New Projector bulb + new screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
yin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought a new screen. The old one had a gain of 1.0 the new one has a gain of 1.3. The projectors build is also new.
My question is I had the old system calibrated, now that I have a new screen and a new bulb do I have to have the system calibrated again?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Yes, but if you are paying to have it done, wait about 200 hours of use so the lamp stabilizes. Both the screen change and lamp change effect the color accuracy.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Actually, you may or may not need a calibration. If the screen material is made by the same manufacturer, they may be able (or willing) to tell you if the new screen has a different color balance than your previous screen. If the screens are made by 2 different companies, probably the only way you'll be able to tell if the screen is different than the old one is via measurements.

Changing the lamp also does not automatically mean you need a new calibration. It probably means you need a new calibration, but you wont know for sure until measurements are done.

So the problem is... you probably need a calibration, but you can't know for sure until some measurements have been done. if the measurements look good... no calibration. if the measurements are "off" from where they should be, you need a calibration.

There's no way for you to answer the question without those initial measurements though. So you can learn how to do measurements yourself (and purchase a reasonably good meter and acquire software also), or hire a professional calibrator.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX -- ISF -- HAA