just go to the TLVEXP.com site and pay the full price for it. or not.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 9 Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the course info but I'd rather stick with the basics for now - anybody know about my ftl query?
post #4 of 9 Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

The video series is for basics (fundamentals of calibration) ... and maybe you should read some of the many free articles on the site too ... as they also address your question. There is one on contrast ...

And if you think you know what you are doing, then please go take the Calibration Quiz on the site. It should be fun.

Regards

post #5 of 9 Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip - your second video on contrast mentioned 35 to 40 ftL, which sounds much more reasonable given my projector's abilities. Regarding your course, I only own the i1 Display Pro and Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics Blu-ray Disk. Is that enough to see me through the course, or will I need to buy even more gear?
post #6 of 9 Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Here is the link to the Free AVS 709 pattern disk
http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration/0_100
On that first page is a link to the Disk manual. Download that and give it a read it should have a lot of answers to questions you have not thought of yet.
Targeted fl for front projection is still 12-16 but it still personal preference.. My small HP 2.8 gain screen hits 22fl and I use some low bias lighting to eliminate eye strain and spilled drinks in total darkness wink.gif Welcome to the hobby!
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

With regard to the video series ... I purposely chose to use a d3/c6 probe in it for the sake of speed and because it is fine for fundamental learning. Same deal with the AVSHD disc given its free nature. So the thinking was that anyone that wanted to subscribe would have at least some entry level probe and some software to use with it. I made the requirement of having to buy yet another test disc a non-issue by going the AVSHD route.

The videos focus on concepts ... and are not a how to use calman or chromapure program. I may use calman in some of the videos, but I use a workflow that most people won't have access to ... which stresses the nature of learning fundamentals and not trying to simply parrot what I am doing.

The series is aimed at foundation building ... to make sure people understand the core stuff. That's Parts 1 to 13 ... and then I start moving into more complex calibration items ... or tech specific ... like how to set up to cal a front projector. No additional gear is needed. In fact, even people without gear aside from a test disc will find 2/3 of the videos very useful since they are on the non-gear related parts of calibration.

One of the enthusiast viewers actually told me that he learned more from the video series than spending a year on the net reading/searching for articles and lurking in forums. smile.gif A nice thing to say.

Contrast on projectors ... 14-16 is the guideline ... but it is a guideline only. The guideline also is based on a number of other assumptions that most don't understand or know of. Such as a black room ... a certain field of view ... limitations of projector lamps ... and so forth. And like the 35 fL number ... which really can be anything a person wants it to be ... ditto for the projector. If your eyes can handle 20 fL ... use it. If you can handle 25 fL ... go ahead. You are not wrong.

Regards

post #8 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Apologies for the delay in my reply, crazy week at work. I just wanted to thank you all for helping out with my question, and guiding me towards a deeper understanding of the art of calibration. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute assistance to another noobie with a calibrator.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

One of the enthusiast viewers actually told me that he learned more from the video series than spending a year on the net reading/searching for articles

Agreed! The videos are terrific for the beginner. Gave me a good jump start versus sifting thru the net.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page