3D Calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I made an attempt to calibrate my ST60 last weekend & ended up with a decent graph. However, it ran later than anticipated & I didn't really have time to do checks & demo's. So, this weekend I plan on wrapping everything up. I have a few questions before I start on my endeavour this weekend.
I'll be using an I1 Display Pro. I have it profiled against my I1 Pro. Now this profile was created in 2D mode, should I create a 3D profile or will the 2D profile be ok?
What is the lowest stimulus pattern I should attempt to adjust? In 2D, the Display will handle just about anything you throw at it. However I'm not sure if in 3D it will go all the way down to 10% stimulus.
I'll probably use a larger window pattern in 3D(to accommodate the meter being a little further offset from the screen & allow more coverage). I'll probably use the AVS patterns for 3D, while I prefer 5% patterns for 2D. What are yalls thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Greetings

It is not so much the pattern ... as the display device. A 10% pattern on a plasma set is usually way brighter than said pattern on a projector.

Read this article on 3D if you haven't already.

Profiling should work based on the glasses being attached to the i1 pro. As long as the profile works. It fails every so often.

REgards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank You for the reply. I've read most of the articles you have published Michael. In fact had just finished reading over it before I posted this topic. Thank you for all your publishings. As I understand it, you are saying to create a profile with the glasses attached. I know you've seen quite a few ST60's here lately, so maybe you can answer another question I have. When setting brightness using the typical ramp found on AVS709 & similar disk, the flashing up to about 18 flash, with 17 having just a hint of red pixel flashing. running the brightness up doesn't introduce any more stimulus in the 17 pattern, but in turn, then makes the 16 stimulus flash a slight red(once you reach about a +3). To deal with this I lowered the low red gain by one, but doing this causes me to have to run brightness up to about +6. What this does is remove the red tinge out of the flashing 17 & now it's more along the lines of gray. I took a measurement using a 0% stimulus & it maintained a black reading of .001. So driving the brightness up doesn't increase the black level. I don't see anyone else with settings that reflect my observation on my set, so I'm a little curious if I'm making the correct unprofessional decision. Thanks
post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Greetings

What do you see from your seating position? Not 4 inches from the tv. If you can't see it from the seating position, then it doesn't matter. If you can ... and it makes a space movie have red space (?) ... then you have to fix it and sacrifice something else to get it. Make it more blue (The stuff in the 18-19-20-21 range) to fix the red. It comes down to the human eyes and our ability to see blue errors versus red errors.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Thank You for the reply. I've read most of the articles you have published Michael. In fact had just finished reading over it before I posted this topic. Thank you for all your publishings. As I understand it, you are saying to create a profile with the glasses attached. I know you've seen quite a few ST60's here lately, so maybe you can answer another question I have. When setting brightness using the typical ramp found on AVS709 & similar disk, the flashing up to about 18 flash, with 17 having just a hint of red pixel flashing. running the brightness up doesn't introduce any more stimulus in the 17 pattern, but in turn, then makes the 16 stimulus flash a slight red(once you reach about a +3). To deal with this I lowered the low red gain by one, but doing this causes me to have to run brightness up to about +6. What this does is remove the red tinge out of the flashing 17 & now it's more along the lines of gray. I took a measurement using a 0% stimulus & it maintained a black reading of .001. So driving the brightness up doesn't increase the black level. I don't see anyone else with settings that reflect my observation on my set, so I'm a little curious if I'm making the correct unprofessional decision. Thanks

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm planning to calibrate my ST60 with a Colormunki Display soon, with HCFR. Has anyone here profiled this meter to this TV? Anyone willing to share a correction matrix? I don't have access to a spectro, so can't do this myself.

Any other advice calibrating this TV?

Thanks,
-Patrick
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page