Calibrating Panasonic ST60, OSD causing issues ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all.

So I'm very (VERY) new to the calibration world.
I recently purchased a 60" Panasonic ST60 (AU version), as well as Calman 5. I already had an Xrite i1 Display Pro, that I use for my PC monitors.

Anyway, I mounted the xrite on my tripod, and got it as close to the screen as possible.
I've been going through the workflow, and usually set the read mode to continuous, so I may adjust my levels. That seemed to work fine.

After all my settings were dialled in, the final step was to take final measurements (using individual readings). These measurements, though, were different to the ones that I was getting while doing the actual calibrations. What I realised, is that the OSD at the bottom of my plasma was interfering with the actual reading, so I actually went back to redo the calibration, but rather than do a continuous read, I set my levels to what I thought they should be, turn off all the OSD, and then took a reading (very time consuming).

I am using the windowed images (from the latest AVSHD disk), but the OSD definitely was interfering. Do others have this problem, or is it me being a rookie ?
It is a tad ironic that the OSD that allows me to adjust the levels interferes with the results ...

FWIW, I did get a pretty accurate calibration (eventually), with a gamma of 2.2 (and delta of 0.3).

Maybe I'll put the report up if anyone's interested ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is pretty typical. Some TVs menu interfere, and others don't. Best practice is to always check reading with and without the menu before adjusting.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You could also try placing the iD3 right on the display to calibrate.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post

Hey all.

So I'm very (VERY) new to the calibration world.
I recently purchased a 60" Panasonic ST60 (AU version), as well as Calman 5. I already had an Xrite i1 Display Pro, that I use for my PC monitors.

Anyway, I mounted the xrite on my tripod, and got it as close to the screen as possible.
I've been going through the workflow, and usually set the read mode to continuous, so I may adjust my levels. That seemed to work fine.

After all my settings were dialled in, the final step was to take final measurements (using individual readings). These measurements, though, were different to the ones that I was getting while doing the actual calibrations. What I realised, is that the OSD at the bottom of my plasma was interfering with the actual reading, so I actually went back to redo the calibration, but rather than do a continuous read, I set my levels to what I thought they should be, turn off all the OSD, and then took a reading (very time consuming).

I am using the windowed images (from the latest AVSHD disk), but the OSD definitely was interfering. Do others have this problem, or is it me being a rookie ?
It is a tad ironic that the OSD that allows me to adjust the levels interferes with the results ...

FWIW, I did get a pretty accurate calibration (eventually), with a gamma of 2.2 (and delta of 0.3).

Maybe I'll put the report up if anyone's interested ?

This is typical of Panasonic. It has gotten better. You should try calibrating in the service menu. Not fun. Anyhow, calibrate in continuous mode while the menu is active at any given stimulus(I usually do this at 70) & then exit out of the menu while the meter is still reading. Now tweak your settings to reach your desired target by going in & making a few adjustments until you have your rgb balanced with the menu off. Now that you have reached your target go back into the menu & see where the readings are, mine were usually about -2 below. Now you know when setting all your targets, to kinda aim for -2 while the menu is active. That away when you exit the menu you will be close to ideal. Now there is also another issue on the Pannys. As the image sits on the screen it seems like the APL will start to ramp up a little after about 1 minute. So your settings will change. Try to make you adjustments on any given window in under 45 seconds.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice !

... dialing in settings within 45 seconds ?
At the moment I'm juggling two remotes, and jumping back and forth between gamma and white balance ...
I'm happy if i've got my settings dialled in within 2-3 minutes !

(I think I'm getting better though !)
post #6 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Liked: 19
Try the slides I posted here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476876/panasonic-plasma-test-slides

I posted these for another issue with ST60 panels but they can show other issues too.
You will see how much APL (average picture level) and why the on screen menu's change the grayscale.

Also look here for how window size and APL effect things.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446386/abl-effects-measured-for-comparison/120#post_23369219

with the slides I posted and using the up arrow you can rotate the image.
You will easily see the grayscale shift on some patterns since the APL changes when you rotate.

Best thing is to make a measurement with menu off and just go in to adjust the setting and re-measure once you are out of the menu.

Todd
post #7 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post

Hey all.

...snip...

If you're talking/writing about the Panasonic generated OSD, then you need to take a look at getting controlcal. It's a $50 app that'll keep your sanity when trying to calibrate a display with OSDs that get in the way. Turbe is a great guy to work with.

http://www.controlcal.com/

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

If you're talking/writing about the Panasonic generated OSD, then you need to take a look at getting controlcal. It's a $50 app that'll keep your sanity when trying to calibrate a display with OSDs that get in the way. Turbe is a great guy to work with.

http://www.controlcal.com/
Does controlcal work with the ST models? (Which is what the OP has)
post #9 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohnny View Post

Don't know. That would have to be asked of Turbe.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 149
Quote:

I don't believe so since it needs to attach to the Serial/RS232 interface on the TV. To my knowledge only the higher-end Panny's have this interface such as the VT and now ZT series.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #11 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

I don't believe so since it needs to attach to the Serial/RS232 interface on the TV. To my knowledge only the higher-end Panny's have this interface such as the VT and now ZT series.

Mine connects through the network connection which is Ethernet.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:

That's what I thought. So he'll have to work around the OSD.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 149
Quote:

That's what I thought. So he'll have to work around the OSD.

Well JimP says his works through the Ethernet so who knows. His set is a VT50 though, so I guess only the author of the software can definitively say if it will work on his ST60.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #14 of 15 Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Well JimP says his works through the Ethernet so who knows. His set is a VT50 though, so I guess only the author of the software can definitively say if it will work on his ST60.
It works on my VT50 as well, but I just didn't think it works with the ST models. But I agree that Turbe at controlcal forums can easily answer this.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, the ST Series does not have the necessary support in the factory firmware.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page