Can you please Recc'd a HDTV Calibrator - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi after reading through so many settings it seems like its just best to get a calibrator and do this yourself for you ambient lighting and room. I'd like to buy a HDTV calibrator in the $150-200 range. Max $250 I guess if it is really good. Looking on amazon only thing I found is Datacolor Spyder4Pro or Spyder4elite. They are designed for Monitors which I'd like to use as well, but main reason for use will be HDTV. Says you can get a upgrade kit for TVs. Not sure how well this works. Can someone comment on this one or there something better that does the job.

The colors don't need to 100% right on accurate but if I can get in the 90~95% range I'll be very happy. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

Most enthusiasts today look at the X-rite I1 Display Pro 3 ... (D3). It sells in the $250 to $300 range.

Of course that is just a piece of hardware and at retail, the software packed with it only works on computers ...

You will need additional software for non-computer tvs in the house just used to watch cable or movies ...and such. This can cost you anywhere from free to $300 for entry level stuff.

That said, software does not magically sprout arms and calibrate your TV for you. You have to learn all this yourself and it will take time ...

This article covers the basic thought process and your options once you decide that you want to do something about the pictures on the TV.

This article talks about the people that get mad when the hammer they buy does not teach them how to build a house too.

And this article covers what you found out about copying settings from other people.

So now that you have decided that you want hardware and software, you need to weigh how much the cost of your time is worth to you. If it has little worth and you simply enjoy scrounging around on the web for tidbits of calibration information here and there, then get to it and it may take you a year to scrounge up enough information to get to a proper end result. But if you want to get to the end result faster ... then you have to start considering some level of professional training ... be it real live training or online training.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty good with technical stuff...have experimented enough with online settings/copying setting to know that they almost never work....so finally figured rather than wasting that much time I can get something to calibrate all my TV's and monitors and do it for family members as well. I want to go the piece of hardware/software route. i don't want to spend more than $250 on the hardware. the X-rite I1 Display Pro 3 has crappy reviews on Amazon (3.5/5.0) most of them being for the software. (especially for Mac's, which is what I mainly use now days) Does it only work with Xrite software or are there other third party software that can be used? Thanks,

Datacolor Spyder4Elite S4EL100 Colorimeter for Display Calibration is rated much higher in the same price range.

Datacolor Spyder4Pro S4P100 Colorimeter for Display Calibration is also rated higher and 4.0 with much lower price tag.

So are the X-Rite system and Spyder the two main one or is there anything else?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 222
There are really a TON of things to understand and consider before getting into calibration. It is not as simple as getting a meter and doing the job.

You should REALLY study the calibration basics thread here.

Your meter must be supported by the software you are going to use for calibration. If you think you are going to use "free" calibration software, you may find that the number of meters that are supported is limited and the one you bought might not be one of the supported meters.

You should, at a MINIMUM, visit spectracal.com where you can purchase "bundled" meters and compatible software. And their entry level software packages are focused on people like you who just want to get a good calibration without a ton of options and having to know every single detail about calibration in order to get a good result.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #5 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Good god!
Quote:
Most DIY’ers end up buying test equipment in the range of $300 to $1000.  The $1000 meters are considerably more accurate than the meters at $300 and under. 
post #6 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 164
From a hardware perspective, the i1 Display Pro is a much more accurate higher performance colorimeter.

I can't speak to the software, if you only plan on calibrating PCs/Macs, then the pack in software can be important, but if you are going to be using it to calibrate Televisions, then using the best hardware is important as I believe all the major video calibration packages use the i1 Display Pro retail unit now.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #7 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Fascinating stuff watching the calibration training video on tlvexp.ca with, Michael Chen. Scary the prices roughly getting your tv done as a standard calibration. As the other guy said, Ray... depends what needs to be done. Imagine what it must be for some people who has 3 HDTV's in their house and if they were pretty hardcore after accuracy. Getting one done would put the others to shame.

I guess graphs are out the window as well. I actually thought those were accurate.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

From a hardware perspective, the i1 Display Pro is a much more accurate higher performance colorimeter.

I can't speak to the software, if you only plan on calibrating PCs/Macs, then the pack in software can be important, but if you are going to be using it to calibrate Televisions, then using the best hardware is important as I believe all the major video calibration packages use the i1 Display Pro retail unit now.

Good to know. i'll look for software that is well supported by it. Any suggestions btw?
Quote:
You should REALLY study the calibration basics thread here.

Where is the calibration basic thread? I didn't see any stickies in the section. Thanks.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page