1Likes
  • 1 Post By cfraser

post #1 of 19 Old 07-31-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello folks,

I just bought a X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display Pro colorimeter (and the X-Rite MSCCPP Passport ColorChecker- for what do I need that, it seems to come with the colorimeter) in order to calibrate my new panasonic plasma tv.
Now I am getting really sick because I dont know how to use it on my TV. I calibrated my notebook display today, and that was no problem. I must admit that I have no experience in calibrating TVs.
I read about a software called hcfr, but I also read it wont work with the i1 pro. In fact, I just copied the i1d3SDK.dll in the „hcfr calibration“ directory but I can chose only three options: simulated sensor, DTP-94 and HCFR Sensor when I create a new project in hcfr.
Is it possible to calibrate my plasma TV with the supplied i1 Profiler Software because I can chose „plasma“ as device in i1 Profiler? How do I connect the i1 Profiler with my plasma TV so it can display its calibration screens on the TV? Would buying an calibration DVD or Blu-Ray be an option here? I own a blu-ray-player, too.
If thats not an option, can you recommend an affordable calibration software?

Thank you!
Abecernix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecernix View Post

Hello folks,

I just bought a X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display Pro colorimeter (and the X-Rite MSCCPP Passport ColorChecker- for what do I need that, it seems to come with the colorimeter) in order to calibrate my new panasonic plasma tv.
Now I am getting really sick because I dont know how to use it on my TV. I calibrated my notebook display today, and that was no problem. I must admit that I have no experience in calibrating TVs.
I read about a software called hcfr, but I also read it wont work with the i1 pro. In fact, I just copied the i1d3SDK.dll in the „hcfr calibration“ directory but I can chose only three options: simulated sensor, DTP-94 and HCFR Sensor when I create a new project in hcfr.
Is it possible to calibrate my plasma TV with the supplied i1 Profiler Software because I can chose „plasma“ as device in i1 Profiler? How do I connect the i1 Profiler with my plasma TV so it can display its calibration screens on the TV? Would buying an calibration DVD or Blu-Ray be an option here? I own a blu-ray-player, too.
If thats not an option, can you recommend an affordable calibration software?

Thank you!
Abecernix

This is a good guide, answers almost all of your questions. Depending on your plasma you could use (commercial) programs to do the calibration automatically for you. If that's not an option, follow this guide.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You can't use the included X-Rite software to calibrate your monitor *unless* your monitor is connected to a "computer" of some sort that the included software can run on e.g. an HTPC in the HT discipline. Read that statement slowly, it wasn't that clear to me when I got an i1 Display Pro (commonly called an "i1D3" here) either...nothing, absolutely nothing at all, is very clear or documented with X-Rite software, and it has a slightly bizarre/unclear "workflow" until you get used to it. And there is essentially no technical info on it, nor details provided by them on the i1D3 itself. They are apparently rather "secretive", and I kind of understand why actually, so I don't get perturbed with them. The Profiling software does work on computer-attached displays, works quite well I think, but it does have that (understandable) limitation. It's even better if you have an ADC driving the display (while you're using it!, not just while calibrating). And the hardware is actually rather good. Soooo...no complaints here! Don't bother with the software on the included X-Rite disc, it's quite old, go to their site and download the latest profiler and driver version.

I use my i1D3 with the current version of HCFR. You do not have to load anything extra re drivers, probably...at least I didn't. There is an extensive HCFR thread here which has good info. If confused, just ask, somebody can tell you exactly what you need to choose re options. I have not had a single issue with the current version of HCFR with my i1D3 on my plasma. There is a slight learning curve of course, but it's actually very slight and you can start playing right away while you figure it out. The downside of HCFR is it doesn't have a good means of providing reports, but then I think it's not meant for pro use where you'd have customers etc. that you'd leave the reports with in exchange for $$$ lol.

