Calibration noob questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have been reading threads and trying to figure out the best (or best for me) option to get setup to calibrate my projector and I feel lost.

I see Calman 5 and Chromapure listed a lot and am unsure which would be best for me. I have a JVC RS45 projector, DVDO iScan Duo and a Panny BluRay in a dedicated theater. I also have the WOW disc and have done the basic calibration. I am looking for something that has a good auto cal but would allow me to do some manual adjustments IF I ever want to.

One thing that I wonder about is IF the Duo is altering the picture now, via CMS, then how can I do the basic calibration to the projector first before attempting an auto-calibration from the programs??

So what package / software, would work best for someone who ISNT going to do calibrations for a living or for fun. I just want to recalibrate every 100 hours or so and IF possible auto calibrate for ease.

Thanks and sorry for the basic questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 167
CalMAN Control will do all of that for you. Our Home Theater products are aimed at people who have your exact goals.

I believe our competitors product also supports autocal for the duo.

With either product you'll want to get at a minimum an i1 Display Pro, as our C3 meter is not designed for use with projectors.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Thanks for the reply. I guess I am leaning towards Calman 5 Control and i1 Display Pro. I hope the learning cure isn't too hard!
post #4 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am leaning towards Calman 5 Control and i1 Display Pro. I hope the learning cure isn't too hard!

Typically this becomes a hobby with hundreds of hours spent.. just be prepared, especially if you have OCD perfection tendencies like most all of us here do.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

CalMAN Control will do all of that for you. Our Home Theater products are aimed at people who have your exact goals.

I believe our competitors product also supports autocal for the duo.

With either product you'll want to get at a minimum an i1 Display Pro, as our C3 meter is not designed for use with projectors.

I am also just about to get into more intensive DIY calibration, and have almost settled for the combination of Calman 5 Control and i1Display pro (So far my experience with calibration has only involved the discs: DVE, Disney WOW, and the Spears and Munsil--which I consider "lite" at best)... The problem is, I keep reading conflicting information concerning the benefits/disadvantages of colorimeters as opposed to spectrophotometers... In my case the toss-up would be between the i1Display pro, and the colormunki photo... The displays I am most eager to practice this calibration on are mostly plasmas (Panasonic GT25, gt30, and vt50), but I also have one LCD flatscreen and several pc and mac monitors to get to. later down the line, once I have reached a relatively satisfactory level of mastery...

From my readings, I am getting the sense that the i1Display pro would be the faster of the two options, whereas the colormunki photo is better known for color accuracy, and is less apt to drift and need color-correction in time... Is this assessment correct? I hear the munki is also better for printer profiling, which I might be interested in at some point, but not immediately... So let me ask you this: what do you think of the two options for a noobie with my profile:

1. Calman 5 control + i1Display pro or
2. Calman 5 control + Colormunki photo

I'm feeling a little embarrassed asking since I know this question has been addressed ad nauseum on various sites... However, I still need to set off on the right footing by getting the appropriate tools that will fit my immediate needs and remain relatively easy to use.... Any helpful thoughts or suggestions about these choices would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 87
You can also consider a used i1Pro Rev D (or EFI ES-1000) going rate is $250-$450... perhaps start with a i1D3 series and go on the hunt for a used i1Pro Rev D (or go with a ColorMunki Spectro).. then profile the i1d3 to the Spectro on your actual display. OR, start with the spectro and when budget allows and you want a colorimeter to profile to the Spectro, add a i1D3 series.

Why a Spectro, see why here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373556/i1-pro-or-d3-if-you-could-only-have-one-meter

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-calibration-tables-really-work-for-tri-stim-devices/

And Read these Threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449310/eye-one-pro-or-display-3-pro

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464411/what-would-you-rather-have-for-display-calibration

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

You can also consider a used i1Pro Rev D (or EFI ES-1000) going rate is $250-$450... perhaps start with a i1D3 series and go on the hunt for a used i1Pro Rev D (or go with a ColorMunki Spectro).. then profile the i1d3 to the Spectro on your actual display. OR, start with the spectro and when budget allows and you want a colorimeter to profile to the Spectro, add a i1D3 series.

Why a Spectro, see why here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373556/i1-pro-or-d3-if-you-could-only-have-one-meter

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-calibration-tables-really-work-for-tri-stim-devices/

And Read these Threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449310/eye-one-pro-or-display-3-pro

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464411/what-would-you-rather-have-for-display-calibration

Thanks Turbe, for your response and the great reads. Could you kindly let me know where I can get a used i1pro online at the prices you have specified? thanks again.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Not until you have gone through each thread and read every post in the link I gave smile.gif

You need to understand why I am recommending first, the i1Pro.. tell me why I am.. then I will give you a link a something special (IMO)... unless it sells before you reply.. tick tock..... wink.gif

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:

perhaps start with a i1D3 series and go on the hunt for a used i1Pro Rev D (or go with a ColorMunki Spectro).. then profile the i1d3 to the Spectro on your actual display. OR, start with the spectro and when budget allows and you want a colorimeter to profile to the Spectro, add a i1D3 series.

After my readings, I have concluded that these seem to be the right set of options, i.e. I am going to end up owning both an i1pro (rev D) and an i1Display Pro, although it is not clear as yet, which one I shall get first... It will probably come down to a matter of budgetary convenience, but I shall end up having them both, especially if I can find the used i1Pro at a great price, as I do not have the budget to purchase a new one as yet.

Quote:

Not until you have gone through each thread and read every post in the link I gave smile.gif

You need to understand why I am recommending first, the i1Pro.. tell me why I am.. then I will give you a link a something special (IMO)... unless it sells before you reply.. tick tock..... wink.gif

Well of the 3 options under consideration (namely, the i1D3, the colormunki photo, and the i1pro,-- and leaving out the C6 which I have not considered), the i1pro appears, from the reading, to be the most reliably and durably accurate one over the longterm... The i1D3 appears to be great for speed and reading dark scenes, but it would need to be profiled against a spectro (i1Pro) for accuracy every now and then to maintain or correct its accuracy... It is not that the i1Pro will never need recertification, but it seems to have been reliably proven to remain within specs for years, and that is enough for me. The Color munki photo would be nice as a second choice spectro, but I reckon I won't need it if I get myself an i1pro... I don't know if I have answered your question, but if you find that I have not, please specify what exactly you would like me to address, and I shall.... I read all the posts in the link you provided, and I do confess that some of the technical jargon and calibration stats went over my head, but the i1pro, although not entirely perfect, did emerge as the clear number one choice.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-20-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Great, you took the time to go through those threads / articles. smile.gif
The voice gets even louder!

I'm PM you now..

ControlCAL™

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Panasonic Viera Tc P42gt25 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page