GT50 calibration issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Until recently, I limited my Panasonic GT50 calibrations to the Custom picture mode through the user menus. Now I have been attempting to calibrate the THX Cinema mode via the service menu. I can calibrate Custom with ease from the service menu now, but I'd like to see what I can get out of THX Cinema. All has gone well, with one exception:

All of my gray scale measurements at about 30 IRE and lower while in the service menu are different from my measurements once I leave the service menu at the same 30 IRE level and lower. I did not seem to be having the same issue (or as great of an issue) with the higher IRE measurements. My first assumption is that this is because of the presence of the service menu itself on the screen having an effect on the readings. When I am not in the service menu I ,of course, take measurements with nothing on the screen but the test window itself. Maybe it is due to something else, I am not sure. My measurement while in the service menu at 30 IRE can look as close to perfect as I can expect (in the x: 0.312, y: 0.329 range), but then when I jump out of the service menu that same pattern will give me a reading of maybe x: 0.304 y: 0.320.

The only way I could think of to correct for this issue was to purposely give myself an incorrect result while in the service menu that I thought might give me a good result once I checked it outside of the service menu. So I'd start with adjusting with 30 and 80 IRE small windows while in the service menu until things looked terrific. I would then jump out of the service menu to to verify and do a full gray scale sweep. The 80 IRE measurements would still look solid, but 30 IRE would be out of whack. So, looking at the discrepency in 30 IRE measurements both in and out of the service menu...I'd adjust the R-CUT and B-CUT values in an attempt to compensate. I would end up with a worse reading while in the service menu (which I expected) in an attempt to get closer while measuring outside of the service menu. I am not sure if I am explaining this in a way that makes any sense...hopefully it does. This was not easy though because it felt like I was flying blind while making the adjustments and simply hoping for a good result.

Any suggestions for how best to do this would be very much appreciated. I have an i1D3 and have used both CalMAN 4 and HCFR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Greetings

Do it like what all the pros do ... take readings outside of the SM .. make your changes in SM ... get out ... take another readings ... rinse spit repeat as needed. It's just the way it is.

Just like how in the old days, tvs would immediately pop into dynamic mode in the SM ... care to guess why? smile.gif

Cuz TV repair people come in the day time and not at night.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Great! Thank you Michael! That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better way that I was missing. I appreciate it.

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page