Planar 8150 Posterization Solarization fix Color wheel Timming in service menu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I am working with an old Planar 8150 that is displaying posterization in highly saturated bright color gradients. No CMS, WB is at default, gamma film and contrast/brightness set with AVS. Contrast set for max headroom with all bars flashing. Sharpness 0, noise reduction off, dynamic black and contrast off.

The weird thing about this is the only settings that change the posterization and makes go away is lowing contrast drastically. Of course this is not good having to set the contrast at 25 when the pattern says 75. No discoloration, colors look great out of box. Have not had a chance to measure it but white is really close at the factor D65 setting compared to a calibrated samsung next to the screen.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this on a DLP where contrast causes posterization? I have seen this on my own LCD with to much CMS and another DLP projector with to much Gamma change but not contrast. An example of where I can see this on a regular basis is the blue back-lit panels on either side of Jimmy Kimmel's stage. This does not show on my other DLP or any of my flat screens all using the same STB. My local news ABC 6 has similar color background with the same results.. also when the weather women wear fluorescent colored dresses, a fire scene in Burn Notice.. sometimes during commercial channel fadeout.. Switched STB to 720p from 1080i , no change.. Contrast is the only thing so far that effects it.

Any insight or guesses much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
yup.
Check your color wheel timing.
airscapes likes this.

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #3 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I think it is fixed!
For those folks in the future that google for Planar PD8150 Service Menu Codes or PD8150 codes or Planar Color Wheel Timing. or Planar 8150 Posterization or Planar PD8150 Banding

Service menu access is:
enter, up, down, left, right, left

BE CAREFUL DO NOT HIT ANY OTHER OPTION other than Color wheel delay and test patterns. Write down the starting number for the delay. I have no idea what the other options do, and since Planar won't give info to anyone but dealers and authorized service I would suggest staying out as you could brick your projector! Now on to the fix..
Use the up and down arrows to move and enter to select, left right changes values. Flip through the test patterns and you will vertical banding on some of them if the CW delay is your issue. Once you get back around through patterns to the SM, go up to the color wheel delay and change it 2 clicks one way or the other, cycle the patterns again.. continue till you see the banding getting better or worse, the goal is to make it go away . I had to change mine from 106 down to the low 90s.. Once it was gone, I I kept going till the banding came back and split the difference between the the two points where it started about which in my case was 90 but the number will never be the same between units.

Still need to verify with the local news and Jimmy K tonight but I thing it is good to go.
BTW Runco/Planar tech support says there are no hidden menus and you must send the projector back to the factory. They will only give the date authorized dealers and service centers..

UPDATE Problem has been corrected all content looks as it should, solarization is gone!
Thanks Gregg!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page