Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WB WARM - NORMAL status 19u49 - 19u51.pdf 2375k .pdf file
WB COOL status 19u49 - 19u55.pdf 2378k .pdf file
I'm redoing my calibration and I'd like to have an opnion as to what is the best gamut pre-set. My vote goes to normal but maybe I'm missing somthing big?

In the PDF WB WARM - NORMAL status 19u49 - 19u51 BEFORE CALIBRATION = WARM preset and AFTER CALIBRATION = NORMAL preset
In the PDF WB COOL status 19u49 - 19u55 BEFORE CALIBRATION = COOL preset

All have undersaturated blue. But WARM also has magenta undersaturated so NORMAL is the winner as COOL has the highest overall dE.

All this is tested using a Iscan DUO and a i1 display 3 with offset tables from Tom on a Panasonic PF11EK professional plasma.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WB WARM - NORMAL status 19u49 - 19u51.pdf (2.32 MB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf WB COOL status 19u49 - 19u55.pdf (2.32 MB, 7 views)

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display. -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Greetings

Gamut really has nothing to do with the selection of color temperature.

In most cases, the warm setting is closest to where correct should be ... but if it is too much on the red side, it just doesn't look right to our eyes.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 5 Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Michael,
I thought the White Balance pre-set (that would have been a better name sorry) has a certain influence on the saturation levels (so on the gamut). If you are unfortunate to pick the wrong setting, you could end up with undersaturated primaries or secondaries, which would be bad.

That having said, if you pick the wrong WB setting a second issue may arise: you may not have enough "range" to alter the R, G or B components and end up with not having enough range to get to neutral white (euh grey..). The Cool setting has waaaay to much Cyan(as you might expect) and my TV may not have enough range to counter that excess of Cyan. I'm aware of that.

This does not make the choice easier....

Warm has too much saturated green and cyan and has slightly undersaturated blue and magenta.
Normal has the same issues but does not suffer from undersaturated magenta.
Then again, warm does not have so many overbright primaries/secondaries.

Which begs the question. Do I pay more attention to the colour temperature (which will probably be less blueish with the Warm preset) or do I pay more attention to the fact that Normal has less undersaturated primaries. I only took the latter into account, and hence my choice for selecting Normal over Warm.

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display. -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer
post #4 of 5 Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bump. I want to know also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
If you are calibrating, you want to use the preset that produces the smallest adjustments of gain and offset controls since large adjustments to calibration controls can lead to contouring in fades and "smooth" areas with little variation in color.

If you are not calibrating, but just trying to pick the best settings, the best color temp preset is the one that is closest to d65 but most TVs seem to be slightly too red/yellow in the Warm mode and slightly too blue in the Standard/Neutral/Natural mode making you constantly switch back and forth between the 2 settings but never being able to be happy with either one. Which is one of the primary reasons people either learn to calibrate or hire a professional calibrator.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page