Setting up new x-rite i1 Display 2 and CalMan Tutorial Bundle... Help Appreciated!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently received my newly purchased i1 Display 2 colorimeter and CalMan 5 Tutorial bundle:

http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/calman-5-tutorial/i1-display-pro-w-tutorial.html

And needless to say, I have several questions in regards to set up and etc.

1st question: What's the proper method to setting up the meter onto the display? Usage of a tripod? Suction cups on the display face? Other options? I can't seem to find an adequate explanation anywhere.

2nd question: If I don't have a video generator/signal generator/etc. do I need to run the AVS HD disc on my BD player and have the meter read the patterns from there, or can I run the AVS HD disc in my laptop and run an HDMI cable from laptop to my display and use that for the readings?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I know these are novice questions, but currently I'm exactly that and I'm looking to expand my knowledge base and continue to learn. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM

I just got one this week..... ran through a couple of calibrations. You know the tutorial version simulates the meter? I think you need basic unless that's what you meant ($350 not $250) .

you didn't say your display type..... but I just hung it from the top (wire down the back to the side, and it stayed against the screen just fine. You could use a tripod.

yes play the disc on blu-ray player or ps3 onto tv u r calibrating....... is that what u r asking???
post #3 of 10 Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnh View Post

I just got one this week..... ran through a couple of calibrations. You know the tutorial version simulates the meter?

No the tutorial license supports a few meters and the tutorial workflows. You're thinking of the evaluation license, that doesn't support licenses.

As for patterns, we do have a built-in pattern generator with the product, but that requires your laptop to be accurate. Unfortunately laptops are rarely accurate, they frequently have dynamic contrast, digital color vibrance, compress levels, and do other non-trivial things to the signal. In light of that the blue-ray player is likely your best choice.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

No the tutorial license supports a few meters and the tutorial workflows. You're thinking of the evaluation license, that doesn't support licenses.

As for patterns, we do have a built-in pattern generator with the product, but that requires your laptop to be accurate. Unfortunately laptops are rarely accurate, they frequently have dynamic contrast, digital color vibrance, compress levels, and do other non-trivial things to the signal. In light of that the blue-ray player is likely your best choice.

What's the best way to position the meter on my TV for readings? If I hang it on my TV and use the weighted anchor the keep it in place, it only sits about 10-12" down the screen, and it was my understanding that you want the meter to sit in the middle of the screen? I'm calibrating a 60" PDP.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM

o yeah, i see that joel.... holy bad short term memory. Oops, thx for correction.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-09-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoli View Post

What's the best way to position the meter on my TV for readings? If I hang it on my TV and use the weighted anchor the keep it in place, it only sits about 10-12" down the screen, and it was my understanding that you want the meter to sit in the middle of the screen? I'm calibrating a 60" PDP.

You should be able to adjust it so it drapes over the top and sits low enough to read the center, the weighted anchor will slide on the cable, you may need a USB extension cord. Alternatively you could put it on a tripod and press it up against the front.

If you want to calibrate in non-contact mode, using a tripod and having the meter 3-6" back is fine, but then you'll want to calibrate in nearly absolute black.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #7 of 10 Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You should be able to adjust it so it drapes over the top and sits low enough to read the center, the weighted anchor will slide on the cable, you may need a USB extension cord. Alternatively you could put it on a tripod and press it up against the front.

If you want to calibrate in non-contact mode, using a tripod and having the meter 3-6" back is fine, but then you'll want to calibrate in nearly absolute black.

Thanks Joel! Last question, when I attempt to get readings for my CMS calibration, I get the error "error 36; the diffuser must be removed for luminance readings" even though the diffuser has been removed. Any tips on how to fix this? I know the diffuser is necessary for front projection readings and not FPs.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-09-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

There is an integrated sensor that reports the diffuser position.

try swiveling the diffuser to try and get the error to go away.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #9 of 10 Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There is an integrated sensor that reports the diffuser position.

try swiveling the diffuser to try and get the error to go away.

Thanks again Joel! I appreciate the help! This, among a myriad of other reasons, is why SpectraCal is hands down the industries best calibration software company!
post #10 of 10 Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got a chance to set up my meter and give it a go today. My first question is, why is my gamma so far off and my deltaE so high when going through my multi-point adjustment? I'm using windows (because it's a PDP) at 100% white, which is accurate for setting the multi-point gamma and RGB balance correct? When I ran through just the stand alone RGB balance I was getting just at 100 for RGB and a deltaE of under 2, so why is my multi-point so far off?
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page