Samsung Calibration Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I have just bought the disney wow hd calibration dvd and plan on optimizing my samsung UE32F5000, the only problem is I'am not sure on some of the settings on my tv to start calibrating, the first thing I'am going to do is obviously reset the picture and start from there

Some of the settings I'am not familiar with include

dynamic contrast - off / low / medium / high - I'am not sure which setting to start calibrating from ?

HDMI black level - low / normal - low seems to improve blacks, but what do I start with low or normal ?

black tone - off / dark / darker / darkest - do I start calibrating from the off mode ?

any advice on these 3 would be appreciated

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would suggest:
Dynamic contrast- Off
HDMI black level- Low (on the samsungs I've seen, this is greyed out and showing Normal when using the BD player, but in reality it is actually using Low) Low is for Video levels and Normal is for PC levels.
Black tone- Off
post #3 of 10 Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

Start in movie mode. Things like dynamic this or that are not turned on in that mode.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the answers to the previous questions

I do have a couple more

Backlight settings - is this set to a pattern the same way as contrast ?

whats the difference between brightness and the dark black tone setting ?

thanks again
post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

You should look at a test pattern for the black level stuff and see what happens.

This article talks about how you should go about setting contrast ...

should probably look at a bunch of the other articles on that site too to help you in your learning journey.

There is no pattern for back light. The use of it is a trade off in one way or another. More light output ... but it hurts the black level ... better black level and it hurts the light output ...

regards

post #6 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 11:28 AM

Hello. I have the Sammy LN46A650 tv. I calibrated it via the SM. It came out fantastic with IRE below mostly 1.5 or 2. My question is once I cal. via the
SM, do I need to go and change anything in the User Menu once I have set it within the SM? Are the user menu settings applied after the SM is set or do the user menu settings that are displayed the default values based on the SM settings that I just did???? I guess what I am trying to ask is do I have to recalibrate my tv from within the User Menu because the user settings are different from the SM settings that I just calibrated (Bri, Cont., White Balance, Color Space, etc)? How does the SM cal. settings translate into the UM display/settings?

Thanks...

Capt. Bob

Bob
post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Usually you are just calibrating Gray Scale in the service menu, the other picture controls should be adjusted in conjunction with that. What software are you using ? There is usually a workflow that would guide you in the proper steps.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #8 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

You know that IRE is a reference to stimulus level for CRT TVs right? A 100 IRE pattern is kinda like a 100% white windowbox pattern. (There are differences of course.) So saying your 1.5 IRE and 2 IRE boxes are what? What does that mean? ( I do figure you wanted to type in dE ... but used the wrong letters)

Do what you will in the SM ... and take your readings in the normal user mode. If the readings match, then you don't have to do anything in the user side. Doing it in the SM on those older units was like establishing the reset point for the user side. Reset the user settings and the SM settings kick back in. Aside from the overscan stuff.

regards

post #9 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by perritterd View Post

Hello. I have the Sammy LN46A650 tv. I calibrated it via the SM. It came out fantastic with IRE below mostly 1.5 or 2. My question is once I cal. via the
SM, do I need to go and change anything in the User Menu once I have set it within the SM? Are the user menu settings applied after the SM is set or do the user menu settings that are displayed the default values based on the SM settings that I just did???? I guess what I am trying to ask is do I have to recalibrate my tv from within the User Menu because the user settings are different from the SM settings that I just calibrated (Bri, Cont., White Balance, Color Space, etc)? How does the SM cal. settings translate into the UM display/settings?

Thanks...

Capt. Bob

if you're calibrating in the W/B Movie portion of the SM, when you go back out to the user menu be sure to select movie picture mode and do a picture reset... then make sure all user picture settings/options are set correctly

as far as white balance and gamma go, user settings for those should be at defaults (midpoints)

for basic stuff like backlight/contrast/brightness/sharpness/color/tint, user settings should match those in the W/B Movie sub-menu of the SM

don't forget stuff like setting picture size to screen fit/just scan and selecting the right color temp preset (whichever one you calibrated in the SM) in the user menu... plus stuff like HDMI Black Level, Film Mode, NR Filters, etc. (basically stuff in the picture options menu and possibly the advanced (picture) settings menu)
post #10 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM

Hi. Thanks for the responses! I am using the HCFR software. And yes, I did mean dE...that pretty much answers my questions. I thought that if I set the SM greyscale and colorspace, the UM would match at the default level. I was sitting around this morning and started thinking about it and then wasn't sure if I had accomplished anything once I went back to regular TV. I guess I will have to go and check the user menu to see what, if anything, has happened.

Thanks for all the help.

Bob
Reply Display Calibration