Is Professional Calibration Worth The Cost & Effort - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Is a professionally calibrated TV worth the price ?
Yes 7 70.00%
No 1 10.00%
Will last life of tv. 0 0%
Will not last life of tv. 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Guy`s ,

Title says it all.

However more info from me will help !

TV :

Samsung UN46F8000

Have been quoted a price , however nothing as been finalized yet.

Thanks for your time , your answers are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

The answer to your poll and question lies here ... in this article ... and then a whole bunch of the other articles on the site as well from what it is about ... to how to find a good calibrator to more.

The question you asked is a lot like asking if someone has used a lawyer before ... or a doctor. But it leaves out the good lawyer ... or crappy lawyer part. Ditto for doctors. That stuff kinda matters. You think. smile.gif

A person who gets a calibration from a bad calibrator isn't going to have anything nice to say.

And if you get an incomplete job? What then? Not like you know more that the calibrator guy ... since you don't know what you don't know.

I've had clients describe good calibration work by a best buy guy ... until I start to point out a whole list of things missed or simply done wrong ... and that same opinion evolves from good work/good value to anger.

So you get two opinions from the same guy ... who to believe? Not like he is filling you in on the context ...

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Michael ,

Thank you for taking the time to answer to my post and linking me to your site.

I did read the article you wrote and thought that it was very insightful and I can tell by what you wrote that you are indeed a person whom has a great knowledge of not only tv`s.

It was a very interesting read smile.gif

I must admit , I came from reading it , with not more information , however a sense of knowing that what is important is not always important..

I completely comprehend what you have written and what you are stating.

In my case a tv is far more than a tv. I use my tv for a computer display , for normal tv viewing , for watching movies and so on. The future may very well include gaming as well.

My UN46F8000 is not a BMW , at least not in my eyes , it is however an integral part of my day to day living enjoyment.

One would suppose that I just answered my own question , well I guess the question was answered to a certain degree before I asked , but I do value an alternate opinion , from time to time !

Anyway , getting back to my F8000 , here is whats going on:

I have Comcast cable tv , and an RNG-150HD cable box , it has a "CUE" , it was not very noticeable with my previous tv ( Sony / KDL-40XBR2 ) , but it seems that the Samsung is a bit more sensitive.

I can very easily dial in , lets say , the Weather channel. The colors are great and the contrast and tint ratios are perfect at least to me.

However , when I tune to another channel , then I find myself readjusting the settings.

I never had to do that with my Sony.

I receive a few channels "in-the-clear" , and those channels are far more stable , than the same ones used with the cable box.

I have chased CUE`s in the past and it is never a fun thing , so I guess if someone can take the F8000 from being a pain to being a thing of enjoyment , then sure , calibration would be worth it.

My main problem is once the calibrator as worked around the cue and most of my cable box channels are stable , how long will it last ?

For example , we both know that tube tv`s are like a light bulb that will loss there brightness over time , and thus making a one time great calibration fail.
My dad had a tube replaced in an old 32" Sony and after the replacement was installed it was calibrated by computer hookup only , no optical comparator was used.
That tv has long since lost the good picture it was had , due to the dimming of the tube with age.

CCFL / LCD tv`s I can see that a similar thing would happen.

Now I beg the question , are LED / LCD tv`s longevity good enough to last the life of the tv ?

In other words , LED`s in general can last for years for even decades , however IC`s / Resistors, Capacitors and the like are much more likely to fail first before an LED burns out.

If that statement is true , then I can easily see where a calibration should bring many years of near perfect viewing enjoyment.

However there are so many variables involved , that no one can predict the length of time a tv or even a calibration will last , any more than a length of string.

Thank you sir for your help and guidance , for now I do believe that my question is indeed answered , to a certain degree.

Take care smile.gif

Gary 
post #4 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Yes, the title says it all. We live in the age of vague. Precision, specificity, and clarity are virtues in tragically short supply in our modern culture. Such virtues are at the core of what display calibration is all about. The linked article Micheal supplied is a masterful treatise on this subject. His site is a treasure trove of wisdom and practical instruction. Highly recommended!

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #5 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 174
If you honestly care about the calibration of your TV, you've left out the obvious 3rd option.

Calibrate it yourself. If you really care, learn what you need to learn and do it yourself. After learning a bit about what it takes to calibrate, you'll be able to make the decision about what is worth what to you.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #6 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I've made the decision next time around buying a TV, I'll opt for a cheaper set and pay for a good calibration. Chad B did my plasma a couple of years back and the results took the display from poor to stunning. He put in 5 hours of hard work and it was worth every penny.

As for doing it yourself, it's possible, but difficult. There is so much to learn. Recently I bought a decent used meter and using HCFR worked on one of my Sammy LCD displays. The bulk of the controls you need are in the user menu and I did get quite good results, but not knowing all the in's and out's I know it could be better. My checkbook can't afford Chad for all my displays, but when I upgrade my main display I will contact him.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I've made the decision next time around buying a TV, I'll opt for a cheaper set and pay for a good calibration. ....

Having seen the $4999 UltraHD Sony at Best Buy yesterday... I've made the decision that next time around buying a TV, I'll opt for 4K.

(Then,... I'll calibrate it... Because I do my own calibrations.)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-18-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

If you honestly care about the calibration of your TV, you've left out the obvious 3rd option.

Calibrate it yourself. If you really care, learn what you need to learn and do it yourself. After learning a bit about what it takes to calibrate, you'll be able to make the decision about what is worth what to you.

imo, the 3rd option is the best. And that would be doing a 3D Cube LUT type of calibration/profiling.There are very few "pro's" that can do this type of calibration/profiling, however its not that hard to do, even for a DIY'er.

ss
post #9 of 10 Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Asking a question like this in an open forum is asking for a bad result because you are going to get replies from people who do not share your perspective/experience/interest in the accuracy of home theater. Even on AVS forums there are surprisingly large numbers of people who could care less about how accurate their video display is... they only want "pop" or some other nebulous thing that leads towards less accurate video images rather than more accurate images.

Would you go on a public forum and ask questions like:

Should I buy a Porsche?

Should I get married?

Should I go see Star Trek Into Darkness?

Nobody can provide a meaningful answer for YOU based only on any of those questions or your question about calibration. The right answer FOR YOU to any of those questions depends on YOU and your desires/goals/finances/preferences. Nobody knows anything about those from the question alone. So the answers to the question will be random and un-helpful.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #10 of 10 Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
you could also buy something like a panasonic plasma which is very close to spec out of the box. Accurate greyscale and primary colors...at least, accurate enough out of the box, that tv's of yesteryear would have been happy to calibrate to the levels these tv's are at by default.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page