Does an Eye One Pro meter drift? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I am an amateur hobbyist who enjoys tweaking my own displays, a Pioneer KRP-500m and some computer monitors mainly. I bought an Eye One Pro meter four months ago on ebay. I don't know its age or when it was last certified. Should I question its accuracy? I know spectrophotometers are more accurate and drift less than colorimeters, but do they drift at all?

A calibration is only as good as the equipment used to take readings, so I just want to know if I should have any reason to doubt the accuracy of the Eye One Pro?

Is there a cheap way to verify its accuracy?

Thanks.
gandro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 107
1) Define "cheap."

2) Run the i1 diagnostics.

3) Try doing a thread search on i1Pro accuracy.

(This has been thrashed out numerous times)
Rolls-Royce likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Check out this Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449310/eye-one-pro-or-display-3-pro

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #4 of 7 Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I1 pro's can hold accuracy for a long time, well beyond the recommended yearly re-cal/certification, if well looked after and kept sealed away from moisture (I keep min in a re-sealable plastic bag).

I would run the i1 diagnostics as this would report it's last calibration data, which this data is programmed into the i1 every re-certification.

Cheap but not fully accurate way to test it would be do a full calibration and look at the results using a greyscale ramp and real material, to spot any errors, if it's significantly out these tests will show up any visible errors, or try to get it checked against a known accurate sensor.

Most accurate but with a cost is have a re-cert and if there is any internal faults these will also get repaired.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post

I1 pro's can hold accuracy for a long time, well beyond the recommended yearly re-cal/certification, if well looked after and kept sealed away from moisture (I keep min in a re-sealable plastic bag).

I would run the i1 diagnostics as this would report it's last calibration data, which this data is programmed into the i1 every re-certification.

Cheap but not fully accurate way to test it would be do a full calibration and look at the results using a greyscale ramp and real material, to spot any errors, if it's significantly out these tests will show up any visible errors, or try to get it checked against a known accurate sensor.

Most accurate but with a cost is have a re-cert and if there is any internal faults these will also get repaired.

I keep it in the case that I got it in, which zips up and holds it in place. The problem is I don't know how the previous owner kept it but I assume it was the same way.

I think I did run an i1 diagnostics test at one point on the Eye One Pro but I will do it again. I believe it said that it was last certified in 2007. That seems like a long time. Would that give any indication of whether or not it would still be accurate? I believe turbe has said that he has never seen an Eye One Pro that was out of spec but I don't know if those personal anecdotes are reflective of the experience of other people. Probably most people recertify it more frequently than six years apart.

I think recertification is rather expensive. I also don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for an unnecessary recertification process, nor do I have a known accurate meter to test it against. I don't have the personal experience to judge the accuracy of an image just by looking at it, but I think I can say that my display looks pretty good after grayscale calibration with an Eye One Pro.

If Turbe and others think that I shouldn't have to worry about my meter given that it was acquired second hand (though from a reputable seller) and was last certified in 2007, then I will be happy and not worry about it.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 107
FWIW:

For a *new* i1pro Rev. D, X-rite recommended re-certification @ 18 months after the manufacture date ... I can't say if that interval holds for subsequent re-checks.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post

I keep it in the case that I got it in, which zips up and holds it in place. The problem is I don't know how the previous owner kept it but I assume it was the same way.

I think I did run an i1 diagnostics test at one point on the Eye One Pro but I will do it again. I believe it said that it was last certified in 2007. That seems like a long time. Would that give any indication of whether or not it would still be accurate? I believe turbe has said that he has never seen an Eye One Pro that was out of spec but I don't know if those personal anecdotes are reflective of the experience of other people. Probably most people recertify it more frequently than six years apart.

I think recertification is rather expensive. I also don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for an unnecessary recertification process, nor do I have a known accurate meter to test it against. I don't have the personal experience to judge the accuracy of an image just by looking at it, but I think I can say that my display looks pretty good after grayscale calibration with an Eye One Pro.

If Turbe and others think that I shouldn't have to worry about my meter given that it was acquired second hand (though from a reputable seller) and was last certified in 2007, then I will be happy and not worry about it.

My recommendation would now be more towards having a re-cert done or a least borrow a known accurate i1 to compare, due to the unknown history of your device and it's reported age, you have mentioned and It will probably be on it's borderline now for accuracy anyway, if not past it.

You would never know if it was still accurate otherwise.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page