Do backlight strobing/scanning features like 'LED Motion Plus' affect meter profiles? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 64 Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

are there any LED/LCDs out there that have full motion resolution (identical to CRT and Plasma)
Yes. LightBoost. See above post.

And to lesser extent, Sony's new interpolation-free "Motionflow Impulse". This works great for 60fps material -- computer graphics & console games & sports motion on TV. The Sony Motionflow Impulse is a strobe backlight on Sony that outperforms scanning backlights. It comes very close too without needing to use interpolation, but it has dimness/flicker disadvantage. Do not forget to disable the ambient light sensor because it can excessively dim the image -- Motionflow Impulse becomes too dim when the ambient light sensor is enabled. Sony HDTV's in the series HX920, HX923, HX925, HX929, XBR950, W905A, W802A all now has this interpolation-free plasma-competing strobe mode, which shines during HTPC 60fps video game.

However, LightBoost is still the world's LCD motion clarity champion but is currently limited to computer usage.

Hey Mark, Today I received the 4H Ultra HD Sony 55X9005 here smile.gif

I have already performed a lot of motion resolution tests using reference 1080p Blu-Ray Disks, With Impulse Mode Enabled, the motion resolution is clearer vs any other LED/LCD I have ever seen, and it's better from LG 1080p Plasma which I did direct comparison becasue i have a media streamer here with 5 HDMI Outputs.

The negative thing I noticed is that the Impulse mode leaves one long trail, (no multiple trails) one trail at a long distance from the moving object, but the resolution of the object remain superior and very accurate at motion - no details loss. It's like you see a copy of the original image with ~20% opacity, far from the original object....the distance maybe is 3cm long from 1.5m viewing distance.

I will perform a lot of new test soon.

As for Static Resolution Performance using 1080p Patterns, it's failed to reproduce any 1-Pixel White or Black Checkboard, with various background colors, Like AVSHD Sharpness Pattern or my Disk's Advanced Sharpeness Pattern:

I believe that is an upscalling problem, but soon i will try to upscale the image from a 2160p Blu-Ray Player, bypassing the internal upscalling...

In a few days I will have the Samsung 4K Ultra HD here to do direct comparisons.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Hey Mark, Today I received the 4H Ultra HD Sony 55X9005 here smile.gif

I have already performed a lot of motion resolution tests using reference 1080p Blu-Ray Disks, With Impulse Mode Enabled, the motion resolution is clearer vs any other LED/LCD I have ever seen, and it's better from LG 1080p Plasma which I did direct comparison becasue i have a media streamer here with 5 HDMI Outputs.

The negative thing I noticed is that the Impulse mode leaves one long trail, (no multiple trails) one trail at a long distance from the moving object, but the resolution of the object remain superior and very accurate at motion - no details loss. It's like you see a copy of the original image with ~20% opacity, far from the original object....the distance maybe is 3cm long from 1.5m viewing distance.

I will perform a lot of new test soon.

As for Static Resolution Performance using 1080p Patterns, it's failed to reproduce any 1-Pixel White or Black Checkboard, with various background colors, Like AVSHD Sharpness Pattern or my Disk's Advanced Sharpeness Pattern:

I believe that is an upscalling problem, but soon i will try to upscale the image from a 2160p Blu-Ray Player, bypassing the internal upscalling...

In a few days I will have the Samsung 4K Ultra HD here to do direct comparisons.

So, are you an early adopter for 4K displays or is this more of a review/evaluation?
post #63 of 64 Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Sony UltraHD arrived to my workplace and I will have it here for months, we can't sell it, it's a display model. wink.gif

Early next month I will have the Samsung UltraHD Model also there.

For the history, I'm working to a company which is distributor here of some Hi-End Audio Companies but we have a separate place with Video Division with almost 80 different TV's, which I have access to them daily. wink.gif

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #64 of 64 Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Sony UltraHD arrived to my workplace and I will have it here for months, we can't sell it, it's a display model. wink.gif

Early next month I will have the Samsung UltraHD Model also there.

For the history, I'm working to a company which is distributor here of some Hi-End Audio Companies but we have a separate place with Video Division with almost 80 different TV's, which I have access to them daily. wink.gif

cool, that explains how you have access to such a wide range of displays... have you seen any OLED displays up close yet?
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page