Need advice on calibrating my set - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.

Firstly, I want to apologise for my weak english - I'm trying to do my best. I need your advice in calibrating my new set. I have spent much time on it and I'm still confused. I have LG 42LM640S TV and PS3 connected to it via Denon AVR-1513. In future I want to connect my PC to receiver too. I just have played with RGB Full Range and Black Level settings and I still don't know what setting would be best. I see difference in picture quality and RGB 0-255 looks a little better for me, but it's strange for me that whichever combination of PS3 RGB Range and TV's Black Level I choose, I can distinguish blacks from 0 to 16 on calibration picture (after adjusting brightness), but for example when I play AVS HD 709 calibration movies via DLNA I can't see these regardless of brightness and PS3's video output setting (Auto, YCbCr, RGB). Now I have following settings:

PS3:
RGB Range: Full
BD/DVD Video Output: Auto

TV:
For games:
Black Level: High
Color Gamut: Standard (should I leave it as it is or change it to Extended/Expanded or BT709?)
Color Temp: Normal
Brightness and contrast adjusted that blacks 0-16 and whites 235-255 are distinguishable
Super resolution: On (for PS2 and 720p games)
Local Dimming: Low
All noise reduction and edge enhancement options: Off
TruMotion: Off

For movies:
Black Level: High
Color Gamut: BT709 (should I leave it as it is or change it to Extended/Expanded or Standard?)
Color Temp: Warm
Brightness and contrast adjusted to black 16 and white 235 (is that true that whites 235+ should be visible too?)
Super resolution: On (for SD movies)
Local Dimming: Low
Noise reduction options: Off
Edge enhancement: Min (for SD movies)
TruMotion: Smooth (I'm not enemy of 'soap opera' effect)

Are these settings good? What should I change if not? Please take in consideration that there will be PC connected to the same HDMI TV port (via AVR) so I would like to have PS3 and PC compatible settings. I think that in this case RGB Full Range is the way to go. Thanks in advance for your advices.

PS Is that true that sharpness should be set as low as possible without visible image degradation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Welcome to the forum. Comparing settings is not calibration, and is best done in the section of the forum for your type and model of TV. There is a persistent but popular myth that a display can be calibrated by using other people's settings. The only picture menu settings that work in common are general picture modes, not actual numerical values. Use the forum's search feature to find where other owners are discussing their settings.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
PS3 RGB should be Limited not full. And you need to calibrate Brightness/Contrast so that 0-16 and 235-255 are the blackest/whitest the set will do (no other bars visible above/below them) -- even on games.

You say you are trying to do PC and everything through the receiver, but the PC needs different settings than PS3/TV. Computer displays need the full 0-255, but if you have those same settings for the others, everything will look washed out and flat. If you have to have everything go through the receiver, use different picture setting presets on the TV, ie., Custom for PS3/TV and Cinema for when you use the computer. That way they can be calibrated to the proper black/white level.

And yes, turn Sharpness down. Usually you can turn it up to about 1/3 of the total without making any artifacts. Just keep all the other image enhancers off.

And I agree that you should be looking for the thread/s for your specific brand and TV for recommendations on settings, if you haven't already.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Ok ... I've added "corrections" in bold face after your initial guesses, for a typical "generic" LG display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotardon View Post

PS3:
RGB Range: Full Limited
BD/DVD Video Output: Auto Probably ok ... I leave mine on Y/Cr/Cb
I'm just going to do this once.
Quote:
For movies:
Black Level: High LOW
Color Gamut: BT709 (should I leave it as it is or change it to Extended/Expanded or Standard?) Standard
Color Temp: Warm Correct
Brightness and contrast adjusted to black 16 and white 235 (is that true that whites 235+ should be visible too?) Correct
Super resolution: On (for SD movies) ?????
Local Dimming: Low ????
Noise reduction options: Off
Edge enhancement: Min (for SD movies) Pick your poison here
TruMotion: Smooth (I'm not enemy of 'soap opera' effect) [d]ditto[/b]

PS Is that true that sharpness should be set as low as possible without visible image degradation? Depends on the Picture Mode ... It's probably "safe" to leave this at the default setting.

PS: No one here is really going to be able to give you "correct" settings for your set. The recommendations I gave above should get you on the right path, assuming that you are starting from one of the ISF-Expert modes.

PPS: *If* you are using a standard definition DVD player through a component cable, you may need to switch "Black Level" to High.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page