TV calibration with Spyder4 Express - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all! Is it possible to calibrate a TV with the Spyder4Express calibrator?

The reason why I'm asking is that the local photo shop only rents out the Spyder4 Express and not the TV version (Spyder4TV). I don't intend to buy one yet as I'm not sure if it'll produce the results - therefore looking for a workaround if possible.

Also, I'm often using the TV (Sharp LE745U) as a "monitor" for my laptop through HDMI if that makes a difference.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

If you calibrate it with your computer, the computer has to be connected to the display all the time and you have to watch everything through the computer. The program creates ICC profiles that have to be loaded up everytime the computer boots up with that display.

You need a stand alone program to use the probe to calibrate the TV ... like HCFR ...

Such programs are not self calibrating so you have to learn how to use the program and teach yourself how to calibrate TVs.

This article discusses the options that people face when they decide they want to calibrate their TV.

1. Buy a test disc.
2. Get a test disc and hardware and software ... teach yourself how to do it. Spend a year scrounging for tidbits on how to do this stuff right.
3. Hire a professional with the proper gear to do it.
4. Get a test disc and hardware and software ... and get professional level video training on how to do this. Beats the scrounging for information part.
5. Buy another TV that actually comes calibrated out of the box. (good luck with that)

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the thorough reply - quite a reality check.

I've been considering points 1 (have been using the calibration disc from this forum) and 2 because a TV calibration as a service, it seems, is not offered around here. Same goes with training. Also 5 is not an option currently - I'm too stubborn smile.gif

Why I was going down the Spyder route (option 2) is that the usability seemed quite intuitive. And after quite a few hours spent on the forums it seemed "doable".
post #4 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

Of course training is available on a professional level for $1200-$1800 where you have to travel to a specific location ... but training is also available on-line which eliminates the idea that it is too far away. People all over the world can and have taken the online training. It really comes down to how much you value your time and getting to an end result which is the calibrated TV. If you are in no hurry if it happens 4 months from now or one year from now ... then by all means go learn it all for yourself.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page