Samsung 'SlimFit' CRT keeps shifting from bright to dark.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-25-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Last week I picked up a samsung Slimfit 27" SDTV CRT as my secondary display for NES, SNES, VHS, Wii & DVD's thinking that this set would
do the deed, boy was i wrong...it has this extremely annoying effect where the screen keeps shifting from bright to dark, mostly sticking to dark 90% of the time....
This crushes detail, makes the picture look dim and overall harsh & unappealing. Somebody said this might be the DNIe Jr, but i went into the Service menu
and the DNIe Jr was already set to 'off'....It's almost like whenever something darker hits the screen, the entire screen dims. Sometimes it's instant,
other times there's a gradual transition. Either way i can't stand it and i was wondering if there's a way to turn this wierd effect off in the service menu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Best I can think of right now is write down all service menu settings then put it on an all black screen and find the setting that makes the screen go brighter and darker.You want the one that makes it brighter.I think it's in the main group between 46-63.There is a service manual online.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

Best I can think of right now is write down all service menu settings then put it on an all black screen and find the setting that makes the screen go brighter and darker.You want the one that makes it brighter.I think it's in the main group between 46-63.There is a service manual online.

Looks like i found the culprit! XP it's called BLE mode in the service menu. It was set to 1, and i switched it to '0'. Now the picture doesn't darken or dim anymore!....But I think i know why Samsung added this gimmickly little feature in...to cover up for the lack luster mid range LCD-like black levels. Xo the BLE dims and darkens the picture to give it more pop almost like some sort of dynamic contrast-like effect and when it's off the set shows it's true colors.lol These aren't the deep rich inky CRT blacks I'm used to, the picture especially when gaming lacks sculpt & pop. It's kind of flat, but this isn't suprising. Even if i reduce the nasty red push somehow in the service menu i still don't think i'll be happy with this set because of the grey blacks. Looks like I'll be ditching this set in favor of a free 27" Sony trinitron off of craigs list.You can't go wrong with a Sony CRT! XD
post #4 of 4 Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Had a 36Samsung tv with red push and no service menu setting would get rid of it.It took away from an otherwise good tv.Sony crts I believe are good when they're working well.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page