Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I got myself a new projector.
I did the basic calibration, and i am still not happy with the color results, it is too green for me.

I read in the forum and called around to get a pro calibrator in my house to do the job, the price is around 400$.

I've been asking myself, can i use that money to buy what i need and do it myself?
I am a quick learner and i don't mind to learn, also i will upgrade my projector every other year or so, so this skill can come in handy.

What do you think? Should i go for it and do it myself? or am I wasting my time?

Can someone suggest something that can work with a MAC, i don't have a windows machine at all.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Which projector did you get?

Some projectors will calibrate better than others and some don't have sufficient calibration capabilities... you'll have to consider that when you decide whether you want to invest in equipment or a professional calibration.

I would suggest posting this in the "owners" thread for the projector brand/model that you own to see if you can get some more specific help. But be prepared for more questions... you haven't said anything about your room or setup which will play a part in getting you to the right solution. Read though some of the threads threads and you'll get an idea of what information you need to be providing if you want the highest number of people to jump in and help.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank for responding.

I own the DLA-RS45U.

I am also thinking of replacing it with the 4810 by the end of this year. (maybe)
post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Greetings

And your options are :

Read This Article ...

Which breaks down as follows:

Use a disc ... that's it.

Next ... Learn to do it yourself ... buy your own gear and software and spend 100's of hours scounging for information on how to do it right.

Or ... Hire a professional and hope he has the right gear and experience to do what is needed.

Or ... learn to do it yourself ... buy your own gear and software ... and pay for calibration training to jump start the learning.

The DIY only route is cheap ... but assumes you have little value for your time ... and things get done ... eventually ...

DIY with pro training ... costs about the same as a professional calibration if not a bit more, but you have the knowledge to keep doing it from then on ... teaching a person to fish.

Pro calibration is $400 ish as you found out ... and then more money next year ... and the year after ... since projectors drift over time.

A lot of this just breaks down into you figuring out what is the cost of your time worth to you? If it is worth more than taking the time and money to learn to do it yourself, then you hire a professional.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page