Edit: I only mentioned HCFR because you did, and it's free = good for learning. Of course you may choose to go to one of the other pro software options once you've got your feet wet.
dvdr likes this.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Liked: 13
Hi Guys,

Is HCFR the best tool to use with the i1D3 for a Panasconic TC--P65VT60 or are there easier and better tools even some that get cost money like ChromaPure.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusdoan View Post

Hi Guys,

Is HCFR the best tool to use with the i1D3 for a Panasconic TC--P65VT60 or are there easier and better tools even some that get cost money like ChromaPure.
IMO all other apps just have nicer menus and pictures. Navigation and workflows can be easier with some apps like ChromaPure, but there is nothing they can do that new HCFR can't. Version 3.1.0.4 and a proper plasma correction file and also AVCHD disc are all that you need. It works fine with i1D3/Pro.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

IMO all other apps just have nicer menus and pictures. Navigation and workflows can be easier with some apps like ChromaPure, but there is nothing they can do that new HCFR can't.

I'd love to see HCFR's chart graphics updated. It feels a bit Windows 2000.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

I'd love to see HCFR's chart graphics updated. It feels a bit Windows 2000.

I think chart graphics are fine, but I wish there were good custom themes/skins.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Liked: 10

2003 to be exact. You can theme it a little to spruce it up :D

post #9 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the input. What plasma correction file and AVCHD disc should I use? I have an Oppo blu-ray player. Is there an ISO that I can burn a blu-ray with?
Lastly, is there a good step-by-step guide on how to correct a Plasma with this program? I heard that you can really screw things up if you don't follow a specific
order.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Calman has an auto cal feature for the VT60 just something to consider.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #11 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 01:22 PM

What does the auto-cal feature do and how does it work?
post #12 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Never mind. I looked at their site. It's too expensive for what I can pay for at this point. If you have to choose, would get Calman (without auto-calibration) or ChromaPure?
post #13 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

I think chart graphics are fine, but I wish there were good custom themes/skins.

Really? CalMan looks lovely compared to it.

CalMan_Grayscale.PNG
post #14 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

Never mind. I looked at their site. It's too expensive for what I can pay for at this point. If you have to choose, would get Calman (without auto-calibration) or ChromaPure?

You only need CalMAN Control to AutoCal a supported Panasonic.
http://store.spectracal.com/calman5/licenses

In the end a skilled calibrator would get the same results out of either product. But of course if you get into the CalMAN family of products you can always upgrade. Also I think it would be fair to say that CalMAN has more frequent releases and has a history of adding innovative features(Manual DDC, Colorchecker, Color Comparator) to the product.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #15 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 07:58 PM

Ok. So I just need to buy the control version for $299, download a pattern disc that I can burn onto a DVD or blu-ray s well as a cable I assume will connect the laptop to the TV so the software can directly send auto-calibration commands to the processor in the TV without me having to do anything manual?
post #16 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 PM

AFAIK, Auto-Cal will not provide the best results, possibly worse, but most likely better/good ones. I think manual calibration would yield the best and most accurate results.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 PM

If I want to try the auto-cal first, do I need to buy a pattern generator to fully automate the calibration or can I use a AVCHD? I started reading up on this on their site but am not sure about this. They are referencing the ability for the software to control the blu-ray player via USB or Wifi to manage the patterns. Is that true?
post #18 of 19 Old 12-06-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 529
You can buy a usb ir controller on the Spectracal website that would automate things for you

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #19 of 19 Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:

If I want to try the auto-cal first, do I need to buy a pattern generator to fully automate the calibration or can I use a AVCHD? I started reading up on this on their site but am not sure about this. They are referencing the ability for the software to control the blu-ray player via USB or Wifi to manage the patterns. Is that true?

I'm not sure you can do a fully AutoCAL for Grayscale + 6-Axis CMS using AVSHD Disk + IR + CalMAN, I believe you will be able to do only single grayscale or color gamut runs. Ask SpectraCAL Support about that feature.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Reply Display Calibration