What is the Point of Buying a Consumer Level Colormeter ... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2013, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
... gven that most seem to themselves require regular calibration otherwise they give faulty results?

I have a Spyder2 and an Eye One and neither one of them seem to be able to get me anywhere near 65k.

The Spyder2 is the better meter in my experience, especially with laptop monitor calibration, but with my front screen projector it has an obvious red misread, in that it tells me I need more red in my grayscale to the point that people's faces are tinted an obvious crimson ...

Why do we bother to buy these meters if they're just going to lose their accuracy in a relatively short amount of time?

My follow up question, is, of course: is there a relatively affordable meter that doesn't itself need to regularly be re calibrated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-20-2013, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Try i1pro spectrophotometer....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #3 of 5 Old 07-20-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

Why do we bother to buy these meters if they're just going to lose their accuracy in a relatively short amount of time?

Same reason we go to Harbor Freight to buy a hammer drill that will only work for 1 project if you are lucky.. the cost of a quality product is less than the amount of money we are willing to spend so we buy the cheap stuff. Only thing wrong with that is when we thing the cheap stuff is supposed to be like the good stuff and get all upset when it won't drill the hole in the reinforced concrete and then breaks 2 days after warranty is up or is DOA out of the box before the project starts. People are suckers for Cheap especially if they think they will only use a tool once or twice..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

My follow up question, is, of course: is there a relatively affordable meter that doesn't itself need to regularly be re calibrated?
No, even the $8000 spectros need to be checked and re-certified. If you don't do that how do you know they are accurate? The current i1 Display Pro, is the follow on to the entry level colorimeter and has sealed optics that as supposed to last much longer than what you currently have. However you still need to profile against a spectro for the most accurate results. A used i1pro spectro can be had now for about $300, have it certified (not sure what that costs) and you can profile your current meters if they are not to far gone and they will be much more accurate.

Do a forum search on meter profile for more info, there are many many many posts on this very subject.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The i1 Pro Spectrophotometer is incredibly durable as are the new i1 Display Pro.

If you are just a hobbiest either of those choices should give you years of reliable calibrations. For a professional you want to get your meter certified every year, but that's because you are staking your reputation and taking money based on the fact that you have accurate gear.
PlasmaPZ80U likes this.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